I Want This Car!!! :)

Nice car. I still lust after a 64 Chevy Super Sport with a 427. So FinanceDude, were you a greaser in HS? Or are you too young for that?

Nice looking car. The 3200 stall converter is not very "street driver" friendly. Just reading through all the mods....looks like it was set up for Friday nights at the drag strip. Nitrous takes it's toll on an engine after a while also. JMO....

Nice looking car. The 3200 stall converter is not very "street driver" friendly. Just reading through all the mods....looks like it was set up for Friday nights at the drag strip. Nitrous takes it's toll on an engine after a while also. JMO....

Yeah, my neighbor said the dame thing. He takes cars and fixes them up. He told me that on a car like that figure $1.00 a mile to drive it.........:D

Nice car. I still lust after a 64 Chevy Super Sport with a 427. So FinanceDude, were you a greaser in HS? Or are you too young for that?

Well, too young for that.......:) But I had a 67 Chevelle convertible when I was young, and then a 70 Chevelle hardtop, so I guess I got brainwashed then.

One of the dumbest things I ever didn't do was when I was out visiting friends at UCLA. One of the guys had a MINT 69 Camaro RS that he wanted to sell because the clutch was out of it. The guy I was traveling with was a mechanic that used to race dirt track, and he said he could put one on in half a day, and we could drive it back. I could have bought that car for $3500, and it only had 70,000 miles..........:eek: And I had the money!!

I would probably "de-tune" it a bit. I am not a big fan of nitrous, although I knew a guy that had a Fiero GT with nitrous, and I don't think anyone ever beat him in a race..........:eek:

DW knows one of my ideas of retirement is to buy a classic car to drive everyday. Every few years, I would sell it and drive a different one......kind of a hobby...............:D

I would probably "de-tune" it a bit. I am not a big fan of nitrous, although I knew a guy that had a Fiero GT with nitrous, and I don't think anyone ever beat him in a race..........:eek:

Perhaps, but it was still a Fiero... :D

Good luck with the Goat.. let us know what you decide.

p.s. don't forget your magnet...

DW knows one of my ideas of retirement is to buy a classic car to drive everyday. Every few years, I would sell it and drive a different one......kind of a hobby...............:D

Besides getting away from nitrous you might not need to do a lot of de-tuning. The gearing and stall converter are all that are keeping it from being streetable. The TH-400 is a fairly low geared 3 speed auto. Couple that with the 3:73 rear diff and it's winding up pretty good at highway speed. There are some good GM 4 speed autos that would let you keep the 3:73 and drop the RPMs at highway speed. Having the extra gear and dropping the stall would make it more driveable yet still aggressive.
Bowtie Overdrives

FD, be carefull when buying a hot rod. If your not a motor head you can run into lots of problems that will cost you a prett penny to repair. Hot rods are expensive even for guys who do it themselves but very expensive if you don't like to get your hands dirty.

FD, be carefull when buying a hot rod. If your not a motor head you can run into lots of problems that will cost you a prett penny to repair. Hot rods are expensive even for guys who do it themselves but very expensive if you don't like to get your hands dirty.

Yeah, I'm talking myself out of it more and more. I think I'll wait, the neighbor guy down the street is always buying marginal cars and restoring them to above average condition. He says if I ever want something, he'll help me get it at a good price.

Interesting, he told me at the car shows, he ran into a LOT of "show cars"that had Chevy blocks:confused: He said ALL the best sounding cars had Chevy blocks in them, even the MoPars and Fords.........:D

Not a motor head, but I've rebuily power steering pumps, carburetors, etc. I used to do all the tuneups in my classics.

that car is definatyely 'streetable' . dont let anyone fool ya! it all depends though on what you can tolerate

i agree on not using the NOS much, but it CAN be fun and addicting. another thing I noticed is that it is bored .060 over. On a small block chevy, that's the limit...it can not be re-machined and re-built again. Im not sure if thats the case on the 400, but if it is, that's a negative. especially when you dont know the exact condition of the motor

Those cars arent cheap, but im sure you could find a better deal that's been babied...not raced....

that car is definatyely 'streetable' . dont let anyone fool ya! it all depends though on what you can tolerate

i agree on not using the NOS much, but it CAN be fun and addicting. another thing I noticed is that it is bored .060 over. On a small block chevy, that's the limit...it can not be re-machined and re-built again. Im not sure if thats the case on the 400, but if it is, that's a negative. especially when you dont know the exact condition of the motor

Those cars arent cheap, but im sure you could find a better deal that's been babied...not raced....

I went and saw the car. It is in nice shape, but I get the feeling it's been raced pretty hard.

I told him it was a nice car, but I had to pass. He seems very motivated to sell, but his price was firm........:)

i agree on not using the NOS much, but it CAN be fun and addicting.
I wasn't paying attention when I saw the reference to nitrous before. Do race aficionados buy the same tanks of nitrous that are used for dentistry and optional abuse? No controls on those bad boys?

I wasn't paying attention when I saw the reference to nitrous before. Do race aficionados buy the same tanks of nitrous that are used for dentistry and optional abuse? No controls on those bad boys?

Not sure........:)

not sure those tanks would work...but for pretty cheap, you can get a tank, bottle warmer, and all the controls/safety features you need to run NOS the RIGHT WAY. There's a series of valves, shutoffs, etc that are needed to be sure you don;t grenade the motor. You also need to be sure you're gettign enough gas at the right psi etc

but anyhow,yes they use special tanks..

Back
Top Bottom