It's so hot...

justin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
they can't even fit all those triple digit high temps on the 5 day forecast!

Attachments

• 5dayforecast.jpg
    5dayforecast.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 5dayforecast.jpg_thumb
    35.6 KB · Views: 1
Forecast heat index for tomorrow in the D.C. area is 114!

Grumpy

we went to some garage sales on fri....one guy was looking for an air conditioner...says all of the stores were sold out.....hope martha got her's..... ;)

Come to the Lowcountry and cool off! Forecast for today was 89/76 (highest anticipated this week is 92). Right now it's 84 and fine out here on the screened porch with the ceiling fan running. Finished my iced tea and fresh Edisto shrimp (boiled with crab-boil spices last night) for lunch, now enjoying a bowl of cherries. Planning to walk on the beach when DH is done with whatever he's doing on the computer.

Summertime, and the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high (OK, more likely corn or sweet grass nowadays!)

...that I saw a dog chasing a cat, and they were both walking.

...that Betty Ford said "The hell with it, drinks are on the house."

circuit city was selling a/c's at pretty good prices, free shipping. I ordered one last week...10kbtu 9.8eer GE window unit for $169 plus taxes, delivered, after an instant savings and 10% off through fatwallet.com. I think they're still in stock.

Not too bad. They had some portables too.

Sears claims they have some for 'buy online, deliver to the store free', but my experience with them on that stuff, especially on hot items, is pretty poor. They say its there, you go get it, they look for it for half an hour, then say they dont have it.

...the birds have to use potholders to get worms out of the ground

...the trees are whistling for the dogs

...that CFB is deflating his kayak just for the breeze.

(One hour to go until retirement).

"Hey baby, wanna 'deflate my kayak'?"

Speaking of which, the wifes taking the month of august off. I oughta be able to get in some serious kayaking!

...that Cut-throat is posting risque subject lines about his wife just so she'll give him a cold stare.

London is forecast for 36C and a humidex of 45C tomorrow.

No, it's not a dry heat! :D

...that I had to chug down two pots of steaming coffee to cool off.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Speaking of which, the wifes taking the month of august off.  I oughta be able to get in some serious kayaking!
This board has too many "kayak" double-entendres and jokes about canoes/Canadian beer for us to decrypt your post.  If your spouse isn't going to be working for a month then how many passengers does your, er, "kayak" hold?

Nah, just kidding.  As a veteran parent, I know that parents of toddlers don't just have sex on their minds.  You're far more excited about having her provide free childcare so that you can paddle around solo...

Its funny...the only reason I know its hot out is because everyones been complaining about it...I can't say I notice any difference between this and any other year...and I don't even have air conditioning ( I own 3 but they are all packed away in the cellar and have been for years)...

I guess the heat just doesn't bother me much.

...i discovered today in the garden a baby raccoon lounging in the bird bath. too hot. too cute.

...that my air conditioner had posted a "help wanted" sign.

Not to gloat but the Bay Area is back to normal - 72F at 7pm with a gentle breeze coming in through the open sliding glass door to the back yard.

MB

mb said:
Not to gloat but the Bay Area is back to normal - 72F at 7pm with a gentle breeze coming in through the open sliding glass door to the back yard.

MB

I'm 15 minutes south of San Francisco and I'm basking in the fog (61 degrees) by the ocean 8) <sigh>

Nords said:
This board has too many "kayak" double-entendres and jokes about canoes/Canadian beer for us to decrypt your post. If your spouse isn't going to be working for a month then how many passengers does your, er, "kayak" hold?
JUST ONE!

Nah, just kidding. As a veteran parent, I know that parents of toddlers don't just have sex on their minds.
What is this 'sex' that you speak of?

You're far more excited about having her provide free childcare so that you can paddle around solo...

DING DING DING!

OldMcDonald said:
Its funny...the only reason I know its hot out is because everyones been complaining about it...I can't say I notice any difference between this and any other year...and I don't even have air conditioning ( I own 3 but they are all packed away in the cellar and have been for years)...

I guess the heat just doesn't bother me much.
I had to do some errands around NYC on my bike. Rode only about 35 miles. When I got home about 4:30PM. I checked weather.com and it recorded 100 degrees and 46 % humidity. I was very surprised cause it felt more like only 85 - 90. Riding in the thick of traffic with hot cars and buses will add another 5 to 10 degrees to my personal discomfort. Don't get me wrong I prefer 75 over 100 anytime but I can tolerate higher and lower temps on my bike.

I think I might be ready for Tucson.

vagabond said:
I think I might be ready for Tucson.

When I lived in Tucson, I'd jog well in to the 90s, 100 being my absolute limit. I carried a camelback belt hydration system and downed 20 oz before, 45 oz during a typical 3-4 mile job. I'd wait til the sun was almost down, or almost up.

The safety side is not trivial. People really do die out there by pushing it. The best thing I found was a pulse meter. No matter how slow I had to go -- even walking if necessary rather than jogging -- I never let it stay above my target range of about 80-85% predicted max. Since heat exhaution will speed your pulse considerably, this was a nice double-check.

The outdoor pool water here in N. Virginia was over 90 degrees this morning so I swam my laps in the indoor pool which was only 82 degrees. I will do my 3 mile walk very early tomorrow morning as the heat index is predicted to reach 110+.

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom