My heart's not in it

+1

Husband retired a year before I did. I wasn't even serious about retiring until he did and was enjoying his new life so much....coffee at a different place each morning is one example.

DH took over all the cleaning, laundry, cooking. Each evening I came home to dinner prepared and a clean house. He even packed my lunches and would bring me iced tea at work if I asked. Just guessing your wife might like that, too?

That made my last year much more bearable. It was a long year, but my responsibilities ended each day at 4PM. :)

I came out of retirement for summer school this year to tack on some more Roth money. One week to go...Big mistake! The damnedest thing is I did the same thing last year and swore I wouldn't do it again. It wont happen again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My empathy. I did a single OMY, had started a second. DW begged me to join her in retirement but I didn't think I was ready.

I still recall the details of the 2 game changers. The first I wrote off to "chicken little management practices". The second crossed a line that I refused to accept. I waited almost a month till DW's birthday, that was her birthday present from me, best present ever, for both of us!

I'm in a similar situation except DW needed to work 9 years more to get a pension, with paid health care. I retired as soon as I could and have enjoyed 8 years of doing whatever I want, including making her life easier while she worked. Next year she, too, will retire.

You might let your company know super early. It could change your job enough to make it bearable. I announced I was retiring 3 months before I did, since my firm's work is mostly quarterly in nature. I spent the last quarter saying goodbye to clients and transitioning my work. Some of my clients asked if I could be available for special projects, and now I work about 5 hours a week on things I really enjoy.

There won't be a second OMY for me. I was doing some financial calculations this weekend and decided that regardless of what my old company does, or this new one, I'm out next June after my 1-year vesting cliff, and moving back to Colorado.

I don't care if I have to buy a cheap mobile home in the middle of nowhere, be a hermit, and live off tins of cat food. I'm done being a cube rat and working IT jobs I hate.

DW is a teacher and has one year until pension eligible. I told her I would also work another year. Every day is torture; I have mentally checked out. It's gonna be a long year.

So change your mind. What's stopping you?

There won't be a second OMY for me. I was doing some financial calculations this weekend and decided that regardless of what my old company does, or this new one, I'm out next June after my 1-year vesting cliff, and moving back to Colorado.

I don't care if I have to buy a cheap mobile home in the middle of nowhere, be a hermit, and live off tins of cat food. I'm done being a cube rat and working IT jobs I hate.

So what's wrong with a cheap (free to me) motor home in the middle of nowhere in the Colorado mountains? ;) (BTW, I kind of like the Hermit lifestyle. Haven't tried any cat food, though. :LOL:)

I planned on doing one more year when DS announced he would take longer to graduate from college, but after a 3-week vacation to the Colorado mountains, the first day back was enough for me. I put in the paperwork that day and was done in a month. :)

Study hall and lunch were my favorite classes.

When I was in Jr College, our sociology teacher warned us against attending "Student Center-U" and majoring in "Drop-ology"...but I did get lots of fun dates there before xfr-ing to a majority male engineering U!

Back
Top Bottom