Need to replace Iphone XR

Bruno

Recycles dryer sheets
My daughters Iphone XR is running slow and can not update to new IOS 16.3. Its freezes up all the time. I was going to reset it but cant back it up and old backup is 5 months old. On the AT&T website it was not showing her correct model and ATT changed it and her phone went to SOS mode. AT&T tech support made it work on eSim. I was going to put her sim in a old iphone 6 so she would have something but not sure how the eSim works. We are on AT&T 6GB plan so we usually just buy phones out right. What, where and how would be the most cost effective iphone to get her? I dont think she needs a 14. Is a iphone 12 a good one? TIA for any ideas.

Last edited:
I've got an iPhone7plus that works fine but is obsolete as far as being able to update to IOS 16.3, plus the battery is degraded to about 79% of capacity. I've been checking out the refurbished 12 pro max models on Amazon. I'm pretty sure the only model right now with the e-sims is the US edition of the iPhone 14. Being the cheap arse that I am, I hate to spend money on these over priced things and the carriers should wear a mask when you sign up for their contracts. The first iPhone (5s) I got was a Christmas gift and my current one I got from my son, cost me a Scotty Cameron putter. I'll probably hold off until the 15s come out and still buy a refurbished 12 model hopefully for $500 or less. To answer your question, I would recommend one of the refurbished 12 models as they are basically the same as the 14s, either unlocked or on the AT&T carrier.

I notice that Walmart showing a ATT Iphone 12 prepaid for $399. I have bought prepaid phones in past and just moved my sim. It now says must purchase a prepaid plan?

My daughters Iphone XR is running slow and can not update to new IOS 16.3. Its freezes up all the time. I was going to reset it but cant back it up and old backup is 5 months old. On the AT&T website it was not showing her correct model and ATT changed it and her phone went to SOS mode. AT&T tech support made it work on eSim. I was going to put her sim in a old iphone 6 so she would have something but not sure how the eSim works. We are on AT&T 6GB plan so we usually just buy phones out right. What, where and how would be the most cost effective iphone to get her? I dont think she needs a 14. Is a iphone 12 a good one? TIA for any ideas.

iPhone XR does support eSIM, which will have the same carrier info that a SIM card will have.

iPhone 12 would certainly be better than iPhone 6 or Xr. A couple of years old but should be current or able to be updated for a couple more years.

iPhone XR does support eSIM, which will have the same carrier info that a SIM card will have.

iPhone 12 would certainly be better than iPhone 6 or Xr. A couple of years old but should be current or able to be updated for a couple more years.

Just not sure how esim is very easy to switch to another phone. We would only be using the 6 until we get the XR fixed or replaced.

I had a 12 mini and was very happy with it. I upgraded to a 13 mini when they discontinued the mini version so that I’d have the latest mini in the hopes that it will last the longest. Maybe they’ll introduce a new mini before my 13 goes bad. iPhone 20 mini? Who knows.

Just not sure how esim is very easy to switch to another phone. We would only be using the 6 until we get the XR fixed or replaced.

iPhone 6 doesn't support eSIM.

Yeah the first time T-Mobile set it up for me, it took awhile. But when I upgraded the phone, the eSIM info transferred as part of the set up process on my iPhone 14 Pro.

It is tricky because you can load several eSIMs and have two active at a time.

But I don't know what they do if you're switching carriers and you just want to add the new carrier eSIM. I think you can delete the old ones you no longer need but your old carrier will probably unprovision it if you cancel their service.

But if you're loading an eSIM for the first time, you may have to talk to customer service to have them provision it.

It's a new thing so carriers do it differently. I know some carriers will send you a QR code and if you scan it, it's loaded into your phone.

iPhone 6 doesn't support eSIM.

Yes we are going to ATT store to see about getting it back to regular sim. Iphone 6 just to get my daughter going shes in college. The apple store first appointment is Wed. of next week. What i hate is you really CAN NOT talk to a live person at the Apple store.

It seems to me APPLE just wants you to get a NEW phone.

Last edited:
Yes we are going to ATT store to see about getting it back to regular sim. Iphone 6 just to get my daughter going shes in college. The apple store first appointment is Wed. of next week. What i hate is you really CAN NOT talk to a live person at the Apple store.

It seems to me APPLE just wants you to get a NEW phone.

But of course ...

My daughters Iphone XR is running slow and can not update to new IOS 16.3. Its freezes up all the time. I was going to reset it but cant back it up and old backup is 5 months old.
You might buy an online storage plan from Apple for a short time, hoping the phone will run long enough to put its contents into the cloud. That would give you the option of either a hard reset, wiping her current phone for a fresh start, or replacing it.

Interesting that it won't install iOS 16.3. Everything newer than an iPhone 6 is supposed to be able to use it. The XR isn't particularly old, about 4 years from introduction.

Last edited:
iPhone 6 (not 6 Plus, which came out a year later) was released in September 2014 so over 8 years old now.

That's a long time in technology.

I had a 12 mini and was very happy with it. I upgraded to a 13 mini when they discontinued the mini version so that I’d have the latest mini in the hopes that it will last the longest. Maybe they’ll introduce a new mini before my 13 goes bad. iPhone 20 mini? Who knows.
From what I've read, it sounds like the 13 mini may be Apple's last mini. Sales have been poor for the 12 mini and 13 mini, which leads to this possibility.

iPhone 6 (not 6 Plus, which came out a year later) was released in September 2014 so over 8 years old now.

That's a long time in technology.
Yeah. Our Samsung S5 Active (purchased as new old-stock in the Summer of 2017) was released as a new model in May 2014. The phones won't upgrade past Android 6, which is a huge security risk. So, we're about to buy our first new smartphone, the iPhone 13. This will be the first Apple product of any kind for us. Our kid, who is almost 30, has been using iPods since forever and had an iPhone 5S as their first smartphone. Size-wise, the 13 is nearly the same as the S5 Active, albeit with a much larger screen (6.1" vs the S5's 5.1").

From what I've read, it sounds like the 13 mini may be Apple's last mini. Sales have been poor for the 12 mini and 13 mini, which leads to this possibility.

But who would have thought they’d bring back a flip phone, yet her we are with these folding phones. I’m not sure why the minis don’t sell well. I really like the size. It fits easily into my front pocket and works well with my trucks infotainment center. Even with a bigger phone I’d need my glasses so size of the screen is really not an issue. Oh well.

I just bought my second IPhone SE with 64gb from Tracfone for less than $100. It is remaufactured and you need to buy a monthly plan for about $20. I've used them for more than a decade very successfully. They are owned by Verizon and use the Verizon network. The iphone SE still qualifies for the latest IOS. The sales come and go but my latest order was just on January 31.

I just bought my second IPhone SE with 64gb from Tracfone for less than $100.

Thanks Troutnut1, I also bought a SE 2020 for my replacement and love it. It was a prepaid at walmart for $199 but just moved my sim. There was a BIG warning it could ONLY be used with prepaid but working fine.

Thanks Troutnut1, I also bought a SE 2020 for my replacement and love it.
My current phone is an SE 2020. My eyes aren't enjoying navigating by the small display these days, and battery life could be a little better at 20 months or so (86% health, seems a little optimistic), but speed and performance are good.

The chips on the iPhone SEs are good but the screen quality isn't as good. It's not OLED.

Also the camera obviously isn't as advanced as the Pro models.

DD has iPhone SE 2020, loves everything except camera picture quality in low light.
Planning to upgrade to 13 mini next year or so.

DD has iPhone SE 2020, loves everything except camera picture quality in low light.
Planning to upgrade to 13 mini next year or so.
My wife has an iPhone 13 (not Pro), and the camera is quite a bit better.

Back
Top Bottom