id this bird

thanx kyounge. answering the questions on your cited site id's odo as

Short-tailed Hawk - Whatbird.com

that actually looks like the other guy who comes around at the change of the season to eat a mourning dove or two. not sure that's odo though. odo doesn't have such a strong beak. just saw odo again day before yesterday. seems he's wintering here.

Cool, I didn't know you could ID birds on that site, I just sent it as a reference to where you could get software to put in a mobile device which could then be taken where the birds are, to assist in IDing them.

in the garden late yesterday i got a little upset because i found feather remains of a bird and i was afraid that an unleashed neighborhood cat ate odo.
img_763769_0_c9f00918b8f3d9884499e4e6cffc8a21.jpg

but just now i was delighted to find that odo lives. (possibly he doesn't eat just insects?) i'm still amazed how he blends into the garden because i had walked right in front of him but didn't know it until he flew off the garden ground, almost into my face, over my head, to land on a branch maybe 30 feet away. once perched, he remains frozen like he is part of the tree.

i went to the house to get the camera and made sure he could hear me on my way back out so i wouldn't startle him. also i say hi to odo whenever i see him so he gets used to my voice.

he let me get a little closer this time before flying off and again disappearing into another section of the garden. he really seems to like it here. anyway, before he took off i got my best shots to date. this time i can see in the pictures the coloring better, not solid brown at all as i originally thought i was seeing. (also cloudy day today so sun did not bleach out all the details.)

so with no further ado, here's odo...

img_763769_1_c89935898ec383c4a77b74c3bc6574ce.jpg

img_763769_2_e401b9d1141b0c1dc658075c9e3ba6af.jpg

one of these days i'm gonna get that beak to come into focus.

Lazy, I am now fairly confident that it is Chuck wills widow as Harley suggested, related to the nighthawk. Try to listen just after dusk for the call.

Lazy, I am now fairly confident that it is Chuck wills widow as Harley suggested, related to the nighthawk. Try to listen just after dusk for the call.
I think that's what he looks like too, but when I went to the ID portion of the site, I didn't get that result. It makes me wonder how comprehensive that site really is. Maybe it's just a demo of how the software works, rather than a comprehensive bird ID. Or maybe Lazy's perception of some characteristic or other may not match theirs. I tried with a bird I'm familiar with from out here in the Pacific NW, Anna's Hummingbird. Location and size are no-brainers, but after choosing a color it was no longer in the list of possibilities, because I thought of it as "olive" but the website thinks it is "green". Some of the multiple choice lists didn't seem to have any selection that really matched Odo, so maybe that's why it told Lazy he's a hawk.

The bird on the left might be a Ladder-backed Woodpecker. They are similar in the red cap but the ladder-back has no throat red or yellow on the belly.

I know this is an old post but I am a new member and am trying out posting.. never saw Quick as post reply before so just checking it out.

Back
Top Bottom