Outdoor air and Corona Virus infections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside singing? I would want at least 10 feet of physical distancing and a breeze to dilute the virus. Belting out those songs stirs up the lungs and forces out a lot of those little fomite things. If it was one short song, fine. But, multiple songs over time makes me nervous. The dose of the virus equals time x concentration. What if you had loud powerful singers on both sides of you?

I don't know. I think I would rather have a runner pass me by at 3 feet for 2 seconds, than be 6 - 10 feet away from loud singers for 20 minutes. Outside or not.

Maybe you should all be singing California Here I Come at the end of the service. It just makes me nervous.

It’s tough isn’t it. Singing is a major way that the attendees participate in a church service. But dang if it isn’t dangerous. Will a mask block enough of the particles expelled?

Whether you are singing at an outdoor church service or anything else you need to ask yourself this question - Is it likely that virus laden aerosols have accumulated near me and how long have I been breathing that air?

I came across this short article this morning, and thought some folks might be interested. It turns out that the chance of contracting this virus through touching an object (fomite) is very, very small. Spending time in indoor environments, with lots of other people near you, is far riskier.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S1473-3099(20)30561-2

This is why all the cleaning of aircraft interiors be touted doesn't provide me any comfort. I liked the suggestion in another post about masked silence in closed spaces. Especially because one usually has to raise their voice a bit on an airplane to be heard over the engine noise.

Also, this is why I have big concerns about the safety of bus drivers in school buses.

I came across this short article this morning, and thought some folks might be interested. It turns out that the chance of contracting this virus through touching an object (fomite) is very, very small. Spending time in indoor environments, with lots of other people near you, is far riskier.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S1473-3099(20)30561-2

Interesting read. The author makes some compelling arguments, but I'd need to see some actual data from a high-quality study (or, preferably, studies) to convince me that the risk of transmission via fomites is not worth worrying about. It does make sense that it's a lot more difficult to become infected this way vs. inhaling respiratory droplets, but that doesn't mean it's extraordinarily difficult. A one page analysis like this may result in my being a little less vigilant about thoroughly disinfecting every possible contaminated surface in my environment, but it wouldn't convince me to completely stop disinfecting any surfaces.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S1473-3099%2820%2930561-2

This article is interesting, but it's basically one guy's opinion of current research data, not any kind of firm conclusion. In short, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence - I think I'll stick with the previously published cautions for now. I just won't freak out if I have to grab something out of garage-quarantine after 2 days instead of 3.

This is why all the cleaning of aircraft interiors be touted doesn't provide me any comfort. I liked the suggestion in another post about masked silence in closed spaces. Especially because one usually has to raise their voice a bit on an airplane to be heard over the engine noise.

Also, this is why I have big concerns about the safety of bus drivers in school buses.

If most of the passengers wore masks onboard, the odds of getting infected would be very low.

But once they start with drinks and meal services, then people take them off and may never put them back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom