Old Cars - What Your Mileage?

93 Ford Explorer owned since 11/92 with 143000 km (x 74,752/120,301)=88856 miles
05 Escape 85000 km
08 Nissan 85000 km

The Explorer has been the most reliable car of the three by far.

Next month I am getting a 2003 Olds Aurora from my dad that was my mothers car - It has a whopping 21K miles on it.

In September 2003, I retired my 1984 Chevy Blazer that had 454,000 miles on it officially, but the speedometer broke August 2002 after its 6th deer kill. :confused::confused:

I currently drive a 2004 Chevy Colorado that I purchased in 2007, it had ~39,000 miles on it then. It presently has ~213,000 miles and going strong...it has twelve deer kills over the years.

Are you hunting deer with those trucks? Or live in the woods? I suspect you have a large cattle guard mounted on the front of the truck.

2000 Cadillac Escalade 198,000
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 148,000
DW's 2014 Tucson 62,000

We don't really consider age. Condition is more important. I hate shopping for cars. We we keep them maintained and as long as there are no issues we tend to keep them forever. We expect to keep our 11 year old Accord for another 10 years since we do not put much mileage on it. Besides, there are other things that we would rather spend our money on instead of automobile depreciation.

I love seeing the 200,000+ miles cars. I remember when getting to 100,000 was a big deal. Now, I think any well maintained car will go 100K - but 200K - that's a lot of miles. I'm about to buy a new car (been leasing so this is the first purchase in quite awhile) and I'm hoping to get over 10 years and 150,000. This thread confirms that should be no problem.

Are you hunting deer with those trucks? Or live in the woods? I suspect you have a large cattle guard mounted on the front of the truck.
While I do live in a rural/sub-rural town, I worked at coal mines 45 minutes from the house on average. Underground coal mines aren't located in the big city...if you catch my drift.

Most of my "hits" were what I call self inflicted or just plain suicide. While I w#%ked all three shifts, coming home on afternoon at 3 am or going to day shift at 5 am, most deer are pretty active at that time. Most were already across the road when I saw them and slowed down, but they did a 180 and would run into the door or front fender. I got 3 in one week on the same fender. I always feared a set of antlers through the radiator. Several I just kissed ever so slightly with the front end, they did the "Bambi on Ice" scene on the road, then ended up in a heap.

I don't hunt deer, since I got my "dear" back in '81.

2000 Pontiac-155,000
2001 Jeep 169,000
2006 Hyundai Sonata 145,000
2009 Hyundai Sonata 170,000

2005 Ford Crown Victoria ex-police car, 137000 miles.

When I FIREd in 2012 I needed a cheap car (always had company cars while w#rking) that would last a year or so until I got this retirement thing figured out. This car looked and ran fine and the price was right. I have come to really like this car and 4.5 years later I still have it. It's been 100% reliable and since I do all my own maintenance the cost-to-own is really low. The beauty of an old cheap car is that if something major happens to it you just get it towed to the scrap yard and go find another cheap car. Also, no collision insurance required.

Some people may describe their used cars with phrases like "...only driven gently by a little old lady...". I describe my used car as "having the crap driven out of it by a Charlotte County FL deputy for 7 years and it still runs fine".

We've beat up our 2002 Toyota Avalon, driving it to and back from Mexico twice, not to mention back to Cali a couple times. We're up to just shy of 200k. Bought it new in 2003 and never looked back.

We just had the oil changed and they guy "tapped" my radiator hose trying to get the oil filter loosened. They ended up paying for my new radiator (I tried to pay at least half, he refused).

We have a slight oil leak, but other than that, we just can break the ole girl.

Recently bought a 2012 Sienna with 80k miles. Hope to have a similar experience in 10 years...

1976 VW Rabbit with over 450,000 miles.

Life With My VW Rabbit - Anthony Watson

Of course, that doesn't mean much since I'm on my 2nd or 3rd engine, second transmission, and very few original parts left on the car. :)

Impressive - I actually met this guy at our Volvo dealer:

Highest vehicle mileage | Guinness World Records

At 4 p.m. on 18 September 2013, Irvin "Irv" Gordon (USA) clocked up his three-millionth mile in his 1966 Volvo 1800S while driving near the village of Girdwood, south of Anchorage in Alaska, USA. By 1 May 2014, he had driven 3,039,122 miles.

Irv drives his car on a daily basis and covers an estimated 140,000–160,000 km (85,000–100,000 miles) per year, thanks in part to being driven to numerous car shows and events in the USA and occasionally overseas. The farthest he has driven in one go is from New York to Vancouver, although in total, he's driven the equivalent of nearly 120 complete circumnavigations of the planet.

Irv bought his P-1800S on 30 June 1966 for $4,150 (the equivalent of a whole year's salary) at the age of 25, and has said we would sell it if he can get a dollar per mile!

-ERD50

These are all impressive numbers! I am currently shopping for tires for the G37 and was debating the warranty that different tires come with...the debate was if I would actually have the car long enough to justify spending more $ for the longer warranty, but seeing how as I am putting about 6,000 miles a year on it, I think dry rot would be a bigger risk than wearing them out! :)

1976 VW Rabbit with over 450,000 miles.

Life With My VW Rabbit - Anthony Watson

Of course, that doesn't mean much since I'm on my 2nd or 3rd engine, second transmission, and very few original parts left on the car. :)

Nice story and great car! While not in my possession nearly as long as yours, my 2003 diesel Jetta is at 304,889 miles with original engine and transmission. I am the second owner.

jetta.png

Sort of like the guy who still had his grandfather's axe; only two new heads and three new handles.:angel:

When I saw the title of this thread I immediately jumped to "classic cars" and fuel economy. Why? I don't know, that's just how my brain processed the information. Now that I understand the OP, here's some related information.

When we sold our 1999 Honda CR-V a few years ago it had over 275,000 miles and was working fine. The most significant repair we had made over the years was a new radiator. However, when we sold it the air conditioner compressor needed to be replaced.

Our existing stable of old cars is...

2005 Chevrolet Suburban - not many miles at 114,000

1996 GMC Suburban - low miles for its age at 176,000

1984 Jeep CJ-7 - also low miles for its age at 155,000

1966 Chevrolet El Camino - I don't know how many times the odometer has turned over - estimated mileage is 350,000. The engine has been rebuilt.

Our 2002 Honda CRV (Purchased used in 2003), just hit 300,000 miles. We love this car! Just wondering what other high mileage cars folks are still driving?

I have a 1994 Toyota pickup I still drive to work. I was told when I bought one to make sure you like the color........

2003 VW bug, 184,000
2016 Honda CRV 4,000

Sent from my SM-G935V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

2010 Mazda Miata 22K. We only drive it on roadtrips or during the weekend. Despite the low mileage, we will be selling it soon. We are moving across country in a couple of months and this is not a great car to ferry two people and two cats coast to coast. I don't want to use a car moving service this time either. So we'll sell it and buy a newer Miata on the other side.

2007 Buick Lacrosse 115,000 miles

2015 Toyota Avalon 20,000 miles

Guess which one I get to drive.

Back
Top Bottom