Ladder Injuries

I will use our 8 foot ladder indoors to replace the ceiling air filters. Nothing outside.

Getting on the roof bothers me more than getting on a ladder. Although this house has a very shallow slope so I feel OK climbing up to winterize the 2 evap coolers. The problem is the ladders are getting heavier than they used to be. :angel:

I splurged for leaf guard gutters a few years ago, after falling off the roof into a bush. Balance isn’t what it used to be. Dr told to stay off ladders.

I need to find a painter to stain my soffit and fascia.

This could be me, except, I hit the brick porch and broke my elbow. The only thing that saved my head was the cross piece of the A of the step ladder, I happened to fall so I hit that metal strap square on and bent it a bunch.

Even with just the elbow, I had to have surgery, it took two months just to be able to touch my head again and three more before I could drive. Plus months of painful physical therapy and I never really got full range of motion back. Gutter guards or hiring the work out would have saved a lot of pain, time and money (we have gutter guards now!)

Years ago, a friend fell doing the same thing, hit his head and nearly died and was out of work for 6 months, so I knew better.

We all age and get less coordinated. Just concentrating hard won't fix the problem. I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum could afford to hire the work done by professionals and not risk their health. My wife quite rightly says the only tool I am allowed to use now is the credit card.

Get some plastic pipes that fit your leaf blower for those gutters. Don't glue them together. Works for me on our 1 story house. I only go up the ladder to see if I got it all blown out.

When I worked at an equipment rental yard during the college years, the most hazardous rental was the combination of a ladder and chainsaw. It was not uncommon for the wife to make the return a few hours late along with the accident story.
From my POV, if the ladder is in a stable position I don’t mind the exposure.
Once a year at this long time rental, I go about 12’ up an extension ladder to trim back the wisteria. After cutting a hole through the barren branches, I get my upper body above structure for support and trim away. Not too scary, but a fall would be serious.

Being north of 70 now I don't do ladders anymore either, except for a two-step ladder for light bulbs.

+1

Me either. In fact, in this house every room has a ceiling fan with a light kit. Since the ceilings are barely 8' high, and since I am pretty tall, I can reach the bulbs with my heels solidly planted on the floor even without using my two-step step stool.

I have had some very bad falls, so I do everything I can to keep from falling. Doesn't always work but the fewer falls the better.

We have a very polite Santa Fe style house down south. Have a very good 12' fiberglass extension ladder that gets just above the parapet wall of the garage at full extension. Flat sloping roof. We were having a new roof installed two weeks ago, so was up and down to show the flag with the roofing crew and get the kind of work I wanted. Last time I came off the main roof I stepped down onto the garage parapet and then woke up to a roofer asking me how I was. Seems like I got lucky and conked out as I stepped onto the parapet and collapsed the right way - onto the garage roof. After sitting for a bit I told the roofer he looked soft, so if he went down the ladder first I'd see if I couldn't land on him. Good guy, all in fun. sort of. I'd still like to see the finished product, but not enough yet to even sneak up there if the gal's not around. 75 this year. risk/benefit.

I splurged for leaf guard gutters a few years ago, after falling off the roof into a bush. Balance isn’t what it used to be. Dr told to stay off ladders.

I need to find a painter to stain my soffit and fascia.

Years ago, my soffit and fascia needed to be painted, so I got quotes and they were pretty expensive.
My neighbor was having his covered with aluminum so he wouldn't ever have to paint it. Turns out the cost to cover them (and cut open for ventilation the plywood first) was the same as painting.

I'd check to see what covering with Aluminum would cost. Never paint again !!

I have seen many injuries from ladders, and more than a few fatalities. Of course, as we age, bones get weaker, skin gets thinner, and just ground level falls can cause a serious injury. Be safe Y'all.

I had a ladder collapse right from under me - it was at least a 7 footer. I was scrapping and painting a skylight in a room with high ceilings, so was really reaching overhead and was standing just above the safety line. I wasn't so much worried about falling off the ladder as I had plenty to hold onto to. What I didn't factor in was the whole thing crumpling under me like an accordion, and a BAM! down I went. Elbow hit the wood floor so hard, I punched a hole in the floor. Fortunately, it was a 100 year old soft pine floor - anything harder and I would have shattered elbow and hip. I was stupid and lucky - knowing those two words rarely appear in the same sentence, I have since, greatly respected ladders and heights, leaving such matters to professionals.

If not obvious, should have noted the aforementioned ladder was of the aluminum variety.

When I worked at an equipment rental yard during the college years, the most hazardous rental was the combination of a ladder and chainsaw...

Seems like this would be obvious, but I've heard similar stories.

I definitely think a lot of it since a dear father figure lost his life last year from his fall. I focus way more on stability as I get on the roof a few times each year. I also think of him and his family every time.

I'm a youngster, only 67 but I still use the ladders when needed. I clean the siding on northwest side of the house in spring using a brush and pressure washer, I clean gutters and paint eaves. I'm careful but use ladders as needed. Like any tool you need to respect it and observe precautions.

Being north of 70 now I don't do ladders anymore either, except for a two-step ladder for light bulbs.

A tip a firefighter gave me is to keep your belt, all of it, between the rails. That has kept me from any ladder accidents so far.

For our “two step” ladder for indoor use, we have one like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ANGELES...ith-Wide-Anti-Slip-Pedal-10TJ8KY7DK/327133968

When you’re on the second step, you still have a lot of ladder above that to hold onto. I never go on the third (top) step.

Outside I have a four foot four step ladder for doing my Christmas lights. Again, I don’t go past the second step so that there’s plenty of ladder left to hold on to. Like this one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-...apacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-NXT1A04/202059651

The common theme is that I don’t go to high on a ladder an make sure the ladder is oversized for what I’m doing.

those large steps are great for foot fatigue. If I can get it done with our similar ladder it is the ticket.

Years ago, I thought I'd show DW what cleaning the gutters was like. Dont do this anymore.

Last edited:
I have 5 ladders ranging from 2' step ladder to a 28' extension ladder. I use the 5' and 8' ladder the most but honestly I'm getting to the point I don't like to use any of them. I haven't had the 28' extension ladder out in over a year so it's may have seen it's last days for me.

Ladders can be dangerous. When I was working on the tower of our house build I kept thinking, what if I fall and hit that ladder down there?

Attachments

• ladder1.jpg
    ladder1.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 29
I had a step-ladder tip sideways on me this past summer. I did fall, but I am 42 and I can't recall the injury at this point. But I remember when it happened it was a thought of "man did I get lucky, that probably could have been worse".

When I worked at an equipment rental yard during the college years, the most hazardous rental was the combination of a ladder and chainsaw. It was not uncommon for the wife to make the return a few hours late along with the accident story.

Thanks...
I've always thought it was awkward to use a chainsaw while up on a ladder, especially as mine was 18"
So I had a personal rule to just use a hand saw or bow saw.

He only fell four feet but landed directly on his right side.

I only fell 4 feet when I broke my hip. It was onto cement but the point is it doesn't take as much as most people think. If you are going to go up a ladder at least have someone else hold it. If you have the funds this is a good way to spend it. Have someone else do the dangerous work. Make sure they are insured.

Years ago, I thought I'd show DW what cleaning the gutters was like. Dont do this anymore.

I used to have an earlier model collapsible (ha!) ladder like this one when I was more involved with the rentals. Was great, because it hid right behind the drivers seat, so I could use it or not as the mood suited me. Twice it collapsed several steps worth as I was part way up. Thrifty, but that ladder went to the scrap man after playing with it awhile.

I used to have an earlier model collapsible (ha!) ladder like this one when I was more involved with the rentals. Was great, because it hid right behind the drivers seat, so I could use it or not as the mood suited me. Twice it collapsed several steps worth as I was part way up. Thrifty, but that ladder went to the scrap man after playing with it awhile.

I have one of those because I was impressed to see the home inspector use one the last time we moved. I've actually used it a lot, and no problems. But you definitely have to make sure that each rung clicks firmly in place before climbing it.

Back
Top Bottom