New Costco store just opened nearby, what items do u like to buy at Costco.

One item I left off my previous list was jars of organic Better Than Boullion chicken base. It is handy for making soups and much cheaper than buying cartons of stock.

One item I left off my previous list was jars of organic Better Than Boullion chicken base. It is handy for making soups and much cheaper than buying cartons of stock.
+1 And the price is unbeatable.

Prime beef
Almonds
Pecans
Olive oil
Avocado oil
Altufo mangos
Parmagino reggiano (Sp?)
Bob’s red mill quick cooking steel cut oats ( just bought 28 lbs)
Kirkland Organic chicken broth
Kirkland Batteries
Rasmali
Maple syrup
Organic 2% milk
Tires
Gas

Curious what part of the country you’re in. The steel cut oats were a staple for us, but we haven’t seen them for at least 6mo.

Some people just get it into their heads that the only thing you can buy at Costco is 5 gallon jugs of mayonnaise and 25 pound sacks of rice. The reality is most of the products they sell are now individual sized or just enough for 2-4 people. But the perception lingers for people who choose not to actually look at what Costco sells and just reject the idea of shopping there based on something they heard or saw in the store many years ago.

There are just two of us. We don’t have trouble with the quantities which are twice what we need immediately. We easily use it up in 2 weeks and plan/organize accordingly.

Well, OK, the TP and paper towel packs last us for months. Easily stored.......

Last edited:
One oddball item: Famous Dave's Signature Spicy Pickle Chips. I currently have 3 half-gallon jars. And I am one person, but let me explain ... one of my lunchtime staples is what my mother used to call "sandwich spread" which is simply any kind of meat made into a "salad" - really a spread - for sandwiches. I make my own tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad, leftover beef/pork salad. Never have enough shrimp or salmon left to make same, but I would. Famous Dave's pickles are almost a requirement for my versions. I haven't found another pickle [including farmer's market small batch varieties) with the same sweet and spicy profile that accents these so perfectly. But, like a number of their items, Costco only buys them once a year, around Memorial Day, and then they last until they run out. I've learned that I need 3 jars to get me through until the next year. But they are good for several years. Right now I'm making up a lunch to take on a birding trip today, and I realized how much comes from Costco - the tuna (lots of cans, but they last a year too), the mayo (goes on sale every 3 months), the pickles. The celery and red onion can come from anywhere, and any extra additions - currently spinach - comes from my garden.

I also make bean salad with the pickles, but that doesn't spread so easily!

Last edited:
Costco

Michelin Tires: saved $110 plus they fill the tires with nitrogen. Free rotation every 5000 miles plus excellent warranty.

Car battery: good deal on a battery for a BMW.

Kellogg’s Raisin Bran: much cheaper than grocery stores and lasts a long time.

Welches fruit snacks, paper goods on occasion.

The best is the fresh baked loaves of bread

Oh, I forgot, DH likes to get a jar of pickled eggs. Good price. All I can say is...yuck, but DH likes them. And pumpkin pie, it's huge (almost as big as a medium-size pizza) and it's only around $6CAD.

TP, Paper towels, Fresh Shrimp , Chicken

Raygun,
All I've ever seen at Costco for shrimp is frozen farm raised.

I suspect it is your location, I'm in Minnesota, but I'm going to look for fresh shrimp again. Wild caught frozen shrimp would be nice.

FYI: The frozen wild caught Alaskan cod is excellent.

Thanks, JP

Raygun,
All I've ever seen at Costco for shrimp is frozen farm raised.

I suspect it is your location, I'm in Minnesota, but I'm going to look for fresh shrimp again. Wild caught frozen shrimp would be nice.

FYI: The frozen wild caught Alaskan cod is excellent.

Thanks, JP
Same here - the shrimp I see is imported shrimp usually from Asia. Since Gulf shrimp is harvested in my area I buy it elsewhere.

Costco favs

TP
Almonds
Pistachios
Vinegar
Some wines
Kirkland vodka
Clothing
Eggplant Parmesan
Cauliflower pizza
Probiotics

Very Berry Yogurt

This: For $1.65

Costco-Very-Berry-Sundae-and-Nonfat-Yogurt.jpg

Last edited:

They discontinued the chocolate yogurt and substituted more expensive drinks for the $1.25 mocha. I don't bother with the snack bar these days, as the pizza is too much for my aging digestive tract. Two days of heartburn for a $2.00 pizza slice is too high a price to pay.

Absolutely love Costco for food:
-Avocados
-Kirkland hummus (20 individual packs)
-Organic chips (for hummus when not cutting peppers/cucumbers)
-Peppers (red/orange/yellow)
-Kale salad
-Bananas
-Organic plant-based protein
-Paleo protein bars
-Organic eggs
-Egg whites
(this is not a complete list but a good start)

Please be careful with tires. I spent around $600 on Michelin tires there and after not too long (don't know the exact time) Hyundai said they are starting to get low. Employee from NTB said they are owned by Michelin and Costco gets different tires to help them save money that do not last as long. This may or may not be true but if my tires are already starting to get low it makes sense.

Please be careful with tires. I spent around $600 on Michelin tires there and after not too long (don't know the exact time) Hyundai said they are starting to get low. Employee from NTB said they are owned by Michelin and Costco gets different tires to help them save money that do not last as long. This may or may not be true but if my tires are already starting to get low it makes sense.
This is quite an inflammatory charge and I really doubt it. Michelin and Costco both have stellar reputations. Basing a "confirmation" on a sample of one (your car) is, well, ridiculous. :facepalm:

Curious what part of the country you’re in. The steel cut oats were a staple for us, but we haven’t seen them for at least 6mo.
I bought oatmeal there called Coach's Oats that was very close to steel cut. Unfortunately I only saw it available for a couple of months for about 3 years. It was faster cooking that regular steel cut oats but almost the same texture and flavor. Most of the time they only have wall paper tasting Quaker Oats :sick:

Cheers!

Are you sure you aren't getting Sears (who was involved at some point with Michelin) mixed up with Costco? I did a search to check on Costco ownership and could find nothing about being owned by Michelin.
I guess to some small degree I own part of Costco since I bought their stock for $63/share. I was so impressed by their company philosophy and how they treat their employees I thought it would be worth taking the chance. I was also impressed with their Kirkland brand that I think is better than the leading brands of those products that I have bought. Now the shares are around $300/sh. Wish I had bought more but I could still live for about 3 years on just those stocks.

Cheers!

We have been buying Michelin tires at Costco for years.

We typically meet or exceed the mileage warranties. Only once in 25 years have we had a mileage adjustment on a set of tires.

We take advantage of their free tire rotation program. We rotate the tires on schedule, routinely check the inflation, and have alignments done when required.

Costco's soft-served ice cream tastes really bad to me. Maybe it has too much cream? It doesn't even seem that cold, and it's a bit waxy?? It has a very strange texture...

Hot dogs are the best thing to get at their food court IMHO. I usually get mine with sauerkraut and onions.

Last edited:

Costco and other big dealers will often buy relabeled tires from the big tire manufacturers.

Look at the name of the tire and model number (not just the company that made it) and the speed, temperature and mileage rating. If they are all the same, it's most likely the same tire. This isn't rocket science.

Costco's soft-served ice cream tastes really bad to me. Maybe it has too much cream? It doesn't even seem that cold, and it's a bit waxy?? It has a very strange texture...

Hot dogs are the best thing to get at their food court IMHO. I usually get mine with sauerkraut and onions.

The stuff in the link is yogurt, not ice cream. Their hot dogs don't taste good to me and I can't handle raw onions very well, so that's why I go for the yogurt and strawberries!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom