Never Install Updates

Chronic updating merely exchanges one set of bugs/holes for another. It's a lot of effort and disruption for little gain.

Apple definitely has ways of shooting themselves in the foot. But, so far being hobbled has only made them tons of money. I do wish they would make the earlier apps available.

That sure is true. I think largely because people don't complain enough about this sort of thing. Some probably don't know enough to complain - it tells them they can't load that app, so they just accept it, and don't know that there is a reasonable alternative. And on the positive, Apple sometimes/(often?) does do a really good job with integration of apps, but sometimes drops the ball in major ways.

OTOH, I had Android phones where between the phone service provider and the phone manufacturer, the updates to Android were never available. Another phone had the awful habit of rebooting at 2:00 AM every morning and waking me up with a loud 'DROID' voice (how stupid is that!]?). The phone company blamed the manufacture, who blamed Google, who blamed the phone company, and it was never fixed. At least with Apple I can go to the Genius bar and get some help.

Everything is flawed to some degree, we just have to pick our poison. But so far, I've been a lot happier with Android/Linux stuff than I am with the problems I encounter with Apple stuff lately. But that will vary with the individual, their expectations, needs, and exactly what products they buy. At least we have a choice.

The Genius bar can be a good thing, but I'm certain they could not have helped me load an old version of an app on my old generation iPod Touch.

-ERD50

Last edited:
How about Smart phone updates? Sometimes my Android phone tells me what has been updated, other times it asks and I never update......months ago I updated a GPS program, Android switched providers taking away a free GPM and installing one that cost $1.99 month. How do all of you handle smart phone updates?

I allow essential updates to be automatically installed on my PC, but I only ever manually update apps on my android phone if I've been waiting for a fix to a known problem with the app or gives me more levels in a game (like candy crush saga). Most app updates only change ads over, so are a waste of time.

HP updates

Sounds like most of your problems have more to do with the HP updates than the Windows updates. The HP updates (drivers,BIOS) are rarely security related and may not be needed unless you're seeing problems. I would definitely select to be notified before installing any of those updates.
+1
I had a same problem with HP updates, so I stopped installing them.
Windows 8.1 is an other story. After my last update and reboot, I was asked to provide MS Account password - which I did not remember so I was stuck looking at the dead laptop. It offered me advice to reset my password, if only I could get the Windows 8.1 to load - it made me angry! I see how MS is loosing Windows customers to iPads & such.
I took a deep breath, looked up the MS password on DW computer; then I Googled my login problem: Change Microsoft live to a local account in Win 8.1. :mad:
Again - The first thing you have to do is get to 'Your Account screen' and simply disconnect. from the cloud ?? :dance:

My Generation 3 iPod Touch turned into a paperweight one app update at a time. And it seems once updated, you can't go back to the one that used to work.

I learned to keep a copy of the old apps from the iTunes folder. You should be able to install the old one. I've done that in the past, but I'm an android person now, so I don't recall the details.

I started keeping the old apps when I updated IMDB, and it had only added a lot of ads.

I learned to keep a copy of the old apps from the iTunes folder. You should be able to install the old one. I've done that in the past, but I'm an android person now, so I don't recall the details.

I started keeping the old apps when I updated IMDB, and it had only added a lot of ads.
Thanks, I'll look around in the iTunes folder and see if older apps linger there.

Very timely... Just spent too much time trying to fix a
"resolving host "
problem, that has so many causes, that there are thousands of posts, purporting to be "fixes"...

Also, an oddball Chrome problem where all other browsers are OK, but Chrome
resizes/changes resolution to 8 bit color.

:mad: ... and my favorite... the formerly "great" websites for downloads are now requiring you to use their installer.. which usually pimps for other companies by sneaking in anti-virus programs, "fix my computer" programs, or othr stuff you don't want or need. I get tired of reading the "read this" agreement files which sometimes go to many pages.

Not sure where, but somewhere betweeen Elder Geek, CNet, FileHippo or similar websites, I picked up the dreaded Conduit A disease. (you'll know if you get it)

But all of these problems pale into insignificance when one tries to use the Windows Help files... In regard to my problem with "resolving host" I came upon a Microsoft forum thread... suggested as an answer. Hey... no kidding.... The customer asked about this, and followed through with the "tech"... 127 posts... every other one, suggesting a reboot, and requiring a copy of the registry file involved. Five stars for persistence for both tech and customer, but on the 127th post, the tech gave up... :LOL:

enough the rant

Not germaine here, but passing on a free maintenance file for PC's that works really fast, for cleaning, repairing and general file work. Things like defragging, register cleaning and removing duplicate files and a dozen other maintenance projects... are almost twice as fast as the Microsoft, and even the most well known system maintenance files like System Mechanic and CCLeaner. Might be worth a try...
SLIMCLeaner

Last edited:
:mad: ... and my favorite... the formerly "great" websites for downloads are now requiring you to use their installer.. which usually pimps for other companies by sneaking in anti-virus programs, "fix my computer" programs, or othr stuff you don't want or need. I get tired of reading the "read this" agreement files which sometimes go to many pages.

Not sure where, but somewhere betweeen Elder Geek, CNet, FileHippo or similar websites, I picked up the dreaded Conduit A disease. (you'll know if you get it)

CNet, used to be ok. Last time I downloaded from there, picked up a root kill.

Thanks guys, I failed to see their F$@!+&£ humor.
MRG

My Generation 3 iPod Touch turned into a paperweight one app update at a time. And it seems once updated, you can't go back to the one that used to work.

I have an update waiting for Fitbit on my iPad. It will install Chinese and Italian translations. Um, no.

I don't see a way to delete the little red update flag from the app icon on the iPad desktop without installing the updates. Grr.

Thanks, I'll look around in the iTunes folder and see if older apps linger there.

You need to copy them to another folder or they will be overwritten.

On android, I have an app called "Easy App Backup" that does this for me every time I install an upgrade to an app (I guess I break my rule occasionally on android).

You need to copy them to another folder or they will be overwritten.

On android, I have an app called "Easy App Backup" that does this for me every time I install an upgrade to an app (I guess I break my rule occasionally on android).
Thanks, good tip. Indeed all the apps in my iTunes folder are the latest version.

Thanks, good tip. Indeed all the apps in my iTunes folder are the latest version.

IIRC, when you update, the old apps will be in the trash. If you catch it, you can copy those items from the trash to somewhere else where you can keep them.

-ERD50

Well, my policy bit me.

I've spent 6 hours total trying to debug a problem with my bluetooth system, and the bluetooth mouse. Three separate sessions with a call center in India.

It turns out that if I'd installed all of the Windows and HP Bios updates, I never would have had the problem in the first place.

I just got finished bare-metal re-installing DD's laptop to eradicate virus aftermath. Required 114 updates after install, didn't go well at first, had to download microsoft's update troubleshooter to fix stuff.

I keep up with the OS manufacturer's updates, windows and linux. It's in their best interest to keep your computer reliable and secure, or you'll be considering a Mac... :D

Well, my policy bit me.

I've spent 6 hours total trying to debug a problem with my bluetooth system, and the bluetooth mouse. Three separate sessions with a call center in India.

It turns out that if I'd installed all of the Windows and HP Bios updates, I never would have had the problem in the first place.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose...

I still remember the time I installed a Service Pack (SP) for Windows 2000. My machine was locked up tight after that.

I went to MS site looking for an answer. In one of their KB (Knowledge Base) articles, they acknowledged that yes, the PC would get totally hosed if it had a DAT drive installed. Remember the Sony DAT? I used it as the backup device, because writable CD capacity was not enough, and writable DVDs were not out yet.

Anyway, what's the solution then? MS said "Reinstall Windows". I went ballistic and called them names for one day straight.

What pissed me off so bad was that they knew about the problem, but did not include a check prior to installing the SP to see if the PC had a DAT drive installed.

There was really no way to undo that SP, and I did end up reinstalling Win2000, after removing the HD and salvaging the user files.

What a piece of crap!

Back
Top Bottom