Life just before FIRE

jcretire77 - I had to laugh, as I just changed my password for the last time as well. I figured out that they allowed repetition after 3 new ones, so I cycled through from 1 to 4. Only 20 work days for me (after today), and most of the nightmares have passed for me.
I did not see your name in the Class of 2016 thread - feel free to add it and grin a bit!!
Class of 2016 - Page 25 - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

I have 5 months (100 working days as of today, but who's counting:confused: ;-)) left and the shortimer's disease is getting really bad. My end date is 12/31 but it's a Sat and I am going to manage my vacation time so my last day at work can be 12/22, right before the Christmas break. To further complicate that 'engagement' thing, my whole business in Megacorp (about 10% of the site/campus) is being assimilated into a west coast operation. So lots other people are having trouble focusing too... but not as fortunate as me to be able to walk from it retired. Key people have left resources are stretched and the "transition" work to the other site/teams is going VERY slow.. but even with that, it is not terrible. I work with some really great people. The funny thing is the subconscious "filter" that my brain now has that kicks in when ever people in meetings talk about work/tasks/deliverables in "FY2017" and beyond. "Umm, yeah, ok. Good luck with that...."

Not only am I leaving on Sept 1st, but I share an office with an employee whose last day is in November. Between the two of us there are a lot of smiles and 'really don't care anymore' comments. I think that I have five 3-day work weeks left. Thought today about not having to do performance reviews that are coming up!!!

OP's feelings are pretty normal. The balance between withdrawing, but not withdrawing so much that one fails to meet obligations or becomes bored to death. The awkwardness of declining when the boss offers a "very visible" assignment. Avoiding getting sucked into hot issues. Falling behind on learning, because you know you won't use what you learn. Caring enough, but not caring too much. Looking forward to upcoming layoffs ("pick me! pick me!") when others are dreading them.

My advice is to meet the obligations of your day-to-day work, and to fill the rest of the time, be proactive and come up with something that interests you, rather than getting sucked into things you want to avoid. In my case, it was creating a portal for all the information my colleagues needed, and pointing them there whenever a question arose. Made the workplace more efficient while I was still there, and everything I knew was readily available after I left.

I remember I felt angry often before I put in my notice. I knew I was able to FIRE but I was mad at myself for not doing it. After telling my boss I was leaving, it was so different at work for me. I wasn't afraid of saying what I really thought. That part was great. I knew in August that I could FIRE. It was the end of October that I gave notice and 11-17-15 when I left. I don't think that I would be able to last as long as you.

Back
Top Bottom