Internet purchase I believe it was a scam

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Ten days ago I made a purchase of three identical items with a total cost of just over 71 dollars. I was in a hurry that morning and found the cheapest price for those items. I bookmarks the company I bought them through and was going to look back at it when I got home around noon. When I went back to that bookmarked company the site was no longer in service. It also said, when I made the purchase they would confirm by email.

No email, no website and money taken from CC. As soon as I noticed the website was gone I contacted the CC to try to stop payment but they wouldn't let me do that. A man's name and LLC is on the CC that took the money and that wasn't the name of the company I purchased the items from. I can't remember the name exactly, that is why I bookmarked it to have for the future reference. I told them my story and they said after two weeks if I haven't received the product I could put in a claim for reimbursement.

What are your thoughts and has this ever happened to you? You think scammed and do you feel I have a chance to get my money back? I made the purchase no one else did so what are your thoughts there?

Last edited:
Just dispute the charge, you get your money back.

I 'purchased' a Honda generator one time, via a FaceBook ad. FB wouldn't have any fake ads would they?

Once I did not get an email with a tracking number, after a week or so, I initiated a dispute.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for the CC company to have you wait for 2 weeks before initiating a claim, so long as you have the opportunity to do so at that time. 2 weeks is only 4 days away. Consider that if they acted the way you suggest, the CC companies could be functioning as a way to reverse a transaction after buyer's remorse sets in. I'd wait the 2 weeks (or when you receive the CC statement) and then make the claim. It should go well for you at that time.

Document all you can otherwise the CC may not rule in favor of your dispute.

I made a purchase for a replacement remote control. Under similar circumstances as you, I was in a hurry and did a search on internet and found a really good price.

But afterwards, found out when I had some time to look at the company closer, the company had several complaints of running a racket. The company did not give the manufacturer remote control as advertised on their website, but in gave some cheapo remote and a letter saying the other remote was out of stock. Could get money back but buyer pays shipping. Ends up, I found out that the out of stock letter was their method of doing business (the norm, not exception). I did end up cutting my loses. Got a refund after paying return shipping.

The circumstances you described surely sounds like a total scam.

Something similar happened to DW about a year ago. She purchased an item online after clicking a Facebook ad. I don't think it was a complete scam, just a Chinese "company" that apparently resells tons of stuff they don't actually make or have in stock. So by the time they procure the item and ship it to the US, it ends up taking about a month or more to receive your item, with no viable return options.

After about 3 weeks, she tried contacting the company by email. There was a cryptic response several days later saying... "please patient, not scam, many backorders, Chinese New Year, blah, blah, blah." She then requested to cancel the order by email and there was no further response. So she contacted our CC company and reported that she never received the item in the timeframe promised and that the company was non-responsive regarding cancellation. They immediately credited our account but said the seller has an opportunity to challenge the chargeback, for example if the item already shipped and was held up for legitimate logistical reasons. We never heard another word about it and of course never received the item.

I stick with Amazon. They have nearly everything. They ship fast. More and more stuff is same-day or one-day. Returns are simple. Any problem at all, even if it's a 3rd party seller, they make it right. I called once because a few days after I received my FireTV Cube, they started shipping with an upgraded remote. They shipped me one of the new remotes for free plus credited my account $30 for the "inconvenience." I've also had them "price-match" items on subscribe-and-save if another seller has a lower unit price, before the S&S discount.

I think it sounds reasonable for the credit card company to request that you wait 2 weeks before initiating a dispute. Amazon also makes you wait something like 17 days after a promised delivery date before you can claim the item was not delivered. After that, the credit card will likely refund your money after they attempt to contact the merchant to verify that they didn't send your merchandise.

Somewhat embarrassing to relate, I too ordered a product, but this was a new product from a start-up company in what is called a Kickstarter campaign. Since production of the product had only recently been started, the estimated delivery date was 2 months. When 2 months passed, I inquired and was told that production was delayed another 2 months due to quality issues they were not happy with. Multiple delays later, I received a message from the owner saying that they were running low on funds, and it would help expedite shipping of my already fully paid order if I sent them another $30.00! So I asked for a refund. There was no response. I went on their website and saw the owner was now claiming that Kickstarter orders were considered financial support for their fledgling company, and may not result in a product being shipped.

So I initiated a dispute over the $55.00 charge with my credit card, what some call a "charge back." The customer representative of my credit card thanked me for attempting to resolve the matter by contacting the merchant first for a resolution. Then the rep immediately credited my account the $55.00 while they make attempts to contact the merchant. The rep said it usually takes 30 days for them to reach a resolution. In the meantime, an organization affiliated with the Kickstarter campaign emailed me, saying I need to remove the chargeback request before they would ship the product to me. I laughed. It had been a year and a half (I was very patient), so it was ridiculous to think they had any intention to fulfill this order.

You may get the items you ordered. Seller may be in process of new server or whatever.

Don't worry, just wait the 2 weeks. And maybe not buy from the "cheapest" guy next time eh?

Sometimes, I notice on my CC statement, the name and city of the company is totally different than what I was expecting, yet the date and price are the correct amount.

I'm guessing this can be because an owner might have more than 1 business, but runs all the CC through a single one, as there is a benefit to having a larger number of sales, plus probably a charge for setting up a merchant account.

Your credit card will usually ask you to wait until the charge is "billed." Meaning, on a statement, not on your upcoming charges. There is no real thing such as a stop payment on a credit card charge. If they got approval, they can submit the charge. Your CC, at this point, is probably only seeing it as pending from when the approval was issued.

With an online purchase, once you open a chargeback dispute on the transaction, the seller would be required to show evidence of shipment to your address, and tracking showing delivery to same. Without both of those, you will win 99% of the time.

The process is slow, but you will be made whole.

Outstanding advise! Thanks and yes instead of trying to save 3 dollars per item I should of bought through Amazon. That is the lessen learned from this ordeal. I also will wait till next Thursday or Friday before I contact the CC.

Sometimes, I notice on my CC statement, the name and city of the company is totally different than what I was expecting, yet the date and price are the correct amount.

I'm guessing this can be because an owner might have more than 1 business, but runs all the CC through a single one, as there is a benefit to having a larger number of sales, plus probably a charge for setting up a merchant account.

A lot of online companies outsource their payment process to a third party, which can result in a CC notation of the third party combined with something that codes out to the particular company you ordered from. Like FBB*BRY HOME for Brylane Home. That one's actually pretty easy to interpret, but I've seen some that took awhile to understand.

^ That is interesting. I hope I receive the product next week but I'm not holding my breath. It could be the items are coming from over seas and could take sometime.

My thing is why do people have to scam cheat and steal from others is the thing that really bothers me. I try to trust people but it is getting even my area it is getting harder to trust anyone.

I have never been ripped off on the internet. Hundreds (thousands) of buys (even direct from China) and not 1 ripoff.

My trust remains strong.

RobbieB I hope I can say that after next week. I do believe it could of been from China and it was a bunch of letters that made up the company name.

Did it take longer to receive those item RobbieB when you ordered from across?

Oh yeah. Sometimes it takes a month. Other times (even free) it like less than a week.

I dunno, no telling.

When you order things from China it's a crap shoot as to how long it takes. They send containers of packages, and they don't transport them (usually via air) until the container is full. So if your package goes into an empty container it can take weeks before it gets shipped. But if yours is the last package to go in before they zip it up, you might get it in a couple of days. Actually a pretty efficient (and cheap) way to ship, although it does sometimes make you wonder if you're ever going to get your order.

And sometimes they ship it via boat, and then it can take approximately forever. Thus the phrase "Slow boat from China."

^ thanks I may want to wait longer then the two weeks to get in touch with CC. I would hate to start the credit process then get the item. I may need to wait longer.

Thanks RobbieB.

It's called a drop shipment. From my experience as a ups driver, I can tell you that you probably purchased the merchandise from a guy sitting in his basement who neither owns or manufactures what you ordered but has built a better website to capture your business (with a little mark-up). He then has the actual manufacturer fill your order and send it directly to you.

Most drop shipments have the upper left corner cut off the label though so you can't tell where they came from. If that's the case then track the package and you will see where it originated from.

I just found a $3 credit on my Costco Citicard for "Homeowner's Insurance" out of Boston. I have no idea what this is for and will check it out tomorrow.

The CC companies always make you wait. A lot of problems resolve themselves quickly. I got an alert that a package I ordered from Amazon was delivered but it wasn;t at the door. After a couple of hours I notified Amazon that they must have delivered to the wrong location. They refunded me immediately. About 6 hours later the package was delivered but Amazon just blew it off so I got a freebie. It turns out some of these delivery people are registering packages as delivered well before they are actually dropped off. Very frustrating but I wait now.

^ yes, and I hope there still is the trust for me to beleive in people for their word. I will give this company the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong.

With no confirmation of sale or no tracking # giving to me it does seem strange. Also no website that is gone but I will see, all might be okay in the end.

An update and what would you do now?
Since I ordered it will be 4 weeks come next Wednesday. After that should I contact CC company and let them know I hadn't received the package and start the processes? I'm sure it was coming from China.
If one thing I learned I will never order from the cheapest place ever again online and will stick with Amazon.

Have you received the CC statement yet? If not, wait for it. Then file a claim. I understand that you feel like you've been taken. I have seen some things from China (eBay) take up to 6 weeks to deliver with little or no tracking info.

In the future, when ordering from Amazon.com, be sure exactly WHO you are buying from. Not everything on Amazon is sold or shipped by Amazon. It is sometimes not very obvious where the seller is located or what their return policy is. Some Asian vendors from eBay have now found Amazon and sell there too. I've bought things from Amazon where the vendor was in the UK (not clearly shown at the time of order). That took well over a month to receive.

^ most of your questions are answered in my posts. I might want to wait a bit longer to see if things come. Thanks

It's called a drop shipment. From my experience as a ups driver, I can tell you that you probably purchased the merchandise from a guy sitting in his basement who neither owns or manufactures what you ordered but has built a better website to capture your business (with a little mark-up). He then has the actual manufacturer fill your order and send it directly to you.

Most drop shipments have the upper left corner cut off the label though so you can't tell where they came from. If that's the case then track the package and you will see where it originated from.

Yes.

Drop shipment used to be more popular in the early days of the Internet, I believe. Back then, many manufacturers relied on 3rd parties who went to the trouble of setting up a Web site to take orders. Now, most have their own Web site, or their distributors do. Or, they can sell through eBay or Amazon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom