My Lawn Guy Just Finished

Looks nice and you’re lucky to have someone do it. Really/ do you need that much lawn? For what?

Glad to have a .2 acre postage stamp lot and the HOA mows it, fertilizes it and does weed and grub control. Also in the mulch bed and crushed stone.

Haven’t owned a lawn mower now in the three years since we moved.
Are you referring to me as the OP? If so, you missed the sarcasm. The lawn guy is me. I'm also the gardener and pool guy. And appliance repairman, carpenter, mechanic and whatever else needs work around the house. As for needing that much lawn, some people like me appreciate the space and distance from neighbors. Instead of right on top of them. It's also fenced so my dogs can run, and fenced because of the pool. I have 2.5 acres total. You don't have to like it, but I do, even if it keeps the lawn guy busy.

Are you referring to me as the OP? If so, you missed the sarcasm. The lawn guy is me. I'm also the gardener and pool guy. And appliance repairman, carpenter, mechanic and whatever else needs work around the house. As for needing that much lawn, some people like me appreciate the space and distance from neighbors. Instead of right on top of them. It's also fenced so my dogs can run, and fenced because of the pool. I have 2.5 acres total. You don't have to like it, but I do, even if it keeps the lawn guy busy.

Lol! My bad! I missed that! Lol!

Well with a pool and the dogs I can understand it then.

Mowing is a good way to get outdoors and some exercise. More if you have a push or self propelled mower vs a riding mower. With my 2.5 acres, the lawn guy has a 60 inch zero turn. Trimming and blowing require some work. It's good I don't have to pay the lawn guy, because it would be around $90 each time.

As a kid I used to mow neighbor's lawn, it was nice cash money. I don't mind mowing, it's good mindless effort and I like the appearance end result.

I'm having a hard time with this post, especially about the part where you don't pay him, and you yourself don't mind mowing. Not trying to judge because I know I have 'logs' in my own eye, but it sounds like you are totally taking advantage of the guy. Whatever, I hope you have it in your heart to 'pay it forward' to him somehow. I live in Texas and it's 106 today, and I've mowed my own yard for every house I've owned. Give back to God what is given to you. Peace.

Last edited:
I still say they should have hung that jerk that invented lawns.

I'm having a hard time with this post, especially about the part where you don't pay him, and you yourself don't mind mowing. Not trying to judge because I know I have 'logs' in my own eye, but it sounds like you are totally taking advantage of the guy. Whatever, I hope you have it in your heart to 'pay it forward' to him somehow. I live in Texas and it's 106 today, and I've mowed my own yard for every house I've owned. Give back to God what is given to you. Peace.

I don't pay my lawn guy either, but I do let him sleep with my young wife. So I think that's fair.

Last edited:
Have always done all lawn care myself, and still able and willing to do so as long as I am able. It's fun maybe the first two mowings of the season, then a bit of a PITA the rest of the Central Ohio growing season.
Have two self propelled gas mowers, as a backup is handy should we suffer a mechanical breakdown mid-season. Weed control and fertilizer applications are really a breeze.
As said above, it's tough to pay someone to do a relatively simple job that helps keep me in reasonably decent physical shape.
We hire it out only when doing more than 5-6 consecutive nights travel.

Ok, ok, I see the wool pulled over my eyes! Peace to all the lawnmowers out there!!

Now, all our mowing/trimming, etc., is done by the HOA grounds guys. But, back in the day, DW wanted an electric mower so she could cut the lawn. I gave in. I think it was the third time she mowed, she ran over the cord. It blew out the mower. It blew out the plug on the back porch. It blew the circuit that ran the back porch.

All in all, some folks just weren't meant to mow grass, I guess. SO, I had to go back to the gas power mower and do it myself.

Now, all our mowing/trimming, etc., is done by the HOA grounds guys. But, back in the day, DW wanted an electric mower so she could cut the lawn. I gave in. I think it was the third time she mowed, she ran over the cord. It blew out the mower. It blew out the plug on the back porch. It blew the circuit that ran the back porch.

All in all, some folks just weren't meant to mow grass, I guess. SO, I had to go back to the gas power mower and do it myself.

I understand that. I tried mowing the lawn 1X. I had an allergic reaction with my eyes swelling and tearing, my head filling with mucus, my nose running, etc. I looked like I was crying. It wasn't pretty.

I still say they should have hung that jerk that invented lawns.

That would be Mr. Edwin Beard Budding (1795-1846) from Stroud, Gloucestershire, England, who was granted a patent on August 31, 1830 for a "machine for mowing lawns, etc." BTW, there is a neat lawn mower museum in London, England. I kind of doubt you'd be interested though.

https://www.thoughtco.com/first-lawn-mower-1991636

Actually lawns existed long before Mr. Budding's invention, but were expensive to maintain as the cutting had to be done by teams of men with scythes.

Here's a short and relatively unbiased history of lawns. Most "history of lawns" articles are written by people who either love lawns, (think Scotts Co.) or people who hate them.

https://worldhistory.us/american-history/the-history-of-american-lawns.php

My lawn/fence/pond/road/outdoor guy has retired for the summer. It will all still be there when the weather cools off.

Last edited:
I mowed for 55 years. Then my daughter asked me why I was still doing it when could easily pay for it. I hired a guy and when he showed up I took a nap. No mowing for me.

Back
Top Bottom