Max Gross Weight Take Off

I guess the pilot wanted to experience all 3 in the day time.....

Wahoo
Remember the three most worthless things to a pilot:

1: The runway behind him
2: The airspace above him
3: A field grade navigator!

You gota say ... The vodka burner's captain must have had immeasurable confidence in his machine! Hope he cleared those mountains.

I have used all the runway more than once, but we had flying speed, we forced it on the ground so we would have better single engine control speed when we pulled it off. However on a small island in the pacific there was 5,000 ft of runway, no over-run, and the takeoff dist was 5,000 feet. We had 5 birds to get into the air. We all made it, but I was glad there was a cliff fall off at the end. Kind of like falling off the end of a carrier!

Well when you got four, an engine or two may not make much difference, but when you only have two, it could be a real OH Sh&T! Had a guy feather both props on takeoff! Lucky we were high enough for a quick air start!

I actually flew in one of those IL-76, in 1994 in what was then Zaire (now called the Democratic Republic of Congo). That aircraft is cavernous, and the one I was in was even equipped with a crane, inside the plane. There were 2 rows of jump seats, against each side of the fuselage. Each seat had a red star painted on the back rest, so the plane must have been in use with the Soviet army of air force at one time.
I felt funny sitting in those seats, esp. since I am a refugee from Communism (I fled South Vietnam in 1980).

That's one honkin' big plane.

C'mon Rustic. If you weren't supposed to use it, why did they pave it? ;)
Does that philosophy also apply to mowing the grass beyond the pavement?

I dunno about you white-scarf guys, but in the submarine force (after the uniform change was completed [there's a reason they call 'em "poopie suits"]) there would've been one of those meetings led by the boss that started with the question "OK, guys, tell me again why it was necessary to do this?"*

*Also phrased as "OK, OOD, we'll put that reason in the mission report as long as there's no diplomatic protests-- but those periscope photos you claim you took better be in perfect $%^&in' focus!"

Wow! He used every foot of that runway. I remember my student pilot days in the 1980s. Cessna 150, full fuel, myself + instructor. Maxed out on a hot summer day. I didn't think that little plane was ever going to get airborne. Once airborne, we had to circle to get enough altitude to clear the nearby hills. Rate of climb, 200 fpm. That poor little 100 hp Continental engine was really up against it.

Wow! He used every foot of that runway. I remember my student pilot days in the 1980s. Cessna 150, full fuel, myself + instructor. Maxed out on a hot summer day. I didn't think that little plane was ever going to get airborne. Once airborne, we had to circle to get enough altitude to clear the nearby hills. Rate of climb, 200 fpm. That poor little 100 hp Continental engine was really up against it.

Even with a Cessna 150, in similar I never got close to using all the runway, although the 200 FPM, I definitely remember.

I guess the Russians don't have a JATO tubes like the Air Force use to use with C130 and such.

Back
Top Bottom