Oral Sex Can Lead to Cancer

Eagle43

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...510/oralsex_cancer_070510/20070510?hub=Health
Oral sex linked to throat cancer: study

Updated Thu. May. 10 2007 1:53 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Oral sex has been linked to throat cancer in a new study by the New England Journal of Medicine.

Human papillomavirus (HPV), which can be transmitted during oral sex, is the main cause of oropharyngeal (throat) cancer, researchers found. The study is the first to prove the link.

Researchers compared 100 men and women who were recently diagnosed with oral cancer with 200 similar people without the disease.

They found that participants who reported having oral sex -- fellatio or cunnilingus -- with six or more partners were at the highest risk (8.6 times more) of contacting throat cancer.

"It's the human papillomavirus that drives the cancer," Dr. Maura Gillison, the lead author of the study, told The Globe and Mail.

Gillison, an assistant professor of oncology and epidemiology at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Md., said the more oral-sex partners an individual has, the greater the risk is of getting oral cancer.

Researchers found that those with HPV infection were 32 times more likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer -- regardless of the previously established risk factors of tobacco and alcohol use.

While there is no screening test for the cancer, Gillison said the risk is relatively low.

"People should be reassured that oropharyngeal cancer is relatively uncommon, and the overwhelming majority of people with an oral HPV infection probably will not get throat cancer," said Gillison.

There is also a new vaccine -- Gardasil -- that protects against several strains of HPV, including the one linked to oral cancer. However, it has not been specifically tested in relation to oral cancer.

The Tories have set aside $300-million for an HPV vaccination program for girls aged nine to 11 but debate remains about the long-term effectiveness and morality of the plan.

According to the Canadian Cancer Society, 3,200 Canadians will get oral cancer in 2007 and 1,100 will die from the disease.

I really wish I wasn't eating right now.

I'm waiting for someone to remark that their spouse has no risk of this cancer...ulp too late.

Laurence said:
I'm waiting for someone to remark that their spouse has no risk of this cancer...ulp too late.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Laurence said:
I really wish I wasn't eating right now.

Must be a trend....another FIRE related trait? :eek:

<<<<<<<<<<They found that participants who reported having oral sex -- fellatio or cunnilingus -- with six or more partners were at the highest risk (8.6 times more) of contacting throat cancer.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bottom line---If you find yourself counting on both hands, you've got a problem.
If you are taking you shoes off :eek: You are screwed in serious trouble.

So I guess that crap about going blind was all bogus :-\

LMAO ooooooooooh I know soooooooo many men I'm going to send this link to !!!! A few women too!!!

counting but not telling how many hands and feet I'm using :-X

I'll have to hide this from the wife.

Of course, then I have to come up with an explanation for all the white-out on her computer screen.

Go ahead, theres a couple of slow and easy ones right over the plate...

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
. . . all the white-out on her computer screen.

Go ahead, theres a couple of slow and easy ones right over the plate...

OK, I'll bite: 'On her computer screen':confused: WTFOS?

You know there is an alternative.

00030452.jpg

OK. As the unofficial voice of medical reason around here (or at least one of them), I have conducted an in-depth analysis of this study. In addition, I have conducted personal research and have designed and tested my own decision analysis.

I turns out that if you weigh the very low risk of throat cancer against the benefits of regular .. uh.. I mean frequent or rather.. repeated oral, that is deep t... um.. fellat.... ah...

Anyway, it turns out that those who carry on as usual are more fulfilled, enjoy more suckcess, and generally take it all in more easily than the general population. The conclusion I have reached is that further, ongoing study is necessary, again and again.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
OK. As the unofficial voice of medical reason around here (or at least one of them), I have conducted an in-depth analysis of this study. In addition, I have conducted personal research and have designed and tested my own decision analysis.

I turns out that if you weigh the very low risk of throat cancer against the benefits of regular .. uh.. I mean frequent or rather.. repeated oral, that is deep t... um.. fellat.... ah...

Anyway, it turns out that those who carry on as usual are more fulfilled, enjoy more suckcess, and generally take it all in more easily than the general population. The conclusion I have reached is that further, ongoing study is necessary, again and again.

Will this be a volunteer double blind study or can we peek?

Ah, the good old ER forum...comforting to know that some things stay constant in this ever changing goddamighty world

I suspect this is only a potential issue for those that swallow..a pretty rare occurance I would spejaculate... someone should do an oral survey...

Back
Top Bottom