How much do you spend on Food & Grog?

I eat fish, but caviar is too fishy for me.

No such thing! :LOL: I even like anchovies on pizza, although I think probably that option is not as commonly available these days as it was years ago. Oh well, I'm on a low calorie diet right now so I am unlikely to be eating pizza any time soon.

One can never argue about personal tastes. I remember Haha once said he liked fish oil in liquid form, something I can never do.

Even when taking a capsule of fish oil on an empty stomach, occasionally when I burped, the after-taste was horrible.

Yet, I eat all sorts of sea food.

If we ever had to cut back we would start with travel and then some of our eating out. Plenty of fat in those items.

I have a recipe that calls for anchovies to season the pan .I open the anchovies add the required amount and pop the rest in my mouth washing it down with wine . What a treat !

I use anchovies in cooking too. It adds a salty, or rather umami, taste to the dish. It is an ingredient of Worcestershire sauce.

The kind of fishy taste I dislike is different. It is present in nori (seaweed) used to make sushi. It is the reason my wife and I cannot eat sushi, although I can eat raw fish when it is good, such as tuna cooked rare.

The kind of fishy taste I dislike is different. It is present in nori (seaweed) used to make sushi. It is the reason my wife and I cannot eat sushi, although I can eat raw fish when it is good, such as tuna cooked rare.

I am not a big fan of sushi either -- too much rice. So when we order, I get a few pieces of sushi and load up on sashimi (of all kinds). The other way (and maybe the best) is Hawaiian poke. I make it at home with sushi grade fish from https://www.vitalchoice.com/. They even have poke kits -- https://products.vitalchoice.com/search?w=poke -- that would get you familiar with making it on your own.

One can never argue about personal tastes. I remember Haha once said he liked fish oil in liquid form, something I can never do.

Haha would be right at home in Iceland. The excellent breakfast buffet at the Hotel Holt in Reykjavik included a large bottle of yellowish liquid and a supply of clean tablespoons. I couldn't read the Icelandic label but I could sure figure it out from the smell- cod liver oil!

We spend around $800/month on groceries for 2 and $250/month on wine/liquor. We buy whatever food we want and eat mostly fresh produce and quality seafood and meat. We also like to eat out a lot and average around $1,100/month for entertainment, most of which is restaurants but includes the occasional live concert or play.

For the two of us, $600 a month on Groceries and toiletries. $0 on Grog, probably $200 on dining out. I am surprised at how much drinking can cost.

I am not a big fan of sushi either -- too much rice. So when we order, I get a few pieces of sushi and load up on sashimi (of all kinds). The other way (and maybe the best) is Hawaiian poke. I make it at home with sushi grade fish from https://www.vitalchoice.com/. They even have poke kits -- https://products.vitalchoice.com/search?w=poke -- that would get you familiar with making it on your own.

I had poke in Hawaii. I could eat it, but was not crazy about it.

I have no idea of what we spend on food, restaurants, or wine/beer etc. It is what it is.

I don't track the details or even have a budgeted amount. Off top of my head monthly guesstimate, DW and I probably $600 on groceries and alcohol (majority beer, little wine), and another $600 on eating out. Not something I worry about the costs, could cut back if needed. No need at this time, so we just buy what we want for groceries, alcohol or eating out.

We watch our monthly spend rate but don’t break it down into categories. As long as we’re below our planned spending limit, we don’t see a need to track the details.

We average about $600 a month for all household groceries, including grog. We are extremely light drinkers. We dislike the taste of beer (yes, blasphemy in many circles), and almost of the wine DW buys is used for cooking. We might by a bottle of something harder during the holidays but it will last us for the year.

Understand the concepts, except for food and beverage as personal development? Care to explain?

Don't even think it. If I were to count, I'm sure we spend a fair amount more than that, but it's not a category I track. For us food and beverage is equal parts nutrition, health care, personal care, entertainment and personal development.

Cooking well is a vocation in our house. DW is an awesome cook. Her Korean dishes are better than any Asian restaurant that we've tried. My two sweet spots are the grill/smoker and slow cooker (crock pot is mostly a back up when weather prohibits outdoor cooking). We both try new recipes or alter proven ones. Like many here, we cook with top quality foods and consider the cost to be an offset to meds.

So, yup. Personal development for us. :)

I was surprised how much our food spending changed after retiring this year. Ten years ago, I was spending $800/month for groceries, $800 for dining out, and $125 for grog. After retiring, it's averaging $450 for groceries, $350 for restaurants, and $150 for beer, wine, liquor.

The restaurant bills came down because I was cooking more. But the grocery bills came down too. I can only surmise because I was shopping more carefully and throwing less food away, but I'm not sure.

Cooking is a necessary evil ��. However, I enjoy cooking when having company.

Just looked up my spend for 2017----Groceries came in at $621/mo. Dining out averaged $148/mo. We really don't spend a meaningful amount on alcohol.

For 2017,monthly average
groceries~$700 (2 adults & 4 felines)
booze---~$175 (Baileys/coffee most morns,beer/lunch,boxed wine/evenings)
smokes-~$550 (love my cigars,and the occasional stop at the legal "smoke shop"

Retired 14 yrs and loving it.
My thanks to those who put in their time making Megacorps profitable enough to pay healthy dividends to support my lifestyle.

Just me. Food and beverages for home roughly $250/mo. Eating/drinking out another $250/mo. Doesn't include food and treats for the mutt.

Back
Top Bottom