Informed Delivery - a free new USPS service

I got my first email.

I've been signed up for My USPS for months now so I've always been able to see inbound packages en route (even if the sender never bothered to give me the tracking number). So it's nice to have a supplement for letter mail as well, especially if I'm expecting something important so I know whether to bother to go check the mailbox or not.

The novelty will wear off in about a week. But other than the actual transmission of the email from USPS to me, there's absolutely zero additional risk of hack/loss/breach, etc.

This service is just the USPS passing on the data they already have. Scans and images are captured at multiple points for every piece of mail in their system already.

This isn't really new, they started scanning ALL mail in 2001 after the anthrax mailings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_Isolation_Control_and_Tracking

OK - I didn't know about that. Here is another interesting article about the law enforcement use of the program:
U.S. Postal Service Logging All Mail for Law Enforcement - The New York Times
The mail cover surveillance requests are granted for about 30 days, and can be extended for up to 120 days. There are two kinds of mail covers: those related to criminal activity and those requested to protect national security. Criminal activity requests average 15,000 to 20,000 per year, said law enforcement officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they are prohibited by law from discussing them. The number of requests for antiterrorism mail covers has not been made public.

Law enforcement officials need warrants to open the mail, although President George W. Bush asserted in a signing statement in 2007 that the federal government had the authority to open mail without warrants in emergencies or in foreign intelligence cases.

Court challenges to mail covers have generally failed because judges have ruled that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy for information contained on the outside of a letter. Officials in both the Bush and Obama administrations, in fact, have used the mail-cover court rulings to justify the N.S.A.’s surveillance programs, saying the electronic monitoring amounts to the same thing as a mail cover. Congress briefly conducted hearings on mail cover programs in 1976, but has not revisited the issue.

Well, at least know I can see what they are tracking on me!

I noticed today that the morning e-mail showed me three letters, but when I clicked the link to see the Informed Delivery Mailbox, there are six. (wish I were home to know which one ended up being more correct!)

Anyone else seeing a similar difference? Maybe the "we only show you the first 10" includes their not showing images of non-first class pieces?

There are a couple of towns close by that don't deliver the mail. This would be great for them. Save people a lot of wasted trips to the post office. Other than that, I can't see much value for me personally. We rarely get anything other than junk mail.

I just stop by the Post Office when I go to town. I'm pretty sure the have a special sized battering ram they use to jam everything to the front of the box so they can add more stuff to the back. :nonono: I get all my mail, but quite often it is pretty well crumpled. :LOL:

Originally Posted by littleb View Post
However, kinda creepy to know they scan all of our mail.
This isn't really new, they started scanning ALL mail in 2001 after the anthrax mailings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_Isolation_Control_and_Tracking

And before that, anyone who handled your mail could see who you were sending mail to, and who was sending mail to you. All the way back to Ben Franklin times!

Oh, the horror!

I really don't understand why anyone considers this creepy. I'd rather have a computer sorting it than humans, if I'm concerned about security. Until they become self-aware, the computer really is not curious about my mail.

-ERD50

I continue to strike out with this. The USPS website said I needed to do the in-person address verification, despite having an active USPS account, and gave me a list of nearby post offices that could handle it.

The first one on the list I went to said they had never heard of it and could do nothing for me.

Today I went to a different one on the list, and I was the only person there at the time. The two clerks on duty were fascinated by the email I showed them (neither had ever heard of it). I pointed out the section of the email which provided very specific instructions to the postal clerks on exactly how to process it, and they said they couldn't even understand the instructions because it was something they had never done before.

At some point I will probably go to another one (3rd time is the charm, right?).

I continue to strike out with this. The USPS website said I needed to do the in-person address verification, despite having an active USPS account, and gave me a list of nearby post offices that could handle it.

The first one on the list I went to said they had never heard of it and could do nothing for me.

Today I went to a different one on the list, and I was the only person there at the time. The two clerks on duty were fascinated by the email I showed them (neither had ever heard of it). I pointed out the section of the email which provided very specific instructions to the postal clerks on exactly how to process it, and they said they couldn't even understand the instructions because it was something they had never done before.

At some point I will probably go to another one (3rd time is the charm, right?).

Take a buggy whip and a mustard plaster poultice with you. That will show them you are one of the good guys...

Just make sure that your address is not listed as a business address. This apparently doesn't work for business accounts.

Has anyone figure out how to get notifications for two mailing addresses? I signed up for our "town" address and would also like to monitor the "mountain" address. Maybe I just have to create another USPS online account?

Has anyone figure out how to get notifications for two mailing addresses? I signed up for our "town" address and would also like to monitor the "mountain" address. Maybe I just have to create another USPS online account?
Can your spouse create an account for the second address?

I posted earlier about the USPS Technical Support not really being in the loop when I inquired about Informed Delivery. We are signed up with My USPS under our street address, and have a P.O. Box in another town (our town doesn't have an actual Post Office). I was afraid that if I signed up both addresses with the same email that it might screw things up. Long story short - signed up each address online for Informed Delivery, but used a different email address and my wife's name for the P.O. Box. I'm getting notifications for both addresses under the different emails.

This service is very good except for a few snags here and there. I received yesterday's email notification yesterday evening which was 4 hours after mail was delivered.

Today I received my notification on time (around 7 am) and it displayed mail from a company that never sends me mail. I called them to find out what they sent. It is confusing on their end to ask them what is in the envelope. I just stated we were traveling so they would understand. I knew it was bad since they never send mail. Yes, a price increase.

I really like this service and it will be more valuable when we travel for weeks at a time. :)

For some unknown reason I couldn't validate my identity online so just visited the local post office. I was their first ever customer for the on site identity validation and they couldn't get it to work. To their credit the post master said she would figure it out and call me later to let me know.

I signed up and it works for me. I like it, helps me decide if it is worth going to the mailbox that day.:D

For some unknown reason I couldn't validate my identity online so just visited the local post office. I was their first ever customer for the on site identity validation and they couldn't get it to work. To their credit the post master said she would figure it out and call me later to let me know.

My sister tried to sign up at the post office and never got it resolved. They also told her she could not sign up online.

I sent her the online link today.

I signed up a week or so ago after a neighbor told me about the service. Seems like it may be useful when we travel as we periodically receive an unplanned bill in the mail or something else that might be deemed important.

The first attempt at verifying my identity online brought up some very unusual questions that I did not reply to correctly. The system timed me out for 72 hours and my second identity verification went smoothly.

As others have said... seems like an interesting service but not certain that it solves any problems for us at this point.

I signed up a week or so ago after a neighbor told me about the service. Seems like it may be useful when we travel as we periodically receive an unplanned bill in the mail or something else that might be deemed important.

The first attempt at verifying my identity online brought up some very unusual questions that I did not reply to correctly. The system timed me out for 72 hours and my second identity verification went smoothly. ...

Yes, I "failed" at my first two sign ups, so we tried using DW's ID, and got in with that.

The first time, there was a Q about which, if any, counties you had lived in. Well, one was 40+ years ago, my parent's place, so I figured I should not click that, as probably no current financial records tied to it.

But they also had a few items related to my daughter's address. I did co-sign her first credit card, wasn't sure if that counted, but I also did not check those. So I'm not sure if it was the old county ar DD's address, or both that "failed" me.

No tricky Q's with DW's, so that went thorough.

-ERD50

Can't resist. Since ~98% of what arrives in my mail box goes straight to the recycle bin, this "service" would be akin to a notice when the neighbor's dog is going to do business in my yard.

But for others, hope its a win.

But for others, hope its a win.

Useful for when I'm traveling. It's nice to know what's waiting although I can't do anything about it until I get home. When I'm not traveling, the service is of rather modest value.

It's interesting that the emails don't come at the same time each day. Is there still a human in the loop, or is there some other explanation for such wide variation in email delivery times (anytime between 7 am and 4 pm so far)?

Me too.

I also tried for the time reporting a piece of mail that was shown early Saturday but still hasn't shown up. Can't imagine what "reporting" does, but the checkbox was there, so....

I've been getting my informed delivery notice for a few days now. Interesting, although I don't see much use for it yet for a typical residence.

My notice this morning includes 3 pieces of mail I placed in the mail drop Sunday. One is for the previous owner, the others for someone with a similar address whose mail I have been receiving since we moved here. On all, I wrote "return to sender" in large letters across the front. My guess is the processing and sorting is so automated, as long as the original address can be machine read, any additional writing on the envelop is ignored.

I have had the service for a few weeks now and think the service is useful. Yesterday, I was getting a letter from the water company (I get electronic bills, so haven't gotten anything from the in a while) that was out of the norm. It was a somewhat important notification that my water would be shut off in the near future for a meter replacement. Granted, not important, but had I not gotten it, I would have called the water company to see what the information may have been.

Also, I am getting my absentee ballot in the mail today. So, where I normally only get the mail every 3 days or so, I know to pick it today.

I figure it's available at no additional cost so the value is there for me. Also, I think if enough people sign up for this, the days of the postal carrier "throwing away" large volumes of mail will pretty much come to an end.

Me too.

I also tried for the time reporting a piece of mail that was shown early Saturday but still hasn't shown up. Can't imagine what "reporting" does, but the checkbox was there, so....

Interesting. Keep us up to date if you would if there are any developments.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom