Look at me! I'm a size 2!

Martha said:
My nomination for the worst commercials ever: those for NutriSytem. One woman says: "Look at me I'm a size 2, hahaha." Another woman refers to her "smoking hot body." A man says his wife doesn't find him "as digusting anymore.: :confused:
These days, it seems like a size 2 is nothing to brag about, that you ain't nothing 'til you're a size 0, a size nothing. How crazy is that? Maybe it'll get even crazier and we'll have negative sizes, -1, -2...

When we first came over from the islands, a girlfriend and I had to learn that "You've gained weight!" was not a compliment to women here.

Maybe my translation isn't exact but back home, it was a common greeting to girlfriends you hadn't seen in a while, implying that they look good and look prosperous, not undernourished but looking like they had plenty to eat, are happier and not so problematic. Maybe now, even there, it's not a compliment anymore.

I admire full-bodied women who are confident and comfortable with their bodies, but images of them are hard to come by in our culture here. I once watched a local production of a musical in which one woman played a dominatrix and had to wear a two piece outfit (bikini top and shorts) and it was great to see someone on stage who was not model-thin but real like us and still confident and attractive.

Cultures change and what's ideal for body types change, too. The paintings of some of the old western masters depicted roundish women and they were beautiful.

I do like the more muscular, buff women bodies but not too muscular--maybe a little definition. As long as we don't get into too much fat that threatens our health, we should be OK.

However it is very hard to feel OK with our bodies when we are bombarded with lots of ads to be thin like we don't get enough to eat when we have so much cheap, fattening, good-tasting food around!

I had a girlfriend once who was a size zero. Most fun I've ever had in a womens clothing store was having her take something to the changing room, have it be too big and see the look on the sales womens faces when she stuck her head over the swinging door to the changing room and said "this is too big! do you have it in a size zero?".

If looks could kill...

Although I prefer women with a little meat on them. Who the heck wants to gnaw on a bone?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I had a girlfriend once who was a size zero. Most fun I've ever had in a womens clothing store was having her take something to the changing room, have it be too big and see the look on the sales womens faces when she stuck her head over the swinging door to the changing room and said "this is too big! do you have it in a size zero?".

If looks could kill...

Although I prefer women with a little meat on them. Who the heck wants to gnaw on a bone?

Well, ... fortunately there are some who do. :)

Ha

Those are right up there with the ED & Feminine Hygene ads. It is now an embarassment to watch tv with the family and I have never been considered prudish. The ad agencies need to clean it up and get real.

Martha said:
A man says his wife doesn't find him "as digusting anymore.: :confused:

Wtf?
Yeah - that one gets me every time! Gosh, I guess she STILL finds him disgusting LOL!

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
Yeah - that one gets me every time! Gosh, I guess she STILL finds him disgusting LOL!

Audrey

I saw this commercial last night. Those guys are all ex-pro athletes. That guy is Jon Kruk, pro baseball player who made a name for being off the wall "disgusting" joker.

I think the add is relying on men recognizing him.

What I wonder is how these women get to be a size two when it says they weigh 138 lbs.:confused:That's more like a size 12 .

audreyh1 said:
Oh - OK thanks for enlightening me! Over my head.

Audrey

Actually, I think your reaction proves the ad missed it's intended mark. It may mean something for the guy crowd, but if the gals reaction is similar to yours, they missed pretty badly (IMHO).

Moemg said:
What I wonder is how these women get to be a size two when it says they weigh 138 lbs.:confused:That's more like a size 12 .

No, it's more about body composition than numbers on the scale. I'm 5' 6" and weigh more than 138 at ~21% body fat. I wear a size 6 pants/skirt. There are ladies who weigh less than I do and wear a size 12/14. I happen to have a good deal of muscle on my body (muscle is much more compact than fat) so the numbers on the scale are higher but I wear what would be considered an average pant size.

I find the ads annoying, but as some one who is less than 5 feet tall and wears this offensive size, let's just say I wouldn't look good if I needed anything larger. ;)

I know I won't get any sympathy but it is NOT a fun size - difficult to find and generally only available in more costly stores, so I cross my fingers and hope the 1 pair of blue pants with the right kind of waist band are still there when it is time to go on sale.

Now, I won't even start on my shoe size - which is even more difficult to find.

Martha said:
My nomination for the worst commercials ever: those for NutriSytem. One woman says: "Look at me I'm a size 2, hahaha." Wtf?

End rant.

Yeah, Martha. I agree. For some reason, that commercial really grates on me. Especially when she says " . . .and I can have chocolate every daaay." It's not so much what she says, but how she says it. The enthusiasm in her voice just seems so excessive and unnatural.

WTF:confused:!! :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

What about the one with the beard dye....

The two announcers are doing play by play... the old guy with grey beard goes up to young miss hottie... 'REJECTED'....

Now dyes his beard.... back to miss hottie, she grabs him and pulls him in... "HOMERUN"... hmmm, if that is not the most blantant sexual comment, I am missing the other ones...

Texas Proud said:

The two announcers are doing play by play... the old guy with grey beard goes up to young miss hottie... 'REJECTED'....

Now dyes his beard.... back to miss hottie, she grabs him and pulls him in... "HOMERUN"... hmmm, if that is not the most blantant sexual comment, I am missing the other ones...

Texas, my dh and I mimic right along with that commercial and my husband will say "REJECTED" when he does something dumb.

newguy888 said:
size 2 = no boobs.

might break something there.

Hey, I will jump in for the thin women here. My wife is a size 2 and had fairly large boobs. (Not like CFB's former avatar) but close.

Texas Proud said:

What about the attractive, desirable women/hotties who think men with grey hair, or who are balding, are especially attractive? That's what I hate about this commercial. It implies that all women have the same tastes.

Want2retire said:
What about the attractive, desirable women/hotties who think men with grey hair, or who are balding, are especially attractive?

That must be my secret. I'm a two-fer. :)

Ha

CFB, I logged into AOL and this popped up on my news watch.

Comedian Jeni Dies In Apparent Suicide

Outtahere said:
CFB, I logged into AOL and this popped up on my news watch.

Comedian Jeni Dies In Apparent Suicide

Crap.

He was one of my favorites.

"The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted
sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in
'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer
will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"
** Rich Jeni

Back
Top Bottom