Kitchen tools and gadgets

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I’m looking for recommendations for a good nutmeg grater. Preferably one that won’t also grate the skin off my fingers when I get down to the last 1/4 or so of the nutmeg seed.

I don't know if it'll work, but we sometimes grate things with an electric coffee grinder. It can get things down to a powder almost.

I also use a microplane but I toss the final nub before I plane my fingertips.

I also use a microplane but I toss the final nub before I plane my fingertips.

Same here. I also have an old Braun coffee grinder I don't use for coffee (upgraded to a burr grinder). Use the old one for recipes that call for things like "finely chopped crystallized ginger." It's that time of year!

Quite happy with a 60 minute manual kitchen timer I got recently.

Same here. I also have an old Braun coffee grinder I don't use for coffee (upgraded to a burr grinder). Use the old one for recipes that call for things like "finely chopped crystallized ginger." It's that time of year!

It may not. But, I did give this thread a name that could be used for all kitchen gadgets and tools. So, let the discussion continue on and on and on and on......

So on to burr grinders for coffee beans...

I'm becoming less trusting of the Amazon reviews, and I've gone into analysis paralysis on a burr grinder in the past. Seems that the reviews for any burr grinder below a few hundred bucks or so boil down to them nit really being any better than the the blade type 'shredders'.

I find it hard to accept that a little machine to grind a home-use quantity of coffee beans fairly consistently should require more than a hundred $ price tag. A small motor, some grinding faces - it's not high tech rocket science.

I'm half tempted to design one myself! Many home-beer-brewers make their own mills for grinding malts/grains, and you are dealing with tens of pounds at a time. A few ounces of coffee beans should be simple.

-ERD50

So on to burr grinders for coffee beans...

I'm becoming less trusting of the Amazon reviews, and I've gone into analysis paralysis on a burr grinder in the past. Seems that the reviews for any burr grinder below a few hundred bucks or so boil down to them nit really being any better than the the blade type 'shredders'.

FWIW, I bought a highly rated grinder about 7 years ago for $99. Yes, expensive. But, it is the single best device I have bought for improving the quality of the drip coffee I make. I would recommend a burr grinder ahead of a new coffee pot, fancy water filters, french presses, the Aeropress, etc, not matter how wonderful their reviews are.

FWIW, I bought a highly rated grinder about 7 years ago for $99. Yes, expensive. But, it is the single best device I have bought for improving the quality of the drip coffee I make. I would recommend a burr grinder ahead of a new coffee pot, fancy water filters, french presses, the Aeropress, etc, not matter how wonderful their reviews are.

Brand, model#?

-ERD50

IMG_6672.jpg

Good topic. One thing I bought when we were actively losing weight was a food scale. Today it's the most used appliance in the kitchen. Measuring cups are only used as a means to weigh the ingredients. The dough I make today is soooooo much better than ever before. We even weigh the dogs food.

I bought a cute new kitchen gadget; a mini waffle maker. I actually bought 3 and plan on giving one to my daughter and DIL. The special at HSN https://www.hsn.com/products/holste...83G5j5PxKBzRCxa_vL1cPv-n_2AIaj7BoCU4cQAvD_BwE

is a whopping $30 for 3 and each comes in a beautiful box that matches the color of the waffle maker. I really bought it because DH and I are on a ketogenic diet and "The Chaffle" is a very popular food item for those on keto. You Tube is filled with chaffle recipes. The brand sold by HSN is called Holstein, but Target sells them individually by DASH in a myriad of colors for $9.99 each. Great stocking stuffers.

Tried it today and loved it.

Last edited:
Good topic. One thing I bought when we were actively losing weight was a food scale. Today it's the most used appliance in the kitchen. Measuring cups are only used as a means to weigh the ingredients. The dough I make today is soooooo much better than ever before. We even weigh the dogs food.

A new food scale is something I’m actively looking for. My former one must have fallen off the truck during recent moves!

Any recommendations out there for scales? Features? Brands?

$8
We own a very similar one.
Metric/Imperial is important.

Thanks, that looks nice and compact. And a digital readout (my old one was analog). I’d like a larger capacity than my old one but still accurate. Also easy to clean.

I just recalled that a long-time local favorite for higher-end cooking supplies is going out of business this holiday season. That would be worth a trip to see what they have.

A new food scale is something I’m actively looking for. My former one must have fallen off the truck during recent moves!

Any recommendations out there for scales? Features? Brands?

I like a big flat surface, and of course a Tare button. I use and like this one: Ozeri zk13-8. The button batteries do require replacement several times a year. I get them cheap from Amazon.

Your Microplane can used for grating many different foods.
I use my blade grater (different brand but same idea) for garlic and root ginger. It's the most useful tool in my drawer.

Tip: freeze cubes of ginger and grate them while still frozen. That way when you grate it you get all of it, without having to discard fibrous bits that you might not want someone to have a mouthful of.

I have a hard time finding digital scalesthat operate to my satisfaction. Wine making uses metric measures for most recipes, but some scales read only even or odd numbers. Sometimes if I need, say, 4 grams, I have to measure backwards. Weigh out 16 grams, then take that container and measure out 12 grams, leaving 4 grams in 1st container. Three scales I have used start at zero, then blow by the single digits, and show a measurement of 10 grams. But maybe DW is buying cheapo scales for me, but her kitchen scales do the same thing.

The ozeri scale above is the one DW uses.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom