Identity Theft - Credit Reports

Do you check your Credit Report as a Precaution to Identity Theft

• Check it regularly (subscribe to a service)

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Check it 3 times a year using the free credit reports

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Check it once a year using the free credit reports

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Check it only when a situation arises using free credit reports

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Never Check my credit reports

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Do you check your credit report as a precaution against Identity Theft?

Do you take other measures as a precaution? (Please comment on other precautions)

I was informed several years ago that some information had been stolen. I was given free Credit reporting service for a year. I checked my report several times throughout that year. I also put a fraud alert in with the credit reporting agencies several times during that year. Since then, I check my credit reports at least once a year using the free service. If some situation occurred, obviously, I would monitor it more frequently.

I also put an Identity theft rider on our home insurance policy. It did not cost much... it covers legal fees, other fees to undo the damage and lost wages.

I've checked it yearly for a long time, and now that they offer the 3 free checks, there's no reason not to. Mostly just curious, but I also liken it to locking my doors when I leave the house. If I fail to do something so simple, it's partially my own fault if something bad happens.

I do the FICO thing every couple years, just to see the score. It used to only be $12, but I think the price is increasing with the new attention.

I'm not sure about the rules in my new state of MD, but if they allow credit freezes without having to prove ID theft, I'll probably do it. I'm also going to re-up on all the do-not-contact lists. I don't know whether it's due to the move, or if my 5 years is just up, but I'm starting to get a ton of unsolicited mail again, and the phone calls are trickling in too. Mostly mortgage and financial phone spam.

I'm not buying into the ID theft insurance. You aren't liable for most losses, and the insurance doesn't do anything for all the hours and frustration you have to spend clearing it up. But as with all insurance, if it makes you fell better, maybe it's worth it.

I subscribe to LifeLock. $10 a month and they continually put fraud alerts on your credit report. They also have a similar "insurance" type service that if your identity does get stolen, they will help you get it all fixed. They've just added a lost wallet feature that also helps when you lose your wallet. Cancels all your cards and such.

I got some discount through the NRA so I think I'm only paying $9 a month or less.

One grade A shredder for anything financial.

Free credit report every 4 months (3 agencies 1 per year)

and an identity theft rider on the homeowners policy I think it's less than $20 per year.

I do it annually, all 3 at once. I use "annual credit report" not "free credit report" that the quiz asks about.

Free being the traditional meaning... not a company.

Why not spread them out so you can check the status every 4 months or is a problem arises?

We check them 3 times a year, spaced equally, one bureau each time. I don't bother with the insurance programs as being a former fraud investigator I know what to do.

I finally got around to checking my credit report for the first time. One had my birthdate wrong (digit transposition) and one had my only active credit card listed as "in dispute", but the other two showed it as perfectly up to date and paid on time.

I was surprised that they did not have my mortgage that was paid off several years ago since that is my only real proof of paying things since other than the credit card that I pay in full every month I have not used credit.

I did not find out my credit score, but recently I changed insurance and the agent checked since it affected my rate and told me I had excellent credit score but not the exact number.

When I first checked my credit report several years ago, there were several accounts open where we had purchased items on credit at stores to get a discount and 90 days same a cash. We closed those accounts.

We found no inaccuracies.

I like the idea of putting a freeze on the report. Unfortunately, it comes with a cost. I wish our state would pass a law that mandates it to be free. IMO - I should not be charged for that... Any cost should be the credit reporting agencies cost of doing business.

Back
Top Bottom