Motorhome 2020

UtahSkier

Recycles dryer sheets
"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead"!

My 2020 RV trip was planned long before this COVID-19 stuff. We start our trip in a few weeks, leaving SLC for New Orleans. We will linger along the Florida Gulf coast for nearly a month as we head to Fort Meyers. We will then spend a week at Disney World (Fort Wilderness) and then head to Asheville.

From there, we will head to West Virginia for some hiking and white water rafting. Then it is up to Boston and then to Bar Harbor, Maine.

We will then visit some spots in New Hampshire with the intent to hike several of the ski resorts. Then we will head over to update New York and visit several towns around the Finger Lakes. After a few days at Niagara Falls, we then head straight back to SLC.

This trip should take nearly 3 months and the motorhome will travel a bit more than 8000 miles.

Other than Disney World, we are not expecting any significant issues with the whole virus pandemic thing.

PS. The Motorhome 2019 never happened as I injured my arm just before the trip and needed surgery and several months of recovery. We only did a 5 week trip along the Oregon coast in the fall.

Attachments

• IMG_2169 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2169 - Copy.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 190
We are holding off on planning any RV trips until we see how Covid-19 progresses. If it gets bad I want to be at/near home, not on the road.

Last edited:
It looks like you are hitting all of the haunts that I have seen over my entire life. Fort Wilderness is a really great campground, that has every ammenity under the sun, and the added advantage of walking to a shuttle bus that will take you to the high speed park tram into Disney.

West Virginia's New River is a really good trip (done it 3 times), but the roads around it are tight, and steep for a big rig.

On the Gulf coast of Florida, check out some of the beaches on Sanibel Island for good shell collecting, and unspoiled beauty.

In N.H. check out the trail going up Mt Jefferson (next to Mt Washington). It is much less traveled, but still breathtaking, and somewhat challenging (beyond the treeline).

In N.Y. at the falls, check out the American side for more trails, parks, and less commercialization...good curry Indian food also.

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead"!

My 2020 RV trip was planned long before this COVID-19 stuff. We start our trip in a few weeks, leaving SLC for New Orleans. We will linger along the Florida Gulf coast for nearly a month as we head to Fort Meyers. We will then spend a week at Disney World (Fort Wilderness) and then head to Asheville.

From there, we will head to West Virginia for some hiking and white water rafting. Then it is up to Boston and then to Bar Harbor, Maine.

We will then visit some spots in New Hampshire with the intent to hike several of the ski resorts. Then we will head over to update New York and visit several towns around the Finger Lakes. After a few days at Niagara Falls, we then head straight back to SLC.

This trip should take nearly 3 months and the motorhome will travel a bit more than 8000 miles.

Other than Disney World, we are not expecting any significant issues with the whole virus pandemic thing.

PS. The Motorhome 2019 never happened as I injured my arm just before the trip and needed surgery and several months of recovery. We only did a 5 week trip along the Oregon coast in the fall.

We will be in Bar Harbor area ourselves around memorial day in our small travel trailer. Enjoy. One of out favorite places to visit.
A lot simpler trip for us living in NH.

Sounds like a great time. Hoping to do similar stuff in a few years when kiddos are off to college / fly the nest.

Your motorhome is a great way to travel right now. Self isolation at its best.

Just got back home from being gone in motorhome for 2.5 months. Spent time along gulf coast: Destin, Panama City Beach, Alabama Dauphin Island, Louisiana cajun country, New Orleans, Pensacola Beach, middle Florida, Jacksonville, Savannah, Macon GA, and Nashville. About 4000 miles on MH, 2500 on towed car driving around. Took dogs and cats with us. Unfortunately had to put one dog down on trip, that sucked and still hurts some.
Now home and figuring out what trips for later this year.
OP have fun on your trip. We had a great time along the gulf coast and seeing a lot of the country we had not seen much before.

Well, that post didn't age well.

Too much uncertainty and what is certain is not good.

Dw canceled the trip today.

We will watch for opportunities to travel closer to home in May and June if possible.

DW and I have been wrestling with the idea of purchasing a motorhome for about 2 years now. We have been to shows, Hershey 2019 and Tampa 2020....we know what we like and even though we don't like to buy new with cars, we may buy new on a MH. It will be a jump in both feet situation since we have never owned one before. I am very comfortable fixing things (engineering background) at any level, electrical, plumbing, engine systems, etc. With a buy new situation I shouldn't have to do much of that but it helps.

Part of our plan will be to use the MH to winter in a warmer climate and take several week trips when we feel like it.

The recent turmoil has delayed my pursuit but still strongly considering moving forward when things settle down some.

....we know what we like and even though we don't like to buy new with cars, we may buy new on a MH. It will be a jump in both feet situation since we have never owned one before. I am very comfortable fixing things (engineering background) at any level, electrical, plumbing, engine systems, etc. With a buy new situation I shouldn't have to do much of that but it helps.

Just an advisory point: the quality of new RVs is pretty bad. Lots of warranty returns to the dealer for fixing is common. Sure you are not doing the work, but it is down time and hassle to take it in and get those repairs done. RVs also depreciate a lot in first few years. Not so much an issue if you keep it for a long time and use consistently. Nothing wrong with buying new if you can afford it and are aware of the quality issues. Check out the sister forum to this one www.irv2.com and look in the various sub forums and model specific forums to learn more about the mfrs and models you are interested in; especially as related to the warranty repair issues.

There is nothing real complicated on RVs if you have decent skills. Biggest problem is chasing wiring without a wiring diagram, can be tough when a lot of the wires are all the same colors. Poor connections/spllices cause a lot of the problems. I fix almost everything on my motorhome, having same engineer background and good mechanic skills. Saves a lot of money and down time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an advisory point: the quality of new RVs is pretty bad. Lots of warranty returns to the dealer for fixing is common. Sure you are not doing the work, but it is down time and hassle to take it in and get those repairs done. RVs also depreciate a lot in first few years. Not so much an issue if you keep it for a long time and use consistently. Nothing wrong with buying new if you can afford it and are aware of the quality issues. Check out the sister forum to this one www.irv2.com and look in the various sub forums and model specific forums to learn more about the mfrs and models you are interested in; especially as related to the warranty repair issues.

There is nothing real complicated on RVs if you have decent skills. Biggest problem is chasing wiring without a wiring diagram, can be tough when a lot of the wires are all the same colors. Poor connections/spllices cause a lot of the problems. I fix almost everything on my motorhome, having same engineer background and good mechanic skills. Saves a lot of money and down time.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been a member of IRV2 for a little while and do troll the sub forums of the manufacturers. Lots of good info over there.

I agree with 38Chevy, but there are a few brands that were very well built and have stood up to the wear and tear. I have a 1999 36' Foretravel that is in much better condition than many new motorhomes. I also lived full-time in a 1998 45' Newell with 2 slides. Both of these are much simpler electronically (read that as simpler to fix). Both brands are still being manufactured today so have excellent factory support.
My advice is to look at a 5-10 year old model of the new one you like and see how it has held up. Are the cabinets solid wood? My Foretravel is solid walnut and comparable to custom cabinets in a high end house. Newell uses cabinet grade plywood covered in top grade formica for a cleaner lighter look.
2 forums to research these are newellgurus.com and foreforums.com
Most people like to have 4 slides but look at it with the slides in and in travel mode. Is everything accessible? I've seen some where the bed, refrigerator, and bathroom were difficult if not impossible to get at. Our FT has NO slides by preference. Our Newell had 2 slides but the slides are much larger than most other brands and it was fully functional with the slides in. In fact we never opened the slides unless we were staying for more than a day or 2.
Don't know what your budget is but you can find either of these with slides under $200k.
And don't worry about RV resorts with the 10 year rule. I and many others have just sent a current picture and have always been allowed.
Have fun in your search.

We snuck out for a 2 week trip to Colorado with a week in Breckenridge. I finally hiked my first 14Ker... Quandary Peak.

Nice to get out of town and out of the house.

Attachments

• 20200620_175722.jpg
    20200620_175722.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200621_170917.jpg
    20200621_170917.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20200625_105625.jpg
    20200625_105625.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 72
Idaho!

Sun valley, McCall, some remote place, Couer D'Alene, Missoula, North fork, and Victor (Jackson hole). About 5 weeks.

Lots of hiking and mountain biking.

We found well cared for 2005 Phaeton in July. Been having a blast at Harvesthosts

Check out Harvesthosts.com if you like Wineries, Orchards, Breweries. Annual membership gives you free overnight parking usually with a fantastic view and few neighbors

Harvest Hosts is nice, we've been using them for a few years now.

Meant to add if buying diesel fuel look into the discount programs that harness the trucking fleets negotiated rates. I've received discounts of 50 to 60 cents at TA Travel Centers vs comparing to Gasbuddy.

Of course it is only a bargain if you don't use more fuel to get it vs sucking up the posted price at a local station.

Been using:
https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/

Caveats:
1) must use truck lanes with the larger nozzles & super fast pumps. I can pump 70 gallons diesel in half the time I fill my car

2) must sign up use the TSD debit card that charges your checking account in a couple days

We picked up a three year old Dynamax Isata 3 on a Mercedes chassis earlier this summer for safer trips back and forth from Florida. On a lark, we struck off to Yellowstone in June for a ten day trip, which was amazing and very safe from a covid management standpoint.

We stuffed the pantry, fridge and freezer so only had to brave a grocery store once on the trip. Was surprised to total up our fuel and campground expenses at just $1,200 for the 3,200 mile excursion. Most bang for the buck vacation we've ever had. Can't wait to head west again next year for a wedding in Wyoming.

Idaho!

Sun valley, McCall, some remote place, Couer D'Alene, Missoula, North fork, and Victor (Jackson hole). About 5 weeks.

Lots of hiking and mountain biking.

So, how did you like that 10% grade going up from Jackson?? (we've stayed at Victor before).

did you make it to Persephone Cafe in Jackson?
or to Palate just north of town?

Victor is our next stop. We are coming to Victor from the west. So, the motorhome does not have to make that drive. I have driven that grade in my jeep. And even rode a lot of it on my mountain bike. My app says 24 miles of riding and 4000 feet of climbing.

I don't remember those two places. I will check them out when I get there.

Back
Top Bottom