NFL: 2017 Season

What a finish in the Steelers-Pats game. Again the rules seem to be getting in the way of the game some days. A nice catch, a stretch for the goal line and a touchdown becomes an incomplete pass and a crazy comeback by the Steelers after the comeback by the Pats goes for naught on a trick play that becomes a deflection and an interception that ends the game. Back in the day that was definitely a touchdown but that's the way it goes.

We were all initially focused on whether the ball broke the plane before he was down and we believed that it had not.... we were thinking that it would have been spotted just inside the 1 yd line.

It wasn't until later that we looked at whether the receiver had possession through the whole catch. Very close call but the ball did seem to bobble a little at the very end of the catch.

Jesse James should not have stretched. Momentum would have carried him in the end zone for a TD.

Jesse James should not have stretched. Momentum would have carried him in the end zone for a TD. ...

Agree on the first part but not the second.

The way I saw it, the ball had not broken the plane when his knee went down... but had he not tried to stretch the catch into a touchdown then he probably would have completed the catch and had the ball inside the 1 yard line.

Agree on the first part but not the second.

The way I saw it, the ball had not broken the plane when his knee went down... but had he not tried to stretch the catch into a touchdown then he probably would have completed the catch and had the ball inside the 1 yard line.

Perhaps. But I don't think the defender was that close to touching him yet had he caught the ball and not stretched out.

This play was one of two which the broadcasters thought at first, the call would stand. In the Packers vs Panthers, the final Panthers' TD on one angle looked for sure like the receiver had touched the bounds line. On another angle, looked like he was just in.

The ball moved and the end of the ball hit the turf. No catch a trap .

Certainly wasn't a trap. He clearly had the ball under control but lost it as it hit the ground in his outstretched hand. In the old days, it would have been the ground cannot cause a fumble, these days it's he didn't make a football move. Though to me stretching out to get into the endzone is pretty much the most basic football move and the ball was across the plane of the goal line before he lost control of it. Just is funny how the rules change and the game changes over time. All good with me as I was rooting for the Pats watching the game in a pub in New England.

Perhaps. But I don't think the defender was that close to touching him yet had he caught the ball and not stretched out.

This play was one of two which the broadcasters thought at first, the call would stand. In the Packers vs Panthers, the final Panthers' TD on one angle looked for sure like the receiver had touched the bounds line. On another angle, looked like he was just in.

Good point on the defender. In the "old" days once the ball broke the plane in the receiver's control the play would be over and if he dropped it after it broke the plane it wouldn't matter (as I recall).

Just noticed something on the replay while watching the morning news that seems to confirm that the ball was bobbled... when the receiver and ball hit the ground you get a flash of the laces of the ball seeing that the ball definititely rotated... receiver lost his grasp on the ball when he hit the ground.

Watching the Sunday Night game, we have another heartbreaking end, as the Raiders had a chance to take the lead in the closing seconds as the QB Derek Carr dove for the pylon but fumbled, resulting in a touch back.

That's the way the ball slips :facepalm:.

Attachments

• carr.jpg
    carr.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 18
Yes and again, the chipshot field goal would have sent it to overtime.

The Steelers played a great game even after Antonio Brown went down but they've proven again why they can't beat the Pats. They had two more downs after the controversial call and the worst situation is to throw an interception. Kicking a field goal to go to overtime would have giving them an opportunity to win in OT. Tomlin said they always play to win but that's why he's 2-8 against the Pats.

Last edited:
Watching the Sunday Night game, we have another heartbreaking end, as the Raiders had a chance to take the lead in the closing seconds as the QB Derek Carr dove for the pylon but fumbled, resulting in a touch back.

Was not a heartbreaker for me. :) But it was the first time I saw a referee use a folded piece of paper to determine if someone made a first down or not. Now that's "splitting hairs" (almost). It's really a big joke anyway, since there is no way they can actually place the ball that accurately after a play.

Last edited:
watching the sunday night game, we have another [-]heartbreaking[/-] fantastic end, as the raiders had a chance to take the lead in the closing seconds as the qb derek carr dove for the pylon but [-]fumbled[/-] was stopped by Heath’s heroic effort, resulting in a touch back.

fify. :D

Was not a heartbreaker for me. :) But it was the first time I saw a referee use a folded piece of paper to determine if someone made a first down or not. Now that's "splitting hairs" (almost). It's really a big joke anyway, since there is no way they can actually place the ball that accurately after a play.

The announcers were saying, why a folded paper and not one sheet :LOL:.

In both cases, the Steelers and Raiders, one former ref put it best by mentioning something like "If stretch to try for the extra yard or feet, you do so at your own risk."

And to me that is something that a player should understand... IOW, Carr should never have been stretching like he did.... sure, making it makes a touchdown, but losing it loses the game... risk reward.... if he had carried it out of bounds they had another play and could have scored...

And to me that is something that a player should understand... IOW, Carr should never have been stretching like he did.... sure, making it makes a touchdown, but losing it loses the game... risk reward.... if he had carried it out of bounds they had another play and could have scored...

I love that touchback rule. Otherwise, players would be diving all the time. But now, that's a gamble.

..... In both cases, the Steelers and Raiders, one former ref put it best by mentioning something like "If stretch to try for the extra yard or feet, you do so at your own risk."

I love that touchback rule. Otherwise, players would be diving all the time. But now, that's a gamble.

You expect those guys to think risk/reward in the heat of competition? :D

Yes, you can be the hero or you can be the goat.

Or in the case of Tom Brady yesterday, both hero and GOAT. :D

+1 As I said with some friends as we were watching the Patriots/Steelers game.... I'll root for any team playing against Pete Carroll... its sort of like, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I would like to say "Thanks" to the Texans for a coach who took Denver to a Superbowl win and a paid-for quarterback who turns in a decent game on occasion. :D

Hey, at the end of this season the Texans will have another coach up for grabs! And maybe a quarterback or two!

Ged them while they are HOT!!:D

Denver may be likewise. :LOL:

Maybe they should just trade coaches and QBs.

Maybe they will put Clowney up for grabs too, especially after his post game comment about the Jacksonville QB. Very embarrassing as a professional, to say the least.

It's no wonder viewers are shutting off NFL coverage in mass.

Back
Top Bottom