Our 65" LG OLED Wall Mounted TV is a lemon

So..I have a functional TV with a good picture..not sure why that bothers you, if a person wants the best picture you'd literally be throwing out your TV every couple years.

I'm not bothered that you think your plasma TV has a good picture.

I didn't say the goal was to have the best picture possible.

I'm saying if you put your plasma TV next to a newer LCD TV you would throw out your plasma TV.

Fortunately we don't view televisions side by side in our home. So whatever we thought was a good choice in the store, whatever criteria you used, it looks great at home. Choosing a TV based primarily on side by side in a store could be a costly mistake.

And televisions always look wonderful in stores because they use specially chosen content that shows the TV at it's best (would look great on any TV), they punch up brightness and contrast plus vivid mode, and the store lighting is optimal for television. Furthermore if you don't choose a good location for your TV in your home, it might not show well - not an issue in a retail store.

I'm just going to quit right here. I never said to compare them side-to-side in the store. I know all about the selective video clips they make to showcase their TV's and the fact that they punch up the color and sharpness. I said if you put a halfway decent LCD TV next to your old plasma TV the picture quality difference would be obvious.

I'm in the same camp as pb4uski... We have a 2008 Sony 40" LCD that won't die.... Still looks good enough that I don't want to blow the dough to replace something that works well. But when it dies, I'll get a bigger OLED. I like tv, watch a lot of it. I'm sure I'd agree, watching side by side with a better tv, that the better tv is nice... but I'm too [-]cheap[/-] frugal to replace a perfectly functional tv.

On the subject of costco warranty... we've had good luck with the costco warranty on our LG fridge. It had a dud icemaker. They repaired it twice, then even after it was out of warranty (by 2 months) they replaced it - because the tech said they should have replaced it on the previous visit (when it *was* still on warranty). The only confusing part was the paper work changed when it switched from the 2 year costco warranty to the 2 year extended warranty because we'd used the citi/costco visa to pay for it. But it was the same service shop.

Our 65" LG OLED Wall Mounted TV is a lemon

I'm in the same camp as pb4uski... We have a 2008 Sony 40" LCD that won't die.... Still looks good enough that I don't want to blow the dough to replace something that works well. But when it dies, I'll get a bigger OLED. I like tv, watch a lot of it. I'm sure I'd agree, watching side by side with a better tv, that the better tv is nice... but I'm too [-]cheap[/-] frugal to replace a perfectly functional tv.

I feel similarly with another reason. My current TV (2016 50” Samsung) and audio is sized perfectly for the room it’s in. I don’t want the TV to dominate that area. If I get a larger TV I suppose I’d locate it in a larger room on a different floor but I’m not craving a real home theater to rival the actual theaters. Guess I’m just a low-key person.

Last edited:
the Costco concierge/technical service is complicated, had to send multiple e-mails with 8 attached pictures as well as answer 8 questions. All I know is our LG 65" Class - CX Series - 4K UHD OLED TV -went blank. The screen went black. There is no power. It's not easy taking pictures of the back of the TV when it's wall mounted. I've made 5 calls to Costco. I keep getting e-mails from them asking for more information. If we are lucky, we may get a service technician here, I do not know when. They are apologetic in the letters which are nice, but it's not getting my TV fixed. BTW, we're going on 2 weeks now for answers and repairs.

Who said the customer service at Costco was fantastic?

We have the same problem with thee same vintage Sony. It seemed big enough back then. I also had a Trinitron that wouldn't die.

I'm just going to quit right here. I never said to compare them side-to-side in the store. I know all about the selective video clips they make to showcase their TV's and the fact that they punch up the color and sharpness. I said if you put a halfway decent LCD TV next to your old plasma TV the picture quality difference would be obvious.

Ok but we are just telling you are saving money!!! I thought that was a good thing. but I have commented to DH why won't that old plasma just die already.

rodi thats me and everyone in my immediate family has a better tv so I couldn't even give it away...so we wait!!!

^^^ +1 I'm watching a 47" Vizio right now that we bought from Costco in Sept 2008 that I have been hoping that it would die for a number of years now so I can replace it with a bigger one.

All of our tvs are wall mounted with swivel mounts, so getting to the SN is easy.
Sounds exactly like one of our old TVs a 2006 Sony Bravia 40” KDL- 40V2500 - still going strong though not “smart.” In our exercise room used almost daily.

Who said the customer service at Costco was fantastic?

I don't think anyone said their service was fantastic. It has been pointed out they have an additional year or two added on to the factory warranty.

Although I guess in your situation that is a difference without a distinction.

I still have a 2010-ish 46" Panny plasma that has great picture (I thought), until I got my 2017 55" LG OLED 4 years ago. There's no comparison, the LG is way better and more importantly it's 4K which looks awesome for my Xbox games.

I did have a panel burn-in issue with mine a year and a half ago, out of warranty of course. It wasn't a logo or image burn-in, it was a greenish blob in the middle of the screen that was visible with certain colors. I tweeted to LG customer support via a recommendation from an avsforum.com thread about these and LG replaced it 'as a one-time courtesy'. They shipped a new panel out and sent a tech to replace it, then shipped the old panel back. All on their dime and I'm sure it wasn't cheap. So they knew they had problems with the early panels, I hope the new one will last longer and I'm not sure I'd buy another LG OLED if it doesn't.

So OP if Costco doesn't come through, try LG customer support - they do take care of out of warranty issues if they're common.

Last edited:
You should put surge protectors between the TV and the plug. At our condo in Florida where power surges are frequent during electrical storms, all electronics and appliances are on surge protectors.

I have a probably overpriced home theater powerbar with surge protection by Monster Power. Since I have nearly $4,000 of equipment plugged into it, it gives me added reassurance. My former work colleague’s wife told me a tree in their yard got hit by lightning and it sounded like an explosion. She said it blew out every electronic device in their home except 2 items. I doubt a surge protector could have prevented that kind of freak massive surge, but for other more common scenarios, I think they are useful.

We have a honkin' great big tv in our bedroom, shoehorned into an old English armoire wardrobe I modified by pushing the back out several inches and adding a shelf. Haven't turned it on in several years but haven't changed it out either - it is of the cathode ray tube design and weighs something like 100#. Embarrassed to say I just don't think I can pry it out of the wardrobe and pack it down the stairs at this point in my life. Bedrooms are for sleeping anyway..

I still have a 2010-ish 46" Panny plasma that has great picture (I thought), until I got my 2017 55" LG OLED 4 years ago. There's no comparison, the LG is way better and more importantly it's 4K which looks awesome for my Xbox games.

I did have a panel burn-in issue with mine a year and a half ago . . .

Interesting, I also replaced an old Panasonic plasma tv that still looked good I thought with a 55" LG OLED 4K tv in 2017. It is definitely a much better picture. Fortunately, I have not had screen burn in despite running the TV way too many hours a day.

My comment was to put them side by side and compare the picture.

The things you list might be true, but:

Most people don't sit 40 degrees off axis when they view a TV. They pretty much sit directly in front of the TV.

Most people (all?) will not notice a difference response/refresh rates unless they are watching a hockey puck being shot at 90 mph.

Most people will not be able to discern that an LED TV has inferior black levels to a plasma TV. In fact, most people don't give a hoot about incremental, machine measurable black level differences. The latest QLED TV's have excellent black levels. Of course the OLED TV's are the best for black levels.

Any person that compares them side-by-side will be able to see the plasma TV is darker and and not as sharp looking as the LCD TV. Plasma TV's give off heat in waves and burn electricity like the Las Vegas strip.

Most (all?) people with LCD TV's don't have to worry about image burn in.

Only the very oldest ones.

Last time I checked with the Kil-A-Watt, my 2008 42" Panasonic plasma (720) used about 150W operating, my 2011 50" Panasonic plasma (1080) used about 180W operating.

Both are in darker rooms (the 50" is in my basement) so I don't need them to be at their brightest level, though I never focused on that anyway, but instead just used the picture settings recommended over at AVS forums for each model.

I also didn't buy them because I was a cinephile, but because they were ~30% cheaper than equivalent-sized LCD HDTVs at the time. :)

Shoot, I considered $650 delivered (Amazon) for my 50" HDTV an incredible bargain back in 2011...also bought a 60" LG plasma for dad for only $999 back then.

Last edited:

I did have a panel burn-in issue with mine a year and a half ago, out of warranty of course. It wasn't a logo or image burn-in, it was a greenish blob in the middle of the screen that was visible with certain colors. I tweeted to LG customer support via a recommendation from an avsforum.com thread about these and LG replaced it 'as a one-time courtesy'. They shipped a new panel out and sent a tech to replace it, then shipped the old panel back. All on their dime and I'm sure it wasn't cheap. So they knew they had problems with the early panels, I hope the new one will last longer and I'm not sure I'd buy another LG OLED if it doesn't.

So OP if Costco doesn't come through, try LG customer support - they do take care of out of warranty issues if they're common.

My bold. Yes, ours was similar before it completely blacked out. Still waiting for Costco. They subcontracted with a company called ITI. The letter said they were waiting for parts. We have to dismantle the TV from the wall. We are within the warranty period. If they don't come through, I'll contact LG. I'm not keen on Costo's subcontractors. When we scheduled to install after buying the TV, their contractors canceled 4 times. Then we canceled them and found someone else.

I recently purchased a TV for my 88 year old mother in assisted living in a state far away from me. I shopped at Costco and Best Buy. Reviews at Best Buy were horrid in spite of what they have told you. Loads of bad experiences there. Their store was bleak and the salespeople awful. Not much selection. So I bought it again at Costco. When we bought our home Sony 65” at Costco it was $1399.00. Before I could get it hung it went on sale for $999.00. Costco cheerfully refunded me $400. We were very happy about that! And as others have mentioned they dramatically extended Sony’s warranty for free.

First, whenever you buy electronics, make it a habit to write down all of those numbers, along with the date it was installed (not the purchase date), & how it was paid for. Saves hassle later on.

Second, Costco does a great job on warranty work. Nearly all of the "guts" in OLED TVs is on one single board. When Costco replaces it, ASK FOR the board!

Also check whether the credit card you used offers an extended warranty.

Third, my 6 year old LG OLED just went belly-up, but it was because of a major power outage. Electronics aren't built to withstand repeated surges & sags in your electrical power! I kept really good notes on what happened, & was happy to find that our power company replaced my TV, along with paying for half of the computer I lost, from the same outage. No fun, but better than being out $5000 instead of $1200!

^^^ +1 I'm watching a 47" Vizio right now that we bought from Costco in Sept 2008 that I have been hoping that it would die for a number of years now so I can replace it with a bigger one.

All of our tvs are wall mounted with swivel mounts, so getting to the SN is easy.

Me too, brother. My darn Samsung I got in 2016 keeps going strong! I want it to die so that I can get a 2022 LG OLED.

:LOL: I’m the same way. Enjoy getting new stuff, but refuse to replace something that’s still humming along…

I have a 11-year old plasma which periodically shuts off. But I've been holding off on buying a big OLED to replace it. Already have a 48-inch OLED in the bedroom so that's been good.

Best Buy will haul away your old big screen TV for like $20 if you are buying a new TV from them.

Otherwise, it probably costs some money to find a recycler or a dump and pay to leave it there.

I would give it away but it might stop working any day now plus it's not easy to move around.

After several e-mail exchanges with Costco and a discussion with their warranty dept. the warranty dept. said the repair could take up to 8 weeks. Parts shipped, when will they arrive at ITI, their 3rd party company to make an appointment with us and so on.

I decided to bring my iPad to the customer service and shared my e-mails from beginning to end. Starting with the issues we had back in 2021 with the delivery and installation of the OLED, which was a pain in the ass. Their 3rd party affiliates Handy Premier canceled 4 times and we finally got our own installers.

Management got involved. They asked me to forward all my emails to one of the managers, going back to March 2021 when we bought the OLED. They are still in discussion about what to do. If they issue a refund, we will March right over to Best Buy and get the TV we want. If they issue a new TV, replacing this one, we’ll take but will never purchase electronics from Costco again. The manager told me they’re a wholesale house and 3 party out any repair or installation. If there are problems, we deal with the 3rd party. What good is a two year warranty when you’re not really even dealing with Costco? You’re dealing with some 3rd party company that has no relationship with you.

My experience with Costco.
1. Purchased inexpensive Hisense TV.
2. Total, warranty. 4yrs. (as other have mentioned).
3. One month before warranty was to expire, TV, had "dark" areas on screen
that would move around.
4. Did everything, OP, did. ie. Called Costco, then Hisense mfg.
5. Did the "taking" pictures of serial number, pictures of the screen.
6. Many phone calls, emails, and more pictures. As requested by Hisense
customer service.
7. End result. After about 6 weeks. Received brand new TV from mfg.

Advice: I've noticed this is the "procedure" one has to follow to get a TV
replaced/repaired. You have to have patience. And expect it will
take time and a lot of correspondence. :)

Costco, IMHO. When it comes to electronics, has the best customer service.
ie. 90 day return.

8. Weird note. I moved the "broken" TV to another room. Turned it on.
and the "dark" cloud was gone. TV working fine for years
now. :LOL:

I know a lot of the "solder" joints are around the "edge" of the TV.
So, grabbing the sides/edge of the TV, when moving, probably
reconnected some loose connectors/solder/wire joints...

I've never bought major electronics from Costco but they have a good rep.

Some people abuse their generous policies, like return a laptop after over a year and get a new one. Not sure if that's still allowed.

But I don't believe they offer delivery and installation, at least in this area.

Especially mounting to the wall can be expensive. So can disposing of your old big screen.

So I am leaning towards BB and their Total Tech coverage for 1 year.

That gets you a TV mounted for $250.

Then other installation services are cheaper for that one year. For instance, you can have them install in wall speakers or say a sound bar on a bracket below the TV.

So I'm leaning towards BB because prices are about the same, though Costco offers that extended warranty.

I think we have the same t.v. that we bought from Costco. So far, no issues....knock on wood!

You may want to consider leaving a bad review on Costco's webpage for this t.v. If nothing else, it gives others a heads up regarding the poor customer service on the warranty. Maybe it will garner additional attention from Costco. ?

I think we have the same t.v. that we bought from Costco. So far, no issues....knock on wood!

Same here. Mine has been great. But I think nearly all electronic devices are well made. If the percentage of lemons was high, the company would go out of business.

Back
Top Bottom