Impressive proselytizing effort

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
[mod edit]
Yesterday we got a hand printed letter in the mail. First class stamp, hand addressed and return mail address to a PO box. In ink, the pen pressure impressions are visible on the back side of the paper. 23 lines. A tract was enclosed, and the letter was pretty much a pen and ink transcript of the pitch we have all received on our doorsteps in times past from well dressed pairs going door to door. The letter ended with "If you would like to know more or do not want letters sent please respond to M. Perxxxxx P.O. Box xx Monmouth Oregon, 97361". The letter was printed by hand, not in cursive, and was done very neatly and slowly - someone went to a fair amount of care and effort - not high speed jottings.

It impresses me that people go to the effort of trudging door to door; I'm not buying, but normally wish them well. This letter impressed me as much if not more and seemed a brilliant Covid substitute for the door to door slog. Still not buying, but considering whether respect and manners call for a return note declining further solicitation. Telephone recordings that say "press 9 to be removed from our calling list" just get a hang-up from me, but this seems different. What think you?

Last edited by a moderator:
We got one of these handwritten letters, too. It was not solicited so it was not acknowledged.

We got one of these handwritten letters, too. It was not solicited so it was not acknowledged.
Pretty much. While I can appreciate the effort and dedication, as far as I'm concerned it's basically just another sales pitch, and another piece of junk mail I have to recycle.

I’d be concerned about how I got so “lucky”. I would not acknowledge at all. In my mind every single action is somehow recorded and compiled into Giant Database. I think if you answer a spam call the fact that you answered your phone at X o’clock on a weekday goes into the database.

One very good (to us) result of covid is that we no longer have those door knockers on our doorstep.

Absolutely no interest in what the JWs, Mormons, or Pentecostal/Baptists (or other faith groups, ours included) are flogging. We view them as a nuisance-no different that those knocking on our door trying to sell us security systems, windows, siding, etc. In both instances it is all about them, not us.

Junk or unknown mail does not even make it into the house. It gets binned in the garage.

We do not want to be 'saved' and we cannot afford anything that is free....especially vacations to timeshares!

Last edited:
We have a big grumpy cat sign with him showing his middle claw on his paw so no soliciting for us.

And I thought I was so special when I received my very own hand addressed envelope and it turns out that it is a mass effort? :)

Actually, I realized that it was spam of some sort since it was addressed to my husband with my first initial as the middle name. That is always a red flag to me that an item should be automatically dumped. However, in this case, I was curious since it was a very nice envelope, hand addressed (not that fake italic handwriting) and had a local return address.

I thought to myself is it possible that in this time of Covid a friend whose name I have forgotten is inviting me to a party that I won't be able to attend? How exciting. The very idea did send a little thrill through me. Such little things that can cause excitement in our currently bereft social schedules. Opened the envelope and saw it was from JW and they were sure that I had missed their presence on my doorstep. I was impressed that they filled out the whole card. So obviously this new project has replaced their walking about time.

[mod edit]
Yesterday we got a hand printed letter in the mail. First class stamp, hand addressed and return mail address to a PO box. In ink, the pen pressure impressions are visible on the back side of the paper. 23 lines. A tract was enclosed, and the letter was pretty much a pen and ink transcript of the pitch we have all received on our doorsteps in times past from well dressed pairs going door to door. The letter ended with "If you would like to know more or do not want letters sent please respond to M. Perxxxxx P.O. Box xx Monmouth Oregon, 97361". The letter was printed by hand, not in cursive, and was done very neatly and slowly - someone went to a fair amount of care and effort - not high speed jottings.

It impresses me that people go to the effort of trudging door to door; I'm not buying, but normally wish them well. This letter impressed me as much if not more and seemed a brilliant Covid substitute for the door to door slog. Still not buying, but considering whether respect and manners call for a return note declining further solicitation. Telephone recordings that say "press 9 to be removed from our calling list" just get a hang-up from me, but this seems different. What think you?

In my case, I decided to give it the same treatment I give at my front door. No response! However, if you do respond, you may have a pen pal for life.

Mine was handwritten and return address was a local resident (seemingly). JW pitch about the kingdom of heaven. Appropriately filed. Made me look though.

Was wondering about how come I am one of the lucky ones to be saved of the 750 or so. The paper was appropriate to start a camp fire.

I have gotten a few of these handwritten letters from local religious people, perhaps JW, I'm not sure. Some of them included printed pamphlets which included biblical passages. They always invited me to join them in bible sessions.

In one case, I received multiple letters from the same person only a few months apart! (So, ignoring it didn't make him go away.) This just set me off, especially when he threatened to visit me in my apartment building. I wrote him an angry letter back demanding he stop and threatening to call the cops if he ever showed up. I also told him I'm an atheist (which I am), and asked if he would like it if I sent him repeated unsolicited letters asking him to stop believing in god.

I wrote my letters on my PC so I saved them, making it easy to reuse them when I received similar letters in 2017 and 2018.

Don't these people have better things to do than send proselytizing letters to atheists?

Maybe it was done with an autopen. They look real.

Pretty sure someone spent some minutes printing the letter out by hand. Dots above the "i" are in a number of different locations, different curves on the upright line for "d", some "n's" are connected, some not, just too much variety. Proselytizing seems like a high effort job with lots of negative response and little earthly reward. Gal and i generated 50 post cards once with very little on them and it took several hours and I was real done with it. Kudos to the people who felt strongly enough to go to this effort. (But I'm happy enough with my own version of life and soul)

I just saw this call for a volunteer Hand-Writer-in-Chief.

Volunteer opportunity description

Our donors are our lifeblood and we are overwhelmed these days with people seeking to protect the rainforest in order to preserve life on Earth.

All evidence shows that a personal, handwritten letter is incredibly effective at making people feel appreciated. It will also encourage them to further engage with us.

Requirements

Excellent penmanship with a great disposition, positive attitude, responsible, and professional.

I fail on 4 out of 5 of their criteria... and my pensmenship suffers after the second glass of zin. :whistle:

I don't even know what "excellent penmanship" means these days. Cursive? And it's not clear if they want the volunteer to use their own words. It's a bad ad, but I wouldn't be interested anyway.

Since I toss all junk mail in the trash unopened, this ploy won't work on me.

Today, I got an unsolicited phone call from someone trying to get me to check out some religious website. I know I should have just let the call go to my answering machine, or just not bothered answering it altogether because the phone number, although within my area code, was not one I knew of.

The caller started off by politely telling me she wasn't a telemarketer, but maybe 10 seconds later began with some religious shtick. I yelled back, "Cut it out with your religious nonsense!" and hung up. I looked up the number later and saw the name associated with it wasn't anywhere close to the one in the CID. I have since blocked the number and posted a comment about it on 800notes.com

What is it with these people?

Mine was handwritten and return address was a local resident (seemingly). JW pitch about the kingdom of heaven. Appropriately filed. Made me look though.

I received the same. Like the OP, I appreciated the look and effort it apparently took to create this pitch, I filed it in the appropriate round filing cabinet without a response.

It’s sad to say, but I feel if you respond to such snail mail, email, texts, phone calls or any other unsolicited offers, that it just opens you up to future scammers and problems.

At least the covid has kept the JW's from knocking on my door every other month.

Small favors.

Robbie, I have a good sized grumpy cat sign with him giving the middle paw saying no soliciting. It’s rare now for anyone to ring the doorbell.

Back
Top Bottom