Ideas on getting rid of furniture

Also try freecycle.org, and Craigslist (highlight that it's free).
+1 for Crag's list. There is a separate FREE section. We disposed of 2 loveseats in 1 day.
When I was clearing out my condo i dispoded of 2 complete bedrrom sets and a desk that way.

Lately we've been using the buy/sell section of the Nextdoor app. I've gotten rid of several items on there in the last 3 months

When we emptied my Dad's condo for sale, there was some stuff in good shape and some not so much. We actually kept a bedroom set that DS now uses. We found a local hauler that hauled away everything else, and charged us nothing as some of the stuff had value and could be sold. I think we found him in the classified ads. This helped with the stuff that could be sold or donated, but we didn't have the time to deal with it all. DS being shuttled all over to practices, Working 60 hours a week, Dad was ill and in rehab. It was a load off of our mind not to worry about it all.

Craigslist free stuff page is the best in our area. It's listed under "stuff for sale" and then the category says "free stuff." I find people come pick up anything decent very quickly... like within 45 minutes.

If I were you, I'd call around to the local charities first. If none of them would take it, list the stuff on Craigslist, Facebook classified, and Nextdoor app. I'd imagine if it's in good shape, it'll disappear fast.

Whenever I have old furniture, I donate it to the local Salvation Army, and they're more than happy to take it. I also live in a pretty economically depressed area, and the Salvation Army store is usually pretty bare, so I think they're happy to get anything they can.

I called a charity that runs a half way house. They rented a moving van, and filled it up! Easy...I didn't even have to move anything. They brought a couple of volunteers.

I got rid of all of our snowbird condo furniture through a consignment store, goodwill, and bulk pick up garbage day.

When we had to clear out my Mom's apartment quickly we called 1 800 junk . We did have to pay four hundred dollars but it was so worth it . We did give a lot of things away first but just wanted the rest taken care of .

DW is in the final stages of dealing with her mothers house. Closing is a couple weeks away. So I went to the house yesterday and they are in trouble. They thought they could sell the furniture and now realize that’s not possible. Also found out that what they thought was their fall back position won’t work either. The thought Habit for Humanity would take it - nope.

So, I come to you, my super informed cyber friends. How do you get rid of this stuff? I know I can take it to the landfill but any other options? There’s two bedroom sets and a dining room set. All on the modest side in terms of style and size. All in good shape. Old but gently used. Any ideas appreciated.

It may not specifically help the OP, but for others....there is a company in Ontario called Gordon's Estate Services that has a very interesting business model. Their approach is to provide a one stop shopping that will reduce the stress for people who are downsizing or for estate sales. They look after the sale of the property, packing, moving and unpacking, cleaning and repairing the house for sale and disposing by auction, of any furniture or junk that the person does not need or want. Yes, you only get pennies on the dollar for the sale of what you probably feel are your prized possessions, but as another poster noted, you dont get much for used furniture or other items anyways, so is it really worth the hassle and stress to try to save $1000?

We used it for my mothers recent move which occurred at the same time as we dealing with my fathers stroke and his move to a nursing home, so stress reduction and simplicity was the name of the game for us.

I think that Gordon's is somewhat unique, in this field, but I suspect that others will probably entering this space with the greying of North America.

Link below, so that you can see what they do (and, no I do not work for Gordon's! I am just very pleased about how they made our life easier).

https://www.gogordons.com/?utm_keyw...MIyfKg_eqS5AIVionICh13DwQFEAAYASAAEgLP_vD_BwE

If there is a for-profit thrift store in your area, that may be an option too. They may come to you and pick it up.

Before my knee surgery, I needed to get rid of a sofa and loveseat so that I could fit my first recliner into my den (which already had way too much furniture stuffed in it).

I scheduled a Salvation Army pick up online for the next Saturday. Quick and easy. They are nice, reliable, and don't hit the walls or doorways with your furniture.

They won't take your donation if it is in really bad condition. My sofa and loveseat were fine.

Things are looking up. A couple of the bedroom pieces are spoken for. Let’s just hope they come and get them. They are extended family members so the likelihood is better that they will.

A call to the Salvation Army has their pick up out to October. What never occurred to me was that I could drop off. We’re thinking about getting a few guys and renting a truck and just getting it done. I should know more tomorrow. I guess when they didn’t sell, we thought they go for free and that someone would be in a hurry to pick them up. Unfortunately, not the case. By Thursday, we may still try the FB Market Place for free for whatever is left. Then next week, I hope to have the junk down to a couple pickup trucks to the dump and be done. Thanks again for the suggestions.

I have put furniture on Craigslist marked as "FREE" and someone usually arrives in an hour or two with a truck and a dolly. They always take everything, no questions asked. I'm sure some of them are reselling the furniture, but I don't care. I want to keep it out of the landfill, and if someone who is willing to work hard enough to pick it up and cart it away can make a few bucks, good for them. :)

DW is in the final stages of dealing with her mothers house. Closing is a couple weeks away. So I went to the house yesterday and they are in trouble. They thought they could sell the furniture and now realize that’s not possible. Also found out that what they thought was their fall back position won’t work either. The thought Habit for Humanity would take it - nope.

So, I come to you, my super informed cyber friends. How do you get rid of this stuff? I know I can take it to the landfill but any other options? There’s two bedroom sets and a dining room set. All on the modest side in terms of style and size. All in good shape. Old but gently used. Any ideas appreciated.

Salvation Army happily came and got our furniture. We kept the best pieces and sold them to a consignment store later.

I tired the free sign at the curb for an old TV, 2 days later it was still there, I changed the to sign to $20, it was gone in an hour.

We had lots of childrens books and school supplies. DW went to the local elementary school and asked if they wanted them. They absolutely did, especially the books.

Just last month I gave away an electric ceramic tile say and a hedge trimmer. Somehow got into the container. Glad to see them go to someone who needed them. It is amazing what we end up keeping for just in case. The basement in our new home was completely empty. Until our son decided to go to graduate school across the country. Now it is full of the contents of a one bedroom apt. It seems that the more things change, the more they stay the same. I doubt whether he will ever move back which means we will have to get rid of all that stuff. Again!

I had to empty my parents house out. It is a lot of work trying to find 'homes' for everything and not pushing it into a dumpster.

Fortunately I was connected with a local organization run by churches that comes and picks up household stuff to help people who are 'starting over'. Maybe had a fire in their house, left their abusive spouse, or out of prison etc. They took a whole truck of stuff. Stereos, kitchen dishes and cookware, beds (yes beds!), TVs. Maybe check with a few churches to see if they know of something? Real Estate agencies might be another check.

I did have success posting a note on Craigs List with general directions. The note said what I had and that it was free. I just set it in the driveway and it all left.

BTW.. nowadays there are a lot of very local Buy/Sell type groups on Facebook. You could try posting there as well.

Good luck!

Language may be a barrier. If you have french immigrants "libre" is a good term. German "frei". Italian is "gratuita". Spanish "basura" means trash, but is the same as free.

I live in the SF Bay Area. We recently got rid of our kids' furniture since they have moved out. I advertised on Nextdoor. Gave everything away and it was all gone within three days except one twin bed frame. We have decided to get rid of a few more pieces and have put those out on the curb with a free sign and the stuff is gone within an hour.

I tired the free sign at the curb for an old TV, 2 days later it was still there, I changed the to sign to $20, it was gone in an hour.

That's pretty funny. Especially the old tube-based TVs, a lot of people wouldn't take it if you gave *them* $20.

Put it out on the curb and have a sign "give away". It will b done in no time.

We are in the process of moving and had to purge almost everything. Facebook Marketplace is the new Craigslist.

True story. We needed to get rid of our garage fridge. It was perfectly good except the ice maker didn’t work. We put it on the curb with a free note and also posted it in the Craigslist free section. Shortly thereafter, a tall skinny black man in a suit showed up by himself and started to disassemble it to get it into a van. We went out to help him and he told us it was getting added to the shipping container that he and other families in our area were filling to go to their families still in Ghana. He said they would not care that the ice maker did not work...... I can still hardly believe my garage fridge is somewhere in Ghana.

Many local facebook groups have sale and giveaway groups within them. There is also an app called LetGo. I will be facing the same situation soon with my father's house.

Thanks for the ideas on getting rid of furniture. After we lost our parents, two homes were liquidated. Then my 100 year old aunt's house had to be closed down. I ended up with 6 garages full of furniture--after swapping the good stuff to our house.

Then I kicked my daughter out of "her"/my house, and she dumped all her garbage in my basement. We just spent two days cleaning out that embarrassing rat hole, and she's going to be furious her "treasures" are gone. I have a huge pile of trash going to the city dump in the a.m. We've told her 100 times people don't live this way.

We're in the process of buying another house 65 miles away, and will be moving after 9/19/2019. I've got to do a little reconditioning on this house in order to put it on the market at top price. It's a little ridiculous that we're going from 5200 square feet to 4000 square feet in our ER, but we're used to so much room. The new house is perfect for our furnishings and it's so spacious with 19' ceilings, etc. Now if I can just get my wife to clean 4 1/2 bathrooms, down from 5 full baths.

Back
Top Bottom