missing mail from the state

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have Informed Delivery set up.
It showed that I was suppose to receive today a notice from the state's taxation department. It is one of those things where you tear off the 3 sides.
It was not in the mailbox.
Monday is a postal holiday.

Has this every happened to anyone else?

How do you go back to the state and say "hey, I did not get your notice".
:(

That happens all the time. It will almost certainly show up next Tuesday, if not then in the next couple of days.

+1 on Braumeister's post. About once a week we have this happen. It is usually delivered the next day, but sometime a couple days later.

The value of Informed Delivery is that it shows you how sloppy the Post Office really is.

One time while away, and mail was supposed to be re-directed, Informed Delivery showed me a piece of mail from another gov't in another country, and I NEVER got that mail.
I went to the Post Office, they said they had no idea as mail is not tracked.

I had to phone the other Country and tell them to mail it again :eek:

+1 on Braumeister's post. About once a week we have this happen. It is usually delivered the next day, but sometime a couple days later.

Yep, par for the course.... :(

I’ve had a few items that don’t show up on the same day as Informed Delivery indicates. Has always showed up. I think the longest delay was about 1 week. Usually it’s one day. 99.9% of the time it’s there when it says it will be.

It definitely got worse in the last 6-9 months.

As I understand it, the scanned image of the mail takes place at a sorting center, not likely to be your local PO. If things are backing up, your mail likely gets to your local PO by early morning, in time for your carrier to get it to you. Lately, things have backed up and it's often not making it to your local PO until a day or two (or more) later.

The important thing to know is that Informed Delivery is not a scan of what your carrier or local PO has to get to you that day. If they don't get it, they can't deliver it.

When I asked my postal person about the informed delivery picture and not getting the mail item, she said "you can't believe those pictures".......I kid you not!:facepalm:

If you go into your dashboard, as opposed to just the email, you can choose an option for "I did not receive this item". Then nothing will happen.

I'm a snow bird, and I use MisInformed Delivery to track how long it takes them to forward my mail. It can take as much as 2 weeks, and I seem to get a whole week's worth on one day. I seldom get mail that I need, but it's nice to know to expect it. Mostly I get reports of "An Item We Don't Have an Image For".

When I asked my postal person about the informed delivery picture and not getting the mail item, she said "you can't believe those pictures".......I kid you not!:facepalm:

I was told the same thing last summer by my carrier. The same one who would change the status of an expected package (more than once, actually) to "held at customer's request" as he drives away because it's after 5:00.

I was told the same thing last summer by my carrier. The same one who would change the status of an expected package (more than once, actually) to "held at customer's request" as he drives away because it's after 5:00.

Welcome to the new world of work ethic.

It showed that I was suppose to receive today a notice from the state's taxation department. It is one of those things where you tear off the 3 sides.

yup, not often but every once in a while. and the 'missing' mail shows up the next delivery day. but if you scroll down om your Informed Delivery email you'll see a way to report missing mail.

I pretty much never get the mail piece on the day it shows up on informed delivery. The actual day I receive the mail is usually 2-3 days later. The Post Office is awful where I live.

You don't go back to the state You go back to the Post Office, the state has done their job :).

I would check the box and wait to see what shows up Tuesday, or even Wednesday. This has happened to me so often the local post office knows me too well. I have also opened up missing mail reports and called the local post office. I have posted how a dozen pieces of our mail (including a rebate check and papers related to our mortgage payoff) never showed up over several days, and the root cause was the carrier started delivering our mail to a different address in our zip code.

The mail still is slow. My W-2 from my census work, which was mailed out (by a census office that less than a hour from me) the first week of February, has yet to show up even on Informed Delivery. These are the times we live in...

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-ne...delivered-at-raleigh-post-office-audit-finds/

Mail marked as delivered sitting in the office in Raleigh. Nice.

Sadly, that’s my post office.... :(:(:( We have indeed experienced some of the delays mentioned (although we have also received many pieces of mail on time, to be fair). Service overall has gone to heck in the last 12 months though. It is not unusual for Saturday delivery to be skipped altogether, for example.
One thing that has actually improved during COVID is the previous habit of SOME mail carriers not to deliver any packages that won’t fit in the mailbox (we have a 150 ft driveway and they apparently are scared to back up that far when there is not turnaround- wouldn’t want to actually WALK that far...). Instead, they would just drop a “failed delivery” note in the mailbox and we ended up having to go to the post office to fetch the package ourselves. The post office itself is brand new but extremely poorly designed and tiny, so there are always huge crowds waiting in line. A fantastic breeding ground for Covid, no doubt, so someone must have pointed out the connection because the “failed delivery” slips have decreased drastically. Of course, evidently, it could be that they just tossed all large packages on the shelves and ignored them - problem solved :facepalm:

Last edited:
I forgot about this thread I started.

We received it the following delivery day which is the day after the President's Day holiday.
The mail from the state was a statement for underpaid taxes so it is a good thing it was not lost.

I can't believe all the PO hate on this thread. At the risk of jinxing myself. In the 5 plus years we've had ID, we have never had a piece go missing or show up more then a day late. Is it a region thing?

I'm Raleigh, but with a different PO than the referenced article I posted. We've had very few problems and have a very loyal, good, letter carrier for the past 20 years. I even got a package 1 day ahead of estimate this week.

As for the tracking data: I'm used to the weirdness. There is a "super regional" center listed "Raleigh" where packages land from far away. Many times, they are moved to the "regional" center near Greensboro. Then they come back to my PO in Raleigh. The tracking looks ridiculous, but it is consistent. So, I just calm down when I see it made it to Raleigh knowing it is really probably two days from delivery.

I can't believe all the PO hate on this thread. At the risk of jinxing myself. In the 5 plus years we've had ID, we have never had a piece go missing or show up more then a day late. Is it a region thing?

Definitely. . The post offices we deal with in MD & VA are competent, professional, and friendly. The post office at our primary residence in FL is across the boards rude and highly incompetent. The delivery driver drives across flower beds well off the road just so she doesn't have to swerve back into the road before going to the next mailbox. We just received a piece of forwarded mail last week that my informed delivery email showed as being ready for delivery on Jan. 21. And twice I've read articles about drivers from that town getting busted for dumping bulk (junk) mail into dumpsters. I don't personally mind that so much, but it is against the law and just shows the attitude they have down there.

I'm one of the [-]lucky[/-] unfortunate ones who every year gets an IRS PIN by snail mail that's required for me to file my taxes.

Last year, the UPS Informed Mail showed the scanned letter but I never did receive the letter. Unless somehow I inadvertently tossed out (which I don't believe) or that it got placed in a neighbor's mail.

Seems like the IRS PIN letter routinely shows up faster on the scan before actually arriving. This year the scan showed up a few days before and I did get the letter.

I'm Raleigh, but with a different PO than the referenced article I posted. We've had very few problems and have a very loyal, good, letter carrier for the past 20 years. I even got a package 1 day ahead of estimate this week.

As for the tracking data: I'm used to the weirdness. There is a "super regional" center listed "Raleigh" where packages land from far away. Many times, they are moved to the "regional" center near Greensboro. Then they come back to my PO in Raleigh. The tracking looks ridiculous, but it is consistent. So, I just calm down when I see it made it to Raleigh knowing it is really probably two days from delivery.

The regional USPS distribution center at Baltimore has been a total disaster for months. First class mail has been taking 5 and 6 weeks to deliver.

It's not about work ethic. Overtime rules were changed in 2020. By those in charge. He's required to do quit at 5PM by USPS overtime rules. Don't blame the carrier.

FWIW, we have zero--less than zero--trust in the USPS; been awful for over 20 years now! We're at the point of sending anything important via UPS rather than the post office. Just today, I'm hand-delivering documents to my accountant 50 miles away (ok, also gives DW and me a chance to have a nice lunch out too)

We don't live in the boonies either... metro area north of Boston but the delivery is always sketchy. Stuff arrives addressed to people who live on the other side of town, stuff we've sent that never arrives; friends send us letters that arrive 2-3 weeks after mailing if at all. We certainly wouldn't vote by mail.

We got a letter from our insurance company saying (paraphrasing) "because the mail is so unreliable, you might set up epay instead".

OTOH, it gives a nice excuse for forgetting someone's birthday! "Gee, I sent you a card two weeks ago...."

Sorry; venting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom