How many motorcyclists here?

I guess I should reply. I own a dozen motorcycles and ride mainly trails. My go-to bikes are:

1974 350 Bultaco Alpina. The first bike I bought. I just put a piston and main bearings in it last week after owning it for 40+ years and will ride it this week provided I put it together correctly.
1975 350 Bultaco Alpina.This is currently at my son's house.
1977 350 Bultaco Alpina.
Back up bikes: 1971 175 Bultaco Alpina, 1977 250 Bultaco Frontera.

I am also in the process of rebuilding a 1976 250 Bultaco Alpina for my daughter to use. I bought it 30 years ago for $45 and finally decided to put it back together. The bike was in much worse shape then I thought. Some items: wooden seat base with hole bored in frame to mount it on the bike; sand in the clutch, worn out piston, broken swing arm, hole drilled through the air box to mount the air filter, wheel bearing forced out ruining brake hub, etc.. The bike will be almost perfect within two days. I'll ride it a few times this summer to make sure everything's okay before delivering t to her in the fall.

Your name says it all. You must need quite a parts inventory with your love of the Bultaco

Those Bultaco's are like a blast from the past . Man those were great for scrambles and a flat track class . Never knew anyone who had a Bultaco for the road . Had a cousin in Ohio that used to race Bultacos in hair scrambles . They were great bikes for the time.

Don't know if this counts but we have two Vespas. A 2001 ET4 which is a 150 and a 2009 Gran Turismo which is a 250. Our homes are in tourist destinations so the Vespas are great to get around on.

Those Bultaco's are like a blast from the past . Man those were great for scrambles and a flat track class . Never knew anyone who had a Bultaco for the road . Had a cousin in Ohio that used to race Bultacos in hair scrambles . They were great bikes for the time.

I have two Bultacos for the road, both 1968 M23 250 cc EL Tigre. The El Tigre was a modified Metralla. The story goes that a shipping crate of Metrallas arrived at CEMOTO East with the tops crushed. Since the Metralla was not selling well (250 cc street bike), the crushed bikes were converted to a "scrambler" by adding an up pipe, smaller gas tank, and cutting the back of the frame off with hacksaws to move the seat forward all using parts off other Bultaco models. Later the modifications were done at the factory with about 700 total built compared to almost 5000 Metrallas. The ironic thing is that Metrallas are popular now and that some of the El Tigres have been converted back to Metrallas.

SonofCohoes: Yes I have some boxes of parts but I don't know what I really have. Bultaco parts are readily available and I think reasonably priced except for the cosmetic parts such as fenders which are expensive. I find I haven't used many real Bultaco parts once I get the bike in running condition.

Sold my KZ1000J many years ago. Always wanted a Moto Guzzi and a Harley, but DW was not a fan.

Even though I've ridden some with dh on short trips, he's really the motorcyclist. He bought his 2002 Harley Davidson Heritage Springer in 2008. It had a little over 5k miles on it. As of this date, the mileage shows 116,500 miles.

He has five states to go in the lower 48. His plan is to ride those states this year.

Here's a pic when he got his m/c.....

Attachments

• gbike.jpg
    gbike.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Don't know if this counts but we have two Vespas. A 2001 ET4 which is a 150 and a 2009 Gran Turismo which is a 250. Our homes are in tourist destinations so the Vespas are great to get around on.

Yeah scoots count, not flash but as you say, when one lives in a vacation spot, we do too, they are handy and fun. We use ours a lot. We have a new 150i EFI with ABS, it is strong enough to go 65 2up, not that we do, and light enough not to be a strain on my old bones, AND.... I can hold it if I tip it a little to far by mistake.

Last edited:
The last bike I sold before moving to California from Connecticut was a 70's 250 cc Bultaco Matador. It sure was fun the few years I had it. It wasn't much on the street, but on the trails it was a blast.

What bikes do you own and what’s your favorite type of riding? I’ve got a 2000 Goldwing and 2019 KLX250. Love dual sporting and riding the Goldwing through New England.

That's my dream. Also to drive the coast of Maine going through the peninsulas. What I also like about New England is how many roads are built next to rivers. Oh man, to be plying those roads playing "Appalachian Spring" or "Fanfare for the Common Man".

Live in So Cal but will be taking the doggies to that great part of the country this summer. Kawasaki 1400 Concourse here.

Anyone know of anyone who wants to do a houseswap-motorcycle exchange? I'm open.

Last edited:
MX until my last crash in 2012, healing takes too long approaching 60, so I decided to give the street a try. Not for me...

Bought a Yamaha Roadstar but went back to a KTM 450EXC dual sport, got rid of that in 16 when our favorite nearby riding area was turned into a housing development.

It’s tough getting old, I’m going to try to avoid it! Love KTM’s, just don’t love the maintenance intervals and reliability issues. I used to race a xr650r cross country enduro, a real powerful beast. After I got that out of my blood, I stuck to the street. Now dipping back in with the little KLX250, love love love this bike!

I currently have a Honda ST1300 and a Suzuki SV1000N. The SV1000 is the "play bike" for short rides (less than 250 miles or so) or for just zooming around. The ST1300 is the bike I turn to when I'm collecting Grand Tour locations or make an Iron Butt Association ride. Nothing like trying to crank out 1500 miles in 24 hours in the Eastern half of the U.S. :dance:

Lumpy

Sold my ST1300 last year with 200k on it. Currently own a GL1800 for 2-up riding and a FJR1300 that I’ll be riding in the IronButt rally next month. Riding more is my drive to RE

Two Suzuki’s back in the 80’s, a GS450 and a GS1100.
After a ten year layoff I decided I badly needed Vulcan 800 and rode it for the next 10 years.
A stroke 8 years ago left a screwed up sense of balance, so another layoff.
But last week (after years of incredibly gradual improvement) I rented a mountain bike for the day and made it back on two wheels with no spills.

Baby steps...

A side note: After riding very little but enjoying it very much, and watch my parents age into "they're alive but not living", the two combined into an observation that changed my "I'll never be able to save enough to retire" to:
"Ride until the ATM runs dry and then do a Thelma and Louise with the bike off the Grand Canyon". (I'll not pollute the Grand Canyon and I have a growing fear of heights, but the concept remains).

My bikes. Just got the KLX250, great little bike.

Attachments

• 976101F5-9373-484C-B3B1-50C1B3FA598F.jpg
    976101F5-9373-484C-B3B1-50C1B3FA598F.jpg
    667.3 KB · Views: 15
Got 2 Kawasaki Vulcans classic cruisers, a 900 & 1500. Got the 900 first as I was a newbie rider, then had an opportunity to upgrade to the 1500. But given the short distance riding I like to do, I think I prefer the 900 for ease of riding and handling. So gonna sell or trade off the 1500.

I race a 2016 Yamaha WR450F in hare scrambles. I race the 60+ class.

You don't stop riding because you get, you get old because you stop riding.

Got 2 Kawasaki Vulcans classic cruisers, a 900 & 1500. Got the 900 first as I was a newbie rider, then had an opportunity to upgrade to the 1500. But given the short distance riding I like to do, I think I prefer the 900 for ease of riding and handling. So gonna sell or trade off the 1500.

I have a C50 Suzuki with a modified drive shaft and a Kawasaki 1600 Classic. The C50 is much lighter at half the displacement but is so much easier to toss around and maneuver in traffic. It is also more comfortable like the Kawasaki 900. Now it doesn't make any difference since I have to sell both of them due to balance issues. I sure miss leaning into turns and wind in my face. My wife has a very nice (was top of the line) CanAm spider that I may have to try out.

2019 Road Glide Special
Mostly local riding and weekend rides with the local Harley Owners Group

Before ER, I would commute if the weather was decent.

Previously:
2003 Road King Classic
2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1998 Honda Shadow Aero 1100
1998 Honda Shadow 750
1989 Honda Hawk GT 650

Back
Top Bottom