If You Were Under House Arrest For a Year

Well, I may be on self imposed house arrest this week with the weather that we are currently getting! Maybe I should wait a few days to answer this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Being stuck underwater in a 400 foot long 30 foot diameter pipe with 125 or so of your closest friends is the closest I have come to house arrest. No sunlight or fresh air for 60-90 days and your only contact with the outside world was a 28 word long family gram 6 times during the deployment.

Being stuck underwater in a 400 foot long 30 foot diameter pipe with 125 or so of your closest friends is the closest I have come to house arrest. No sunlight or fresh air for 60-90 days and your only contact with the outside world was a 28 word long family gram 6 times during the deployment.

I have to admire anyone that could do that. I'd freak out in a day or less. Thanks to all the sub folks that can endure that type of duty.

I got a tour of the USS Enterprise(aircraft carrier, not a star ship) back in the 60's. The cabins made me panic. If I understand correctly, they were like luxury suits compared to a sub.

House arrest would seem like a party compared to sub duty for me! EDIT TO ADD) I don't think I'd be allowed to serve, more of a hazard than adding any value.

Last edited:
I would be extremely unhappy. If I have a little bit larger backyard, it may help a bit. Jail and I don't belong together.

I got a tour of the USS Enterprise(aircraft carrier, not a star ship) back in the 60's. The cabins made me panic. If I understand correctly, they were like luxury suits compared to a sub.

Cabins? LUXURY! There were two of us, sharing a phone booth lying on it's side, in the middle of a hallway...

:)

Cabins? LUXURY! There were two of us, sharing a phone booth lying on it's side, in the middle of a hallway...

:)

OK, I was 6 years old. DB was either discharged or coming home for leave. Family went to pick him up, DB would have had one half of the phone booth. He was trying to make DM feel better about his duty. "DM, it's no bad compared to how some of the guys have it." Those thoughts have stuck with me for many years.

I would go nuts. I'm obsessed with walking/hiking/backpacking and traveling. I feel like I am in a race against time to get it all in while I am still physically able.

I spent most of my working life on call and I spent many weekends doing computer upgrades. 80% of my vacation time was spent in the Midwest with my parents. I don't regret the time I spent with my parents, but now I am retired and (sadly) my parents are deceased and this is my time to get out and explore.

I would convert my basement into a gym and I would spend my time continuing to improve my physical abilities so that I could hit the ground running when my year was up.

Well if you live in a mobile home or RV no problems.

Attachments

• House Arrest.jpg
    House Arrest.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom