If only one vehicle, which one?

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
In another thread, “Reducing number of autos”, the following comment caught my attention:

In retrospect DW's small suv isn't an ideal all around vehicle and we may replace it when the supply shortages ease.

Which got me to thinking - If I did downsize to one vehicle, what type of vehicle would it be? The above statement kind of surprised me because I would think a small suv would be a great multi purpose vehicle. I have a truck and an Equinox (small suv) and if I moved to one vehicle, I’d have to keep the Equinox. It’s not ideal for hauling, but it will haul better than a sedan. It also gets pretty good mileage and is not a bad road car. After driving my truck, it feels like a go cart but it’s great for making a Costco run - parks easy and loads from the rear.

So, if you did reduce down to one vehicle, or you already have only one vehicle, what would it be?

... if you did reduce down to one vehicle, or you already have only one vehicle, what would it be?
A vehicle is simply a tool. Tools are selected based on the job to be done. Different people will need different tools because their mix of jobs to be done will differ.

If I did downsize to one vehicle, what type of vehicle would it be? The above statement kind of surprised me because I would think a small suv would be a great multi purpose vehicle. I have a truck and an Equinox (small suv) and if I moved to one vehicle, I’d have to keep the Equinox. It’s not ideal for hauling, but it will haul better than a sedan. It also gets pretty good mileage and is not a bad road car. After driving my truck, it feels like a go cart but it’s great for making a Costco run - parks easy and loads from the rear.

So, if you did reduce down to one vehicle, or you already have only one vehicle, what would it be?

How often do you need to haul something? If it's once a year or less frequently, I would ditch the small SUV and go with a sedan.

Everything about maintaining an SUV is more expensive than a typical sedan. Tires, brakes, batteries--the usual trio of parts that need replacing are more expensive to replace. You admitted the Equinox "is not a bad road car", which is faint praise. Compared to a sedan it's noisier and has a harsher ride. Acceleration and ability to pass other cars on two lane highways, can't compete with a sedan. Gas mileage? Not going to be able to compete with a sedan like an Accord, Sonata, Camry, etc. As far as loading from the rear, most sedans have trunks in the back and the rear seatbacks fold down for pass-through of lengthy objects.

There are a couple of things the Equinox has going for it that sedans cannot match and that is the sitting position--you sit up much higher and can see the road ahead much better. Also the ease of entry/exit is going to be better in the SUV. But these two things are about the only practical day-to-day advantages they have, which I admit are powerful arguments.

I worked in the automotive world for 24 years, and have had over 100 new cars. My family still owns a big city luxury car dealership, and I consider myself a "car guy."

The hottest vehicles on the retail market are small and medium size SUV's, and manufacturers like Ford and Chevy have abandoned even making automobiles in the U.S.

Modern SUV's are almost generic in many ways, including size, engines, mileage and looks. Never have we had so many brands and models that are as close in design and quality. They get reasonably good fuel mileage and most have the same running gear as the automobiles they are based upon.

The market leader is Toyota's RAV-4 which comes in gas, hybrid and plug in hybrid. They also have a sister SUV in the new Venza which comes only in hybrid and AWD. We bought a Venza a year ago that's been trouble free and it gets 42.5 mpg in town and on the road. It's as nice a vehicle as I care to own, and we paid $14K less than the average vehicle sold--$32K.

Honda's CRV is another very popular SUV model from a superior manufacturer. We previously had an Escape when they first came out, and they're also very solid vehicles. I especially like the new Mazda CW50 made in Huntsville that's finally on the way to their dealers. And many owners really like their Kia and Hyundai SUV's that appear to be very well made. Chevy's SUV's are also solid.

The government is literally forcing Americans into EV's in the near future, but the technology is still not quite there to get me into one. Within 2 hours of us, there are no less than $10 billion being spent on electric vehicle and battery factories--and someone's going to have to pay for them. The average Joe Six Pack cannot afford the payments on an average electric vehicle--with inflation and house prices up 25%

We love our hybrid (our second one), and find it to be capable of cruising on the interstate at 90 mph. It does everything we need to do with a vehicle.

I hope that never happens but it probably will at some point... I still think I'm in my 20's (but know better). Regardless, "at this point" I'd take just about anything with a Hellcat engine. In ten years I may feel different. But as long as I live out in the open country, I'll need to keep a 4x4 pickup too.

Last edited:
A New one, every 39 months.

Well, if you are going this route get a new one every 36 months as the typical bumper-to-bumper warranty lasts 36 months. Don't expose yourself to the risk of something catastrophic happening requiring repairs (like touchscreen failure) in that extra 3 months trying to get to 39 months.

Well, if you are going this route get a new one every 36 months as the typical bumper-to-bumper warranty lasts 36 months. Don't expose yourself to the risk of something catastrophic happening requiring repairs (like touchscreen failure) in that extra 3 months trying to get to 39 months.

I used to lease vehicles and he can get coverage (extended warranty) for very little to cover those three months. My situation was a little different in that I was doing a two year lease with 50K miles. Even with that, the sales person threw in the extra coverage. I know I wasn’t really “given” anything, but it couldn’t have been much.

Not if you negotiate it with the leasing company at lease time.... :)

A vehicle is simply a tool. Tools are selected based on the job to be done. Different people will need different tools because their mix of jobs to be done will differ.

This...

If we downsized to one vehicle it would be an electric pickup truck, but one vehicle doesn't really work for us yet.

Or just buy a Hyundai with it's 5 yr warranty overall and power train 10 yr warranty

Currently we have a Rubicon and a model Y.. Couldn't get two more different vehicles. Because of where we live neither for a single vehicle home.

Actually that's a hard no from this guy. Maybe in another 10-15 years but not now.

We have a 2015 Avalon XLE and a 2016 Camry Hybrid XLE.
Both are great cars, I would have a hard time choosing.
The Avalon feels a bit bigger inside (although side by side in the garage, they are equal in size) and "seats" better, more comfortable with both heated and cooling seats, feels softer and more padded.
The Camry gets a bit better gas mileage.
Since we don't drive as much by not going to work every day, these two will probably last another 10-15, maybe 20 years. By then we will be late 70/early 80. Don't think we would need another new car.
IF I were to sell these and just buy one new car now, I would probably get a Toyota 4Runner, we looked hard at that a few years ago.

Last edited:

If I decided to reduce down to one vehicle, without a doubt it would be my small/midsize SUV. It is great for road trips, works pretty well for hauling large items, and has much better grip and road feel than big trucks. Even has a moonroof if we want to do a little "top down" driving. IMHO, it is just about the perfect all-in-one vehicle.

How often do you need to haul something? If it's once a year or less frequently, I would ditch the small SUV and go with a sedan.

Everything about maintaining an SUV is more expensive than a typical sedan. Tires, brakes, batteries--the usual trio of parts that need replacing are more expensive to replace. You admitted the Equinox "is not a bad road car", which is faint praise. Compared to a sedan it's noisier and has a harsher ride. Acceleration and ability to pass other cars on two lane highways, can't compete with a sedan. Gas mileage? Not going to be able to compete with a sedan like an Accord, Sonata, Camry, etc. As far as loading from the rear, most sedans have trunks in the back and the rear seatbacks fold down for pass-through of lengthy objects.

There are a couple of things the Equinox has going for it that sedans cannot match and that is the sitting position--you sit up much higher and can see the road ahead much better. Also the ease of entry/exit is going to be better in the SUV. But these two things are about the only practical day-to-day advantages they have, which I admit are powerful arguments.

I have to disagree IMO a well built small SUV with great safety ratings will beat a sedan with great safety rating hands down.

A lovely lady at our local funeral home was paralyzed in a car accident. She a very nice SUV type vehicle but for some reason if there was salt and whatnot on the road she would drive her sedan (it was a little older). She says if I had driven my SUV that day I probably wouldn't be paralyzed.

That's tough to hear.

We have a 2015 Avalon XLE and a 2016 Camry Hybrid XLE.
Both are great cars, I would have a hard time choosing.
The Avalon feels a bit bigger inside (although side by side in the garage, they are equal in size) and "seats" better, more comfortable with both heated and cooling seats, feels softer and more padded.
The Camry gets a bit better gas mileage.
Since we don't drive as much by not going to work every day, these two will probably last another 10-15, maybe 20 years. By then we will be late 70/early 80. Don't think we would need another new car.
IF I were to sell these and just buy one new car now, I would probably get a Toyota 4Runner, we looked hard at that a few years ago.

This is completely personal but in your shoes I'd swap out for a 4Runner soon. The safety boost you get with enhanced driver assist ,airbag numbers and sheer weight could save your life or prevent a crippling injury. As we get older we need every edge we can get. Bodies break easier, mend more slowly and our reflexes just aren't at 100% anymore (hard to admit but true)

We are driving an 18 month old hybrid escape that got upper 30's MPG on our last trip to the cities.

We'd keep our Santa Fe Hybrid SUV because we need some utility, and the mpg is decent. We want some comfort, and the ability to carry 4-5 passengers. It's clear GM, Ford & Stellantis are discontinuing most sedan production and almost every automaker has SUVs now.

Last edited:
I reduced my cars from 3 to 1 in the past couple of years. I did not go out much during Covid and the batteries kept dying so I decided it was time to downsize.
My 2004 PT Cruiser was the best car for hauling stuff, I once squeezed a front door with frame from Lowes in there and another time rolled a sod cutter from Home Depot right up a ramp and it fit in the back. It failed it's smog and the state gave me $1500 to retire it, it would have cost more than it was worth to fix. It was a very sad day when I drove a perfectly running car to the scrap yard.
I got a good offer from Carvana for my Sonata at the time so I took the deal.
I kept my Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, I have very low mileage on it and decent MPG so I decided to keep that one and I do like it, it's 7 years old and still like brand new. I can haul with it and if I sold it I would get another small SUV.

If only one, it would say a pickup. In our case we need two outfits, and a small SUV is perfect for that second vehicle.

I have to disagree IMO a well built small SUV with great safety ratings will beat a sedan with great safety rating hands down.

For safety ratings, yes it seems to make sense that an SUV would beat a sedan in a crash if both were in an accident with another vehicle of the same model. But by what objective measuring metric do you reach your conclusions?

We have a 2015 Acura TLX and 2017 Chevrolet Colorado pickup truck. The car rides nicer, is quieter, gets better mileage, etc. It does everything better than the truck except for hauling stuff.

We're selling the tuck soon and keeping the car.

I worked in the automotive world for 24 years, and have had over 100 new cars. My family still owns a big city luxury car dealership, and I consider myself a "car guy."

The hottest vehicles on the retail market are small and medium size SUV's, and manufacturers like Ford and Chevy have abandoned even making automobiles in the U.S.

My bold above.

To correct you, Ford and Chevy (GM) are still making lots of automobiles. Ford makes the F150, Ranger, and Maverick trucks along with a host of SUV's, the Mustang (ICE) and the large expedition. They are also making the EV Mustang and F150. They also make many commercial trucks and vans. GM is making similar products and the mid-engine Corvette.

Much of the above vehicles are made in U.S. assembly plants and will continue to do so. Both Ford and GM make various models in Mexico. GM has a large manufacturing and sales effort in China but not in Europe anymore. I believe Ford has announced curtailing manufacturing in South America, but not Mexico.

Both have eliminated making "sedans" here in the U.S. assembly plants and only focus on trucks and SUVs (and commercial vehicles).

Great question..we spend over $10K yearly to have two leased vehicles (between lease payments, insurance, gas, registration, etc), and neither is anything special (me - Jeep Grand Cherokee..wife - Jeep Cherokee). But I've often thought it would make a LOT of financial sense to get rid of one of them and go to being a one vehicle household.

We could easily save $5K+ a year if we could successfully downsize to just 1 car. And in ER, $5K is a lot of money.

It may also make sense at some future point to purchase v. lease, but in today's whacky inflationary environment almost NOTHING makes financial sense aside from trying to extend out our current somewhat reasonable leases as long as possible..

For safety ratings, yes it seems to make sense that an SUV would beat a sedan in a crash if both were in an accident with another vehicle of the same model. But by what objective measuring metric do you reach your conclusions?

Safety ratings are fine but to my knowledge they group sizes of cars together in regards to ratings. Now if you personally want to believe that a 5 star sedan and a 5 star SUV are equal in safety, that's your call. I don't need an objective measuring metric on something I value so highly, ie mine and my DH's personal safety. I'll spend the money.

Back
Top Bottom