Nice Graphic for Low Carb Fans

I would agree with part of the chart. Greater satiety = lower calorie intake, yes. Not so sure about the higher metabolism.

Here's is one doctor's take on recent developments in the controversy over carbs, fat and health:

High Carbohydrate Intake Worse than High Fat for Blood Lipids

In an interview on Medscape, Dr. Mahshid Dehghan, the principal author of the abstract said (3):
To summarize our findings, the most adverse effect on blood lipids is from carbohydrates; the most benefit is from consumption of monounsaturated fatty acids; and the effect of saturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids are mixed. I believe this is a big message that we can give because we are confusing people with a low-fat diet and all the complications of total fat consumption, and WHO and AHA all suggest 55% to 60% of energy from carbohydrates.

Any comments and opinions in using Splenda as a sugar substitute on a low carb style diet?

I don't use artificial sweeteners so don't really know what impact they have. Not sure if they are equally as bad as drinking these so called diet sodas, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Any comments and opinions in using Splenda as a sugar substitute on a low carb style diet?

I don't add sugar or substitutes so for what it is worth. I do read many low carb folks do use Splenda or other substitutes.

Start tracking how much added sugars are put in foods and you wonder how can we eat this much added sugar? I mostly quit it(other than Ben and Jerry’s:sly:).

Here's is one doctor's take on recent developments in the controversy over carbs, fat and health:

High Carbohydrate Intake Worse than High Fat for Blood Lipids

the funny thing is when I first did the mcdougall plan which is high carb low fat it was not for weight loss . my triglycerides were at 900 and cholesterol was 450 . I genetically started running high levels .

so I went on that diet and the numbers improved drastically . the lipid profile was so good I was taken off meds

I don't add sugar or substitutes so for what it is worth. I do read many low carb folks do use Splenda or other substitutes.
Remember, very often many folks do all kinds of negative things.

Ha

the funny thing is when I first did the mcdougall plan which is high carb low fat it was not for weight loss . my triglycerides were at 900 and cholesterol was 450 . I genetically started running high levels .

so I went on that diet and the numbers improved drastically . the lipid profile was so good I was taken off meds

We are all different when it comes to food and how are bodies handle it.
I'm glad that McDougal works for you and others. I can't argue with success. :D

Remember, very often many folks do all kinds of negative things.

Ha

Or positive things that others regard as foolish, but later turn out to be wise.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
- Mark Twain

Or positive things that others regard as foolish, but later turn out to be wise.

- Mark Twain
Very good points. However, I will fade anything that becomes popular among the US mass population without much risk of being long-term wrong.

The more popular, convoluted, expensive and media dense a practice is, the more likely it is to be wrong-headed.

People are rarely interested in evidence, and when they are, they seldom can interpret it correctly.

I don't often post people's opinions about diet, but here is an opinion well supported by careful evidence, collected by experimenters who were over-all hostile to the way the data turned out, and reported by a guy who managed to become chief surgery resident at Hopkins, a notoriously demanding program.

Good science, bad interpretation - The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Ha

Last edited:
I guess my wife and I have been fortunate. We have never been overweight in our life. My highest BMI was 25, and perhaps 22 for my wife. So, we have never been on any special diet.

When I try to shed some pounds, I just eat less of everything. Well, I did cut down more on carb than on protein, and it's because I am a meat eater. I am at 23 BMI right now.

Very good points. However, I will fade anything that becomes popular among the US mass population without much risk of being long-term wrong.

The more popular, convoluted, expensive and media dense a practice is, the more likely it is to be wrong-headed.

People are rarely interested in evidence, and when they are, they seldom can interpret it correctly.

I don't often post people's opinions about diet, but here is an opinion well supported by careful evidence, collected by experimenters who were over-all hostile to the way the data turned out, and reported by a guy who managed to become chief surgery resident at Hopkins, a notoriously demanding program.

Good science, bad interpretation - The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Ha

I'll take that bet too. Thanks for the excellent article. I haven't been on The Eating Academy in a while, I had forgotten what a good source it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom