Influenza is here

Darn- I usually don't bother with flu shots. I got one last year because I didn't want to be in the same situation as the OP's friend (flu symptoms that make you think it's COVID) and I wanted to avoid any condition that might make me have to show up at an Urgent Care or be admitted to a hospital. I AM fully vaccinated against COVID and just got the second shingles shot- in both cases, I felt that the risk from getting the disease was far worse than any risks the vaccines posed.

Not sure what I'll do this year.

Geography lesson New Mexico is east of Arizona, minimal flu in AZ.

I always had trouble keeping that straight. Then I came up with a mnemonic so I CAN'T forget - California - Arizona - New Mexico - Texas.

-ERD50

I got the flu shot two days ago. I usually wait until October. My reasoning is that I will be among more people until December. Jan-March are pretty cold here and I’m much less social during that time.

They’re recommending earlier flu vaccines this year. Flu vaccine is widely available here in PA. I’m planning to get mine tomorrow.

I got mine at CVS in NJ yesterday. Waited 5 minutes after picking up a script there and asking to get the flu vaccine. Get them while they have them!

I talked to my local independent pharmacist yesterday who I trust. They have not received the flu vaccines yet, should get them in the next week or so. She said she is still recommending October for the flu shot. She thinks if you get it now the effects will run out in January which is too early. So I will probably wait to get mine first week of October. I asked about a booster for the flu shot in January and she said that is not approved by FDA and she would not give a flu booster. She also recommends 2 weeks between the flu shot and a Covid booster.

I went to CVS for my Covid vaccine booster today and several were getting flu shots.

There was a interesting article in the NYT’s a few days ago that said only people in nursing homes and severely immune comprised people may need Covid booster shots based on new information. I never get the flu shot but may consider it this year.

The Michigan HHS sent out a link to a CDC document from 8/27 and highlighted this part:

For nonpregnant adults, early vaccination (i.e., in July and August) should be avoided unless there is concern that later vaccination might not be possible

I don't know if there is something contradictory on the web site or if this advice applies to folks in Georgia but in the past school districts in Michigan have really pushed teachers and staff to get vaccinated in August and the CDC had been silent about timing

link https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/rr/pdfs/rr7005a1-H.pdf

Kaiser NW is starting flu shots Oct 4. I want to be first in line...

Costco in Puget Sound area at least is promoting their flu shot and has a new reservation system to boot.
Getting ours tomorrow. Have a Caribbean cruise in Nov. and hope to Pfizer booster in earlier Oct

I was just sitting around this afternoon when the thought struck me--"I wonder if the flu vaccine is available yet?". Called the pharmacy, vaccine was available on a walk-in basis, so I went on down and got my shot. Now, not more then three or four hours later, I see this thread, and some reports of people already getting the flu. Glad I got my shot taken care of today!

Going to go back to early Covid protocols. No face touching, constant hand washing snd sanitizing and masks. Not so much as a sniffle or cold during the pandemic. Dr advised that y hey expect a very low efficacy from any flu vaccines as pharma has so few cases to base it on. Who knows? Last Flu shot gave us a really bad case of the flu anyway!

Flu seems to be spread more by contact than by aerosols like The Corina virus anyway

Going to go back to early Covid protocols. No face touching, constant hand washing snd sanitizing and masks. Not so much as a sniffle or cold during the pandemic. Dr advised that y hey expect a very low efficacy from any flu vaccines as pharma has so few cases to base it on. Who knows? Last Flu shot gave us a really bad case of the flu anyway!

Flu seems to be spread more by contact than by aerosols like The Corina virus anyway

You can't get flu from a flu shot.

You can't get flu from a flu shot.
Actually the Doctor said it was my immune system mounting a vigorous defense against the flu virus which is what the vaccine is supposed to teach your body to do. But you can get a reaction as if you had the flu. Only thing is you are not contagious. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

But sure felt like I had the flu!

Actually the Doctor said it was my immune system mounting a vigorous defense against the flu virus which is what the vaccine is supposed to teach your body to do. But you can get a reaction as if you had the flu. Only thing is you are not contagious. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

But sure felt like I had the flu!

May have felt like the flu but I bet it was over in a few days. Last time I really had the flu I was sick for a month.

When I turned 65 I took the senior high dose flu shot, I had a immune reaction to it and felt bad and had a temperature for a few days but it was nothing like the real flu. Now I just take the regular flu shot, not the high dose and no problems. Strange I had a reaction to the flu shot and had no reaction to the Moderna Covid shots other than a sore arm.

We typically get the shot early and will probably continue to do so. Never had the flu (always took the shots) so not really disposed to change anything now. YMMV

Wait if you can

They’re recommending earlier flu vaccines this year. Flu vaccine is widely available here in PA. I’m planning to get mine tomorrow.

Careful with that. The wife and I usually wait until October each year since the efficacy of the vaccine will wear off sooner if you get the shot too early, just when you probably need the protection the most. Although we are into September already so it might not be too big a deal.

Yall we got our flu shots yesterday for timing reasons and we both had fever chills body aches couldn't sleep. Still glad we got it, but what a miserable night for both of us. Suggest choosing your timing for a down day afterwards.

Yall we got our flu shots yesterday for timing reasons and we both had fever chills body aches couldn't sleep. Still glad we got it, but what a miserable night for both of us. Edit: choosing your timing for a down day afterwards.

Have you ever had that happen before?

Last edited:
Yall we got our flu shots yesterday for timing reasons and we both had fever chills body aches couldn't sleep. Still glad we got it, but what a miserable night for both of us. Suggest choosing your timing for a down day afterwards.

That is interesting. I have never had a significant reaction to the flu shot for what(?) - 40+ years. BUT, I will try to time it to have a "day off" so thanks for the heads up!

DH and I both got our flu shots yesterday, he got the higher Sr. dose. No real issues except we both had sore arms.

Back
Top Bottom