Netflix Documentary: Get Smart w/ Money

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I heard about this from an email from Mr Money Mustache in which he is one of the "financial experts" that offers advice to a high earning couple. As described by Netflix:

Financial advisers share their simple tips on spending less and saving more with people looking to take control of their funds and achieve their goals.

I am slightly curious, but I don't know that I would actually want to spend an hour and 33 minutes watching it. So...how about some of y'all take a gander and report back here? ;)

Last edited:
From the MMM email:

Somehow old Mr. Money Mustache and several friends got lured into playing a role in making it. And I’m very happy with the results!

cringe...

No mustache man for me thanks, pass.

Think along the lines of "The Biggest Loser" for finances. I was ready to turn it off around the 8 minute mark, but watched the entire thing.

They took folks that were at 4 different points along the finance spectrum and had 4 different financial coaches working with them. Mr. Money Mustache worked with the ones who had plenty of income and potential, already having about $400,000 in savings to start. He simply got them to reduce their budget, which was high. On their own they decided to sell their home and downsize (toward the end), and at the end of the first year, they had a bit over $500,000 in savings.

Another was a pro football player a couple years out of college who got injured and cut, going from $1.6m/year salary to nothing. He then gets to training camp with Chicago, doesn't make the cut, but gets on the practice squad for $10,000/week and shortly after makes lineup and back over $1MM/year. Today he's 26 years old and cornerback for the Falcons. It was interesting that at the end of it, they mentioned he was playing for the Falcons, but did not say his salary - I just went and looked that up...he was just demoted to their practice squad a few weeks ago. His pro football career is probably near its end.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/jalen-tabor-21794/cash-earnings/

The above two cases really didn't do much (if any) real belt tightening. The other two cases were more about Average Joes who had bigger financial issues and were more interesting as they made progress.

Last edited:
The documentary was for those who do not understand how to save or handle money. Mostly younger people get lost in CC debt or cannot quit spending. The couple making great $$ due to the DW's entrepreneurial skills, stay-at-home dad, and 2 kids spending too much. They want to FIRE but again, spend too much.

The football player had no idea how to invest. It scared him, he didn't understand the stock market. I think it was a good tutorial for those learning LBYM. It's simple. But so many have no clue how to do that.

Think along the lines of "The Biggest Loser" for finances. I was ready to turn it off around the 8 minute mark, but watched the entire thing.

They took folks that were at 4 different points along the finance spectrum and had 4 different financial coaches working with them. Mr. Money Mustache worked with the ones who had plenty of income and potential, already having about $400,000 in savings to start. He simply got them to reduce their budget, which was high. On their own they decided to sell their home and downsize (toward the end), and at the end of the first year, they had a bit over $500,000 in savings.

Another was a pro football player a couple years out of college who got injured and cut, going from $1.6m/year salary to nothing. He then gets to training camp with Chicago, doesn't make the cut, but gets on the practice squad for $10,000/week and shortly after makes lineup and back over $1MM/year. Today he's 26 years old and cornerback for the Falcons. It was interesting that at the end of it, they mentioned he was playing for the Falcons, but did not say his salary - I just went and looked that up...he was just demoted to their practice squad a few weeks ago. His pro football career is probably near its end.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/jalen-tabor-21794/cash-earnings/

The above two cases really didn't do much (if any) real belt tightening. The other two cases were more about Average Joes who had bigger financial issues and were more interesting as they made progress.

Thank you for your report back and "taking one for the team."

Watched by fast forwarding. Such a waste of time. Certainly this group is not the target audience.

I did the same and I agree that it was a waste of time. The couple that MMM "coached" had a SAHD and the wife was billed as a "psychotherapist" (and was able to get licensed with a MA degree in "Art Therapy"? Really?!?) that was making about $150K a year and "on track" for $300K a year...yet she has recently changed her direction and become a life coach of sorts. MMM was able to select the participants and he "has become friends with them" but I have a sneaking suspicion they knew each other before the documentary. So... I would give it a solid 1/10 rating.

I agree most people here would not learn anything new and probably be bored watching it.

I find stuff like this program helps remind me of how we were once caught up in the keep up with Jones lifestyle mindset. Now it's keeping up with the Kardashians and all the celebrities hyping things like sports betting and drinking. I know it's been going on forever and it makes me sad.

I am glad to see more of this type of content being put out for those looking for inspiration and a place to start getting their financial lives in order. I found the program entertaining enough to watch the whole thing. Kuddos for those that participated in it and shared there journey's. May they find their way here someday!

Where there is hope there is hope.

...Now it's keeping up with the Kardashians and all the celebrities hyping things like sports betting and drinking. ...

And let's not forget the BILLIONS of dollars that advertisers are spending on "influencers"; the whole industry is fascinating and depressing. I saw the some YouTube "star" had over 10,000 people show up to a mall in NJ for a pop-up burger place he was opening. As I understand, it was widely understood that the food would be terrible but yet people STILL wanted to see this guy. I guess I will chock it up to one of many things I will never understand.

I almost made it to the end but couldn't.

I hope this isn't a true presentation of how most people in this country manage (or mismanage) their money.

:facepalm:

I almost made it to the end but couldn't.

I hope this isn't a true presentation of how most people in this country manage (or mismanage) their money.

:facepalm:

It very well could be!

I’m going to pass. Too depressing and MMM gives me the heebee-jeebees anyway!

I watched it. Too basic for this group. I suggested my 21 year old daughter check it out.

I watched it. Too basic for this group. I suggested my 21 year old daughter check it out.
If your daughter watches it would be interesting to hear her thoughts on it. It's definitely geared towards those just beginning the cash is king debt is dumb journey.

I used to have our kids watch Til Debt Do Us Part to get an idea of how to manage household bills as adults.

Back
Top Bottom