I’m now pretty close to standard retirement age

dm

Full time employment: Posting here.
I’m 64 now, retired in 2007 at 50. But now I’m pretty much at what I assume most people consider retirement age. When I say I’m retired I don’t get the , your to young to be retired anymore.

I’m so glad we retired when we did. My wife and I were able to do a lot of things over the first 10 years that we couldn’t have done working. Unfortunately 4 years ago the wife went thru Breast cancer, she’s still here and doing OK, but her health has not been 100%.

I’m starting to notice a few things myself of coarse getting older, glad I’m not just now retireing and just starting to enjoy it.

Reading this blog back in the day really set things in motion for me. I started tracking my expenses and assets and realized I didn’t have to work when I had enough.

It was a little scary at first, there was that late 2007-2010 or so time frame that was a little concerning, but we got thru it.

So I don’t post a lot on here but thanks, and for those of you that are considering ER, I recommend it if you can.

Nice to hear the report and all is generally well. Health is something that benefits early retirement for sure.

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about your wife's medical condition - I hope she recovers.

I'm 10 years older and I add my endorsement to get out as soon as you have the finances to cover your expenses.

This post is priceless. An actual case study that proves the wisdom of not waiting until your 60s to retire even with a major financial crisis thrown in to the equation in the early years of retirement!

Mirrors my experience and the great ride after retirement. Retired in 2006 at age of 52. Now at 68 having the best of times. From a financial standpoint stayed on course throughout carrier when I started planning in my early 20’s! And must say through the power of time and the stock market am in a better position today than I ever dreamed of. One of he best financial milestones was when I turned 65 and went on Medicare. No more of that financially abusive Obamacare.

I was just telling someone the same thing today. I retired at 55 and got plenty of "you look too young to retire" comments. Now that I'm a few days away from 61, I just don't get those comments anymore.

No more of that financially abusive Obamacare.

Oh, for the good old days. Back when coverage was denied for pre-existing conditions, but if you could get it, you could lose it if you got sick or your costs ran more than $1 million in your lifetime, after which you lost your house in bankruptcy.

Oh, for the good old days. Back when coverage was denied for pre-existing conditions, but if you could get it, you could lose it if you got sick or your costs ran more than $1 million in your lifetime, after which you lost your house in bankruptcy.

Yeah. I really miss those days. I recall when my Megacorp stopped being our health insurance company (IOW all in-house) and farmed it out to a (VERY) well known HI co. I informed my doc's office. The lady at the office said "My condolences!" YMMV

I'm looking forward to when I can go on Medicare, and

• not have to jump though the private employer health plan hoops,
  • guess the cost increase each year.
  • have some minimum wage clerk approve/disapprove my Doctor recommended medical treatment.
  • have coverage across the entire USA.

Just sayin cost of Obamacare for us was outrageous. $2400 mo premiums and $6,500 deductible EACH on top of that. Was 1/3 of that before Obamacare when you had the freedom to pick the level of coverage that fit your needs. We did not need child birth coverage in our 60’s, etc. Basically had to front $30,000+ before we would see a nickel of reimbursement. In that respect Medicare is a god send.

Last edited:
Hdhead, I hope you realize that there has never actually been such a thing as "Obamacare". Everyone today is comfortable calling it ACA (the Affordable Care Act). Kind of like calling Medicare "LBJcare" since he signed that into law.

You say Tomato I say Tomoto. Call it what you may. It still sucks.

Hdhead, I hope you realize that there has never actually been such a thing as "Obamacare". Everyone today is comfortable calling it ACA (the Affordable Care Act). Kind of like calling Medicare "LBJcare" since he signed that into law.

And by the way, there is nothing “Affordable” about it. Would be better named the “Unaffordable Care Act”. But Obamacare works just fine for me.

Mod Note:

Let's move on, the ACA has been debated ad nauseum here and is not the point of this thread

I hope your wife’s health continues and that you both enjoy many more years together.

Back
Top Bottom