Internet purchase I believe it was a scam

If the charge is now on your credit card statement, contact the bank to do a chargeback. Don't wait too long on that, as your initial rights for a dispute are only about 60 days.

If there's still no billed charge, then nothing is going to happen at this point.

Just went through something similar. Bought a small item for $250 on auction from Yahoo Japan through a service called Buyee. My credit card was debited within 30 seconds, but I never got a notice of winning, a transaction notice, or anything else, including the item. I sent a bunch of messages, but no response.

So I went to PayPal & put in a formal claim. When they didn't get a response, after 10 days, they gave me a full refund, whether or not that item ever arrives. Both PayPal & CC companies will keep track of problems like mine, & will eventually cut off the seller for fraud. So, get your complaint in early, just in case! Easy to cancel it, if the item ever arrives.

I have seen some things from China (eBay) take up to 6 weeks to deliver with little or no tracking info.

I've had the same thing happen with an Amazon order. It was for two spring-loaded center punches for $5 so I had a pretty good idea of what I was buying and from where without even looking, which I did. Yup, it came (apparently) by itinerant steamer from China, and made it in about five weeks. But it did eventually arrive.

Don't wait too long on that, as your initial rights for a dispute are only about 60 days.

Actually (if the law hasn't changed since I retired) it's exactly sixty days from when you learn the charge is fraudulent. Nowadays, that "sixty days" can be a bit nebulous. Do you look online at your cc account every day or every week and see the charge then? Then that's when the "sixty day" clock starts ticking. But if you don't even have an online account with your bank and you only learn of a fraudulent charge when you get your monthly paper statement, then the sixty day clock doesn't start until you have that paper in your hot little hands.

All this is covered in that 4-point type, printed in light gray ink for easy reading, on the back of your statement. That is, if you still get a paper statement. Then it's um, somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom