Off Beat Ideas

But, but, how do I protect myself from people who insist on being seen naked in public that should not be?

It's been my experience that the ones you'd least like to see in any state of undress are the ones most likely to inflict it on you.

I still haven't recovered from an experience sitting in the Toronto subway in the 1970s across from a (cough, cough) extremely 'sturdy' young woman in a micro-mini skirt.

From the 70s? Wow, what a traumatic experience. The image must have burned itself into your neurons, like a hot branding iron on a calf's rump.

It's been my experience that the ones you'd least like to see in any state of undress are the ones most likely to inflict it on you...
Another irrefutable proof that life is intrinsically unfair.

+1

I had a friend who went to a nude beach (and got naked) and recommended the experience. Ugh. No thanks. Don't want to see anybody else naked and nothing "freeing" (to me) about people seeing me naked.

The people who want to go naked in public are never the people you want to see naked in public. :D

It's been my experience that the ones you'd least like to see in any state of undress are the ones most likely to inflict it on you.

After spending some time lounging on Orient beach in St. Martin a few weeks ago I can definitely confirm this! [emoji15]

Fasting. Going without food for days or weeks, water only.

There was an earlier thread about high blood pressure and I apologetically put up a link healthpromoting.com which talks about fasting to lower BP.

Here's a link to Alan Goldhamer in which he talks about the fasting experience.

Also, one can find talks and question/answer discussions by Goldhamer on Youtube.

Last edited:
I want to know why I turn on airplane mode to limit my phones capabilities.

From the 70s? Wow, what a traumatic experience. The image must have burned itself into your neurons, like a hot branding iron on a calf's rump.

There are some things that you can never unsee. :LOL:

Yet, some posters here keep insisting that some threads are worthless without photos. :nonono:

• Within 50 years we likely will achieve both biological immortality and total automation (any job a human can do, is automated).
  • Humanity will fracture into several types soon after - first signs of this happening are already present. If we are not on other planets within that time period we'll die out shortly after.

Enjoyed this yesterday--Peter Diamandis' "6D's of Exponentials"
https://vimeo.com/126866987

I like to employ a paid financial advisor to handle my equities and people here think I'm nuts.

I like to employ a paid financial advisor to handle my equities and people here think I'm nuts.

Ha ha ha! Me too! Guess now we are both "out." :D

Actually that makes you both like most people, just not like most at er.org. So I guess you're both normal people who choose to hang out with an "off-beat" crowd. :)

You seem to be saying that DIYers are in the minority. This article suggests that the split is closer to 50/50 than decidedly one way or the other: Forbes Welcome

If you have data to the contrary, feel free to post it here for all of us to see.

This could very easily turn into a threadjack or start one of those dreaded diy vs paid advice debate things that accomplish nothing but polarization, so I suggest we don't go there, but if you must, please do it in another thread.

On the last sentence, I would like to point out to the forum ownership and administration team that while many polarizing topics are prohibited here (sexual orientation, race, politics, religion, etc.), the "paid advice vs DIY" debates are allowed. We seem to have a double standard in this retirement forum.

If we can keep the discussion on retirement, then it becomes evident that whether one uses paid advice or does DIY doesn't really matter. In fact if one backs away and sees the big picture, having a plan and executing has more influence on success or failure than using paid advice or DIY. For that matter, a few lattes at Starbucks don't really matter either unless one does this every day and can't really afford it.

Last edited:
Why? Honestly I have ZERO desire to see most people naked.

Well, me neither. I don't however understand why people don't have the option to do so. "Pants optional, not mandatory" :).

Let's face it, most people's bodies are not very close to anyone's idea of perfection. :cool:

Agreed. Not seeing 'normal peoples' bodies (if they choose to) at all creates a very distorted perception of reality. I think we'd all be better off getting a better idea of what is normal, and accepting nudity as the not-big-deal that it is.

Off beat ideas, I know .. this is a safe space right ;)

Do you have an off-beat idea where others think you're off your rocker?
IOW, do you look at the world differently than those around you? What the world thinks is perfectly normal, you raise an eyebrow?
If we can ignore those pesky physics problems -
A self-powered travel trailer. No need for a large, expensive, and infrequently used tow vehicle.
Brilliant. You could call it something like a "Winnebago".
Heh heh, you missed this part -
"Do you have an off-beat idea where others think you're off your rocker?"
Playing along, I was thinking down the line of a minimally powered 'hybrid' unit with a small two cylinder pancake style engine snuggled in around the axles.
Isn't that what a motor-home is?
Ha
Yes it is, my brilliant idea is something slightly different, see post #16
Edit - to add clarity to my crazy idea, the powered trailer can now be towed with a conventional mid sized SUV or such, no need for a large truck/tow vehicle.

OK, this company thinks the idea is not so crazy -

The critical advantage of having a caravan spin its own wheels is cutting down the tow load on the vehicle out front. The E.Home Coco's intelligent control electronics manage the electric motors and cut the effective weight on the tow vehicle to a predefined number. So instead of towing, say, 2,000 lb (907 kg) worth of trailer, the tow vehicle is effectively towing a much lower amount of weight, which Dethleffs puts at 220 lb (100 kg) as an example.
Cutting the tow weight means that even a small vehicle with limited towing capacity can pull the E.Home Coco to camp. It also means that an electric car won't experience the devastating range cut that it would otherwise experience when towing a big, heavy trailer.
https://newatlas.com/dethleffs-electric-coco-caravan/56056/

The battery sends power to the electrified axle, which puts a 40-kW motor at each wheel. Solar panels on the caravan's roof help keep the battery charged.

I call BS on this. The amount of power coming off roof solar panels compared to the amount of power needed to charge those batteries is tiny.

I call BS on this. The amount of power coming off roof solar panels compared to the amount of power needed to charge those batteries is tiny.

No, of course not.
The roof of an RV is an obvious place to mount solar panels. Reading further down page ........

Eventually camping season ends, and the typical trailer begins months upon months of taking up space and collecting dust. Not the E.Home Coco, which is designed to work the entire year. Dethleffs imagines it being hooked up to the home grid, its battery serving as a backup power supply or an active part of a solar system.

IOW, do you look at the world differently than those around you? What the world thinks is perfectly normal, you raise an eyebrow?
The idea that I could retire early and never work again instead of making my life all about some j.o.b. That was 24 yrs ago. They still think I'm crazy but I'm still retired. Apparently it's one of those things most people can see working in practice but know it'll never work in theory.

I don’t want to be famous and I can’t believe my great good fortune in this particular dream coming true. Begged off social media last year in favor of having more face-to-face interactions with people (this forum my one exception) and couldn’t be happier.

Secret to life - the anonyminity of an ordinary life and quality connections IRL.

Once word on this radical approach to life gets out, I fear millions following me as their leader - I must be vigilant to keep a low profile!

Secret to life - the anonyminity of an ordinary life and quality connections IRL.

Once word on this radical approach to life gets out, I fear millions following me as their leader - I must be vigilant to keep a low profile!

For the first part I'd add "Enough money to not have to worry about money, whatever that threshold is for you."

For the second part: We are in no danger of being taken seriously by enough people to lose our anonymity.

IOW, do you look at the world differently than those around you?

The day you accepted a pay check is the day you became a slave to money

A salary is the bribe they pay you to abandon your dreams

Your primary residence is a drag on your finances. The more you spend on it, the worse off you’ll be

Scheduled rebalancing and pre-determined asset allocations are useless

Market timing works. Invest regularly in a low-fee US index and invest more during downturns. No predictions required

You become financially independent once passive income > expenses

Landlords don’t set rents. The market does. The market consists of other tenants. Other tenants are constantly telling you what your tenants should be paying

If you don’t have any vacancy, your rents are too low

Aside from arithmetic and English, the skills learned in school are useless when it comes to money

If you tell your kids that you can’t afford it, you’re teaching them to be poor

Money is not the root of all evil, the lack of money is the root of all evil

Money is only useful when it’s used. Stop trying to hang on to it. It’s an invented tool that wasn’t yours in the beginning and won’t be yours after you’re gone

People who say money doesn’t make you happy, are confused. Money isn’t supposed to solve happiness problems. Money solves money problems

Credit cards are better than debit cards. Nobody should use a debit card

Don’t listen to people who haven’t done what you’re looking to do

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom