If you haven't already, you need to Download the NEW 2020 SS Calculator

So, what's the verdict...higher PIA values?

Note that this Mac version will not work on a Mac running Lion or newer versions of the OS X operating system.

I see Mac users are still getting poor support. FYI OSX Lion (10.7) was discontinued in July, 2012 with the release of OSX Mountain Lion (10.8). Apple hasn't made any computers that can run Lion since 2012!

What is the advantage of using this calculator vs the SS.gov estimate? I’m retired and waiting till FRA (maybe). I’m actually thinking of just waiting till I hit a specific target amount.

What is the advantage of using this calculator vs the SS.gov estimate? I’m retired and waiting till FRA (maybe). I’m actually thinking of just waiting till I hit a specific target amount.

You can calculate WEP for example if applicable. Also it is on your computer so accessible at all times. I just prefer it, is all.

Well there's the benefit of an inflation adjusted annuity. The previous version of AnyPIA I use is from 2015 and the new one shows a $500 higher monthly payout - Yay.

For folks like me who don't have a complete 35 year work history AnyPIA lets you input each year's income (including "zero" years) and gives the most accurate estimate. (I was both a mildly early retiree at 55 and a late starter after grad school so I only have 28 years of "real" income).

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I got a friendly reminder last week to check my SS estimate and I was surprised how much it’s increased from 6 months ago. That’s where I got the idea to target a dollar amount since it looks like I will exceed the FRA benefit I’ve used for planning purposes at least 1yr before FRA. Maybe I’m just looking for an excuse to start before FRA.

I see Mac users are still getting poor support. FYI OSX Lion (10.7) was discontinued in July, 2012 with the release of OSX Mountain Lion (10.8). Apple hasn't made any computers that can run Lion since 2012!

This is ridiculous. Reminds me of the '90s when many programs were DOS-only, no Mac equivalent.

I entered in my information (salary history) and calculated my monthly benefit. Does it do anything else? It has a bunch of data fields that don’t make sense to me. Just wondering if there’s any real value to digging deeper into this.

ss.gov doesn't come up for me to compare, but I've been using the downloadable calculator at ssa.gov as posted by the OP for some years. It also lets me save difference scenarios for instant recall.

No change in calculation: I downloaded the 2020 version in the OP, opened the saved files from previous version, ran the "calculate estimate" function, and I got the same result as I had gotten with the 2019 version. Double-checked both versions. Verified it shows the new version 2020.1 in "about calculator" vs. the 2019.1 version for comparison.

Here are some others estimators:

https://ssa.tools/

https://opensocialsecurity.com/

Last edited:
I downloaded the program and went to forms and it's asking for my SS #, does it use that to retrieve my SS data?

How do I enter all my data?

I just don't get that wound up over this stuff. I'm getting close to FRA. I know what I'm going to get. I took the time earlier to go online and fill in all my years of employment. No income for the last four years. Done

I downloaded the program and went to forms and it's asking for my SS #, does it use that to retrieve my SS data?

How do I enter all my data?

You don't need to enter your SS. It doesn't retrieve anything as far as I can tell. If you look around on that site, there is a manual. I just kept clicking until I figured it out. Basically, you need to enter your earnings in the second form along with the date you'll turn 62 (62 + one month). So if you're 62 in January of 2025, you'll need to enter 2/2025.

Back
Top Bottom