Is it Worth Anything?

mitchjav

Recycles dryer sheets
So when my MIL passed, DW inherited this painting. We have no idea if it's worth anything and/or if the frame is worth anything. It's probably a reproduction, but you never know - It's signed "I. Rousset 1881". I don't want to pay to get it appraised - just to be told it's worthless. Any ideas how to find out? Picture attached

Apologies - the picture is rotated 90 degrees. The light should be on top

Attachments

• 20200804_105921.jpg
    20200804_105921.jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 38
If you take it to a local art gallery, they will probably be happy to give you a verbal opinion of its value. In other words, what they might charge you if they had it and you wanted to buy it. As for what you could sell it for, that would be just a small fraction of that amount.

For fun I googled "rousset french painter" and I found it might be Jules Rousset. As in J and not I on your painting signature. He lived in the 1881 timeframe. There's a J Rousset painting on Ebay for little under $2000.

I agree it makes sense to try an informal value estimate. Seems from what I found you do not have a real high value art piece.

I am way far from any kind of knowledge or even interest in old paintings. Just was curious and that's what I found.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom