Introducing Sofia the Cat!

Poopycat

Recycles dryer sheets
073329AC-6A9E-4E22-84EA-F28C64C36CDC.jpeg

Hope I successfully attached the photo...

Of course, after I lost my dear sweet soul kitty in March, I swore I wouldn’t get another. Then I decided to foster. But the application to foster a pet is harder than a job application :facepalm: - I understand the need to be selective but jeez.

Then I made the “mistake” of checking out the cats up for adoption. And then I saw Sofia, a 10 year-old domestic longhair. I have always loved long haired kitties. They are my favorite. I love kittens, who doesn’t, but senior kitties don’t get as many opportunities to be adopted, and it’s tough to give kittens the time they need when you’re working full time.

I really didn’t want to lose the freedom to take a weekend trip whenever I wanted, or go on a long vacation without worrying about finding a pet sitter. But with COVID, it’s not like I’m going on a long trip anytime soon. My final excuse was that I didn’t want to leave a cat by itself all day long while I worked and then did stuff like walk and play tennis. That’s not fair on a cat. Then our work from home period was extended to mid September, so I’d have time to bond with the cat and perhaps assess whether to add a second one to keep it company. It was like it was supposed to be.

So...I inquired about Sofia. It took the shelter three days to return my call, and when I did get a call the details were hardly overwhelming. It’s like they didn’t want me to take her. Stuff like “she wants attention until she doesn’t,” “she’s not particularly affectionate, but most older cats aren’t,” “an apartment is fine because she sleeps all day.” Hmmm. I decided to take her because I felt bad that she was given up when her owner got sick with cancer. I was not even allowed to meet her. I had to apply over the phone and pick her up curbside, like I was ordering fettuccine Alfredo from Olive Garden.

But so far she has been a sweetheart. I’m worried because she isn’t eating, unless she’s sneaking something when I’m not looking. But she is super affectionate. I expected her to hide under the bed or in the closet for days but she hasn’t. She’s incredibly playful. And a lap cat! I don’t know what that adoption counselor was talking about. I’m sure part of it is that she is jittery, but she is a sweet, gentle, affectionate girl. I kept her name, Sofia, but changed her official title to Princess Sofia Petrillo, Supreme Golden Girl :)

Congratulations! A shelter is a less-than-ideal environment to assess an animal's behavior, but the staff can only do their best with the resources they have.

You were very kind to adopt Sofia. She was in dire need of a friend.

It’s like they didn’t want me to take her. Stuff like “she wants attention until she doesn’t,” “she’s not particularly affectionate, but most older cats aren’t,” “an apartment is fine because she sleeps all day.” Hmmm.

lol glad you didn't let that put you off because um that's like 90% of cats! And we love them anyway.
May you have many happy years together!

Love to have a pic where she is not hidden in the carpet! :LOL:

All hail Princess Sofia Petrillo, Supreme Golden Girl! She's beautiful! She'll settle in after a while... It sounds like a match made in heaven. We adopt older pets too. I love kittens, but wow, they are high maintenance if you get just one. Well they are still high maintenance if you get two, but they can entertain themselves while you're away during the day.

We took an 11 year cat in after her caregiver died 13 years ago. I give her an injectable B-12 every week and it seems to help her appetite.

What a lovely cat.

She is really pretty.
And I’m a dog person.

Congrats. I think you’re both very lucky.

She's a beauty.

Good on you. All our kitties have been rescues. It rips my heart out when we visit a shelter and see all the cats and dogs who are yearning for attention and a forever home. They deliver more for our souls that we will ever know.

She looks like a sweet Maine Coon that found us many years ago. He was longhair and 26 lbs at his max--he was a huge sweet kitty who gave us many years of happiness.

Congratulations! You will soon be vacuuming that carpet quite a bit :)
I am pleased you adopted an older cat. I adopted mine at 4 years after he'd been nearly 2 years in foster care. I still can't figure out why he was passed over so many times as he's truly the dearest cat in the world. I'm sure you Sophie is tickled pink to be with you! I wouldn't worry about lack of appetite too much: she'll eat when she feels like eating. However, I've never known a cat to turn down a bit of human tuna fish. Maybe mix some with her regular food and see what happens.

She’s a real beauty! Thanks for adopting an older cat. Is she a calico or a tortie?

Congratulations to both you and Sofia.

I logged in just to see her photo and so glad I did. : )

I drove all the way to Atlanta to pick up a Maine Coon Cat rescue. Jax was young, but never grew large, so I guess he just looks like a Maine Coon. He's now 7 years old.

We took a new rescue cat from our daughter who bottle fed Itty Bitty. At 4 months, he's not so itty bitty any longer, but he's very smart and athletic.

Two weeks ago, the daughter came up with a 4" long 1 week old rescue. My wife is getting up all hours feeding him with a bottle. He's going to be a black long hair cat, and he's up to 6" long now.

I told the wife that we might need to put those cats in our wills, as they might outlive us. We might need to stipulate who gets these angels.

How wonderful!

We always had a cat or two. After our last one passed at almost 21 years old we waited a while and decided to try a dog. She’s great but very much DH’s dog.

I still love cats, too.

We also had a Maine Coon, and I agree with Bamaman, Sofia looks like a Maine Coon (or possibly the very similar Norwegian Forest Cat). IME, Maine Coons are very vocal, social cats, and are well worth the extra grooming and vacuuming required. Welcome, Sofia!:)

She is a beauty!
I agree, she looks like a Maine Coon. Our last cat was a Maine coon, looked exactly like her. Lots of work, but delightful cats!

What a lucky cat. Glad to hear you decided on an older cat who will now live out her golden years in comfort and style.

She is beautiful!
We have had cats for many years. When our fifteen year old cat died we decided not to get another because we were traveling so much. Well....you know where this story is headed...Last winter a friend died and her cat ended up at the Humane Society. Like Sofia, she was deemed unsociable and not well suited for adoption. I ended up taking her and since we have been staying home I am glad to have a cat around the house. She is the shyest cat that I’ve had, but she is slowly coming around.

...I told the wife that we might need to put those cats in our wills, as they might outlive us. We might need to stipulate who gets these angels.
We put $25k for the person willing to foster our two cats. Since then, one died at 15 and the other was put down at 18. But we have not changed the will as we will be getting another cat after we settle into our new place.

Back
Top Bottom