Oil change or no?

I have a 2016 Honda Accord with only 4,500 miles. My mechanic (that only works on Hondas) absolutely will not change my oil - even though it's over 2 years old. He keeps telling me to bring it in when it's at 7,500 or when the oil indicator gets down to 15%. He maintains that the first oil change needs to be at the required timing. He said he'd be happy to check everything else if I wanted to bring it in.

I'm pretty sure my Honda dealership would be more than happy to change my oil (and everything else) at 4,500 miles.

I have a 2016 Honda Accord with only 4,500 miles. My mechanic (that only works on Hondas) absolutely will not change my oil - even though it's over 2 years old. He keeps telling me to bring it in when it's at 7,500 or when the oil indicator gets down to 15%. He maintains that the first oil change needs to be at the required timing. He said he'd be happy to check everything else if I wanted to bring it in.

I'm pretty sure my Honda dealership would be more than happy to change my oil (and everything else) at 4,500 miles.

What does the manual say? That should be your guide.

Typically, they say 1 year max, regardless of miles, for all the reasons stated earlier.

-ERD50

It depends on the oil type too, my husband did some googling and he said Toyota suggests it can go up to 10,000 miles without oil change. The manual says much shorter. But he changed anyways because my kid drives a lot, almost to the point of abusing the car.

... my husband did some googling and he said Toyota suggests it can go up to 10,000 miles without oil change. The manual says much shorter. ....
What does that mean? Doesn't Toyota write the manual? -ERD50

Take an oil sample and send it to these guys:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Oil analysis is a quick, nondestructive way to gauge the health of an engine by looking at what's in the oil. People use oil analysis for different reasons: to see if there are any problems developing, to see if their oil is working well in the engine, and to see if they can run longer oil changes. Get started with your analysis by ordering a free test kit.

Strange. I always heard that the first oil change should be early, since the break in period may pick up metal shavings and stuff from the manufacturing process. Or something like that. The oil may be fine, but there might be stuff in it. I say "stuff" like the car expert I am.

However, a bit of googling talks about "break-in" oil (which may be hogwash) and other lubricating that the factory does that they want to stay in place for the 7500 miles (or 15%). So I'm probably going on outdated info. If you've got an expert you trust, I'd stick with him.

Strange. I always heard that the first oil change should be early, since the break in period may pick up metal shavings and stuff from the manufacturing process. Or something like that. The oil may be fine, but there might be stuff in it. I say "stuff" like the car expert I am.

However, a bit of googling talks about "break-in" oil (which may be hogwash) and other lubricating that the factory does that they want to stay in place for the 7500 miles (or 15%). So I'm probably going on outdated info. If you've got an expert you trust, I'd stick with him.

I couldn't find anything in the manual about the first "break in oil" service. The manual does state every 12 months "after the reset" which would indicate a time change (but after the initial change).

I did find this Q&A on the Honda site:

Q: My Honda is equipped with break-in oil, should I change it early?

A: No. To ensure proper engine break-in, the factory-fill engine oil needs to remain in the engine until the first scheduled maintenance interval.
The factory fill oil is the same as Honda Service Replacement Oil. The difference is the Molybdenum lubricant that is applied to specific internal engine components.

This is basically what my mechanic told me. Since the current "Oil Life" is down to 30%, the maintenance minder is obviously taking into account Time as well as Mileage (among other things).

No legacy "break in" oil or dedicated period of time anymore with the newer engines. This is due to better engine part materials, closer manufacturing tolerances, better design, less vibration, better oil too.

Piston rings seat within the bores within a very short time of engine running.

In Europe, where motor oil is quite expensive, OCI's are routinely 15,000 miles or 20,000 KM.

Plus the oil has to be recycled less often, and less maintenance. So oil manufacturer gets the same profit.

Last edited:
Wonder what the price comparison is from changing batteries after they wear out vs changing oil? hmmmm

My batteries are under warranty for 8 years. The battery doesn't disintegrate overnight. Factors such as frigid weather and using the heater lower your range far more than battery age.

My model 3 has a 310 mile range. If in 8 years I lose 2 or 3 percent of range, it isn't going to change anything for me.

But as far as batteries wearing out, have you met anyone who has had this happen?

Interesting comments.....Has this topic tied with debate on early SS benefits, or no mortgage in retirement yet?

I've been driving diesels for 10 years and now just gasoline powered cars. Great strides have been made with respect to diesel emissions over the last 5 years (let's not bring up VW's cheating - they didn't have to do this BTW). Diesel cleanup has focused on NOX which is a precursor to ozone. All good, but it's essentially over here for light vehicle diesels (thanks to VW).

Gasoline cars are going to be subject to new particulate emissions very soon (2019?) and many cars will be equipped with prticulate filters and associated hardware and software. Diesels have had this technology for at least the last 5 years. This will make gasoline burning cars more complex, more expensive, but "cleaner" as the previously lightly regulated PM emissions will be controlled.

The thing I dislike most about diesels is the way some boneheads modify their pickup trucks so they can lay down a cloud of black smoke when they punch the accelerator.

I'm going to change oil in the hawk before I store it this winter

Oil today is very high quality and many of the recommended change intervals (& monitors) go as far as 15,000 miles but still every car manufacture I know of wants a change at least once a year no matter how few miles you drive. Probably why the OP said one of his vehicles monitor went to zero while it was parked over the winter.
Always better to store any engine for a long period of time with clean oil. There are corrosion inhibitors and buffers in the oil but acidity and moisture can still build up and the filter does nothing to protect against them.

I've been driving diesels for 10 years and now just gasoline powered cars. Great strides have been made with respect to diesel emissions over the last 5 years (let's not bring up VW's cheating - they didn't have to do this BTW). Diesel cleanup has focused on NOX which is a precursor to ozone. All good, but it's essentially over here for light vehicle diesels (thanks to VW).

Gasoline cars are going to be subject to new particulate emissions very soon (2019?) and many cars will be equipped with prticulate filters and associated hardware and software. Diesels have had this technology for at least the last 5 years. This will make gasoline burning cars more complex, more expensive, but "cleaner" as the previously lightly regulated PM emissions will be controlled.

So the exhaust smells should be less (for the newer cars). :cool:

Crankcase oil should last longer, but most will still change it way too early.
The reason gasoline powered cars are getting particulate filters is because they have adopted high pressure gasoline direct injection systems similar to diesel injection systems. Older, simpler and cheaper port injected gasoline engines (still being made today but fading away) have no need for particulate filters. I doubt that anyone is smelling the particulates but they are bad for your lungs.

Would love to hear from anyone who has had an "OIL" problem no matter how many miles, or how long. :confused:

I had a 2011 Chevy Traverse with an oil life monitor. We followed the monitor closely and delayed conventional oil changes until the monitor reached about 10% oil life remaining. Sometimes this would reach 7,000 miles or more. I was never comfortable with that long an interval but I figured GM knew better than me (I know, stupid mistake). Around 50k miles, the SES (service engine soon) indicator light started coming on periodically. The codes usually indicated random misfires or specific cylinder misfires. After researching the issue, I found that the oil life monitor on these cars was not calibrated properly and the extended oil change intervals was causing the timing chain to overheat and stretch, resulting in the engine misfires and in many cases severe internal damage to the engine requiring very costly repairs. Since then, I don't rely on oil life monitors. 3,000 miles on conventional oil, 5,000 miles on synthetic.

I've been watching my boss follow a routine for the 30 years I've been working with him. He buys a new truck, changes the oil at 30,000 miles, changes it again at 60,000 miles and then trades it in on another new truck at around 90-100K miles. Yep, two oil changes for the lifetime of the vehicle. I don't remember him ever having a truck leave him stranded but his Ford Ranger was making some pretty bad noise right before he traded it in.

I was on the opposite side of the spectrum when we had our turbo Miata. We only drove it 200 or so miles per year. I would wash the car and change the oil almost every time it was driven. I did it due to the age of the filter and how hard it was driven (bouncing off the rev limiter or close to it on almost every shift). My other vehicles get driven regularly and I change the Mobil 1 full synthetic about every 5K miles as cheap insurance. I don't mind changing the oil and actually look forward to it since it gives me something to do and makes me feel like I am saving money on car repairs.

We're getting ready to leave for the winter. Remaining oil life on 2016 truck with 16k miles is 23%... changed the oil in May when we got back from Florida.

I'm debating whether to do an oil change before we leave or not... leaning towards not. Similar issue last year and when I got back the oil life had dropped from whatever it was to 0%. Thoughts?

It's not just use, but potential condensation. I drive our truck less than 2000 miles each year. We change the oil in Spring and Fall. Cheap insurance and since we have an extended warranty, they can't say we neglected the vehicle.

I've been watching my boss follow a routine for the 30 years I've been working with him. He buys a new truck, changes the oil at 30,000 miles, changes it again at 60,000 miles and then trades it in on another new truck at around 90-100K miles. Yep, two oil changes for the lifetime of the vehicle. I don't remember him ever having a truck leave him stranded but his Ford Ranger was making some pretty bad noise right before he traded it in.
Just proves that stupid people can be lucky too.

I had a 2011 Chevy Traverse with an oil life monitor. We followed the monitor closely and delayed conventional oil changes until the monitor reached about 10% oil life remaining. Sometimes this would reach 7,000 miles or more. I was never comfortable with that long an interval but I figured GM knew better than me (I know, stupid mistake). Around 50k miles, the SES (service engine soon) indicator light started coming on periodically. The codes usually indicated random misfires or specific cylinder misfires. After researching the issue, I found that the oil life monitor on these cars was not calibrated properly and the extended oil change intervals was causing the timing chain to overheat and stretch, resulting in the engine misfires and in many cases severe internal damage to the engine requiring very costly repairs. Since then, I don't rely on oil life monitors. 3,000 miles on conventional oil, 5,000 miles on synthetic.

I'm really skeptical that extending an oil change from X,XXX to 7,000 miles would have a direct effect on the timing chain at 50,000 miles. It's not like 7,000 is a crazy number, even if it really was a bit beyond what the oil monitor was supposed to be indicating.

The reason gasoline powered cars are getting particulate filters is because they have adopted high pressure gasoline direct injection systems similar to diesel injection systems. Older, simpler and cheaper port injected gasoline engines (still being made today but fading away) have no need for particulate filters. I doubt that anyone is smelling the particulates but they are bad for your lungs.

I had not heard about these particulate filters for gas engines, but a quick search confirmed that gasoline Direct Injection does increase particulates, even though it does improve most everything else. My quick read says these are simpler and are expected to have far less clogging issues than their diesel equivalents.

-ERD50

Thanks for all the input. I decided to just do the oil change now before we leave so the oil that sits in the crankcase over the winter is fresh oil and less acidity. It will be interesting to see how much the computed life degrades from sitting still for 6 months. ....

Just a follow-up. I did the oil change on October 23, 2018 (17,137 miles) just before we left for Florida at ~25% remaining life rather than have old oil sitting in the crankcase all winter.

My November 12, 2018 GMC diagnostic report says 94% oil life and 17,274 miles.

My December 4, 2018 GMC diagnostic report says 88% oil life and 17,274 miles.

The truck is in the garage all winter other than being driven 9 miles from the body shop to the garage in December after having some body work done.

My May 4, 2019 GMC diagnostic report says 47% oil life and 17,283 miles. :facepalm: So ~8%/month with the truck just sitting there? Doesn't make sense to me.

For some reason I didn't get any reports for January-April, I presume because the system knew that the truck hadn't been driven at all.

I think I'll just plan oil changes based on mileage or once a year at a minimum.

Just a follow-up. I did the oil change on October 23, 2018 (17,137 miles) just before we left for Florida at ~25% remaining life rather than have old oil sitting in the crankcase all winter.

My November 12, 2018 GMC diagnostic report says 94% oil life and 17,274 miles.

My December 4, 2018 GMC diagnostic report says 88% oil life and 17,274 miles.

The truck is in the garage all winter other than being driven 9 miles from the body shop to the garage in December after having some body work done.

My May 4, 2019 GMC diagnostic report says 47% oil life and 17,283 miles. :facepalm: So ~8%/month with the truck just sitting there? Doesn't make sense to me.

For some reason I didn't get any reports for January-April, I presume because the system knew that the truck hadn't been driven at all.

I think I'll just plan oil changes based on mileage or once a year at a minimum.

One month is 8% of a year so makes perfect sense. Some of the older systems like the one in my Corvette don't take time into account.

Back
Top Bottom