Pair of nice little wireless routers...

You can format the drive for Fat32, but you wont be able to have any files on it that are over 2GB.

Anyone have any luck getting the BT downloads to work? I have a couple BT files loaded in the download manager, but they are showing "queued" and 1 has had no activity, the other a very little bit.

Set up my USB device, partitioned EXT2 with Partition Magic. Can access it via network neighborhood (or UNC \\Wl500w\part0) so thats pretty slick.

Any ideas?

Havent done it yet and since I'm on the ddwrt firmware now I cant try to repro it.

Wasnt there an option in the firmware for enabling the download master to run on the router that by default is turned off?

Yeah, it seems to be working but it SLOW. Like unuseable slow. 3.75M downloaded in 12 hours slow... USB device is mounted and shared fine. I'll have to try to access it thru my media center PC to see how performance is.

I may try to flash to ddwrt firmware. I justs can't stop fooling with IT equipment ;-)

I was seeing a GB per minute, which is okay for sharing, but not so good for things like backing up an 80gb drive. That was with the asus firmware...not sure about what the ddwrt firmwares throughput is.

Some torrents are just gawdawful slow or your isp may be slowing it down.

With the ASUS firmware, I measured about 2-3Mbytes per second writing to the share USB drive, reading is faster about 3-3.5MBytes/sec.

With the dd-wrt, both writing and reading improve by the factor of 1.5-2.0. Enough for me to stay with dd-wrt, plus I have access to ton of functinalities that's only available in the much more expensive router > $200 (such as VPN, IP filter and a lot more)

I installed transmission (BT client) on the router, and it worked wonderful downloading several torrents (I set the limit to 5 torrents at a time). The down/up load speed is about the same with my PC. But in this case, the only equipment stay ON for the download is the router and the USB drive - probably 30w total, talk about green :)

I'll have to try that. Is the BT client a seperate download than dd-wrt? My PC downloads fine running utorrent, but the Asus router is slow and almost non functional.

I'd like to be able to shut down the PC and still download too.

The BT client is an app that you need to install on your DD-WRT router. DD-WRT is basically an embedded Linux OS. After flashing your router with DD-WRT you get yourself a little Linux computer, it does all the routing plus you can then install extra applications. In my case, I install Samba (for file sharing), Transmission (BT client) , and few others apps.

It will requires Linux/Unix knowledge or some learning to do all that, but it is nothing too complicate.

If you still want to do it, I can summarize some instructions.

Well, I got mine the other day and can't get it set up! surprise?

Out of the box, stuck in CD, followed instructions...not sure, but it can't connect. Shows the "local connection" is connected while going through the steps, but can't get on the internet...asks me to connect via a dial up?

Also, the support # in the manual doesn't work it's disconnected! and their support is pretty bad on their website. Just directs you to a bunch of message boards...finally found some discussion about problems setting up like mine and people said they had lots of problems, little answers...

I'm sure I just mistyped something or screwed up the order? but can't figure it out. I was hoping i'd get a live person to help, but no avail...maybe it has to go back in the pretty box...

Well, I got mine the other day and can't get it set up! surprise?

Out of the box, stuck in CD, followed instructions...

My (very limited) experience with these things so far is - IGNORE THE INSTRUCTIONS and DO NOT LOAD any CD that comes with it.

The defaults out of the box will probably be recognized by our computer. Once you have a connection, you can start setting up passwords and other options. Some stuff you may need to do wired, rather than wireless for increased security.

So probably, you want to see if you can completely reset it, and then try again, w/o the CD. I saw one review of the unit I bought my son, some guy (as a frustrated joke) gave detailed instructions on how to destroy the CD, all it does is give problems (that was a D-Link, IIRC, but it seems to apply to other brands as well).

Anyhow, there are people far more expert in this on the forum than I , so see if they agree.

-ERD50

As I understand it, the cd setup works considerably better than the web setup, so you took the right first step.

These sorts of things are almost impossible to troubleshoot on an internet forum. Heck, they're hard enough in person!

I take it the message about the "modem" is coming from your laptop. Your laptop does have a wireless connection, yes? Have you used it before? Is windows configured for the wireless network? Do you see a little pair of white boxes with a red "X" on them in the lower right corner? Did you enable wireless security on the router when you set it up?

Basically internet explorer will check to see if it has a valid open network connection and if it doesnt, it may be configured to try to dial up for one. So somewhere along the line we dont have a connection.

The router installation s/w doesnt set up the pc's connection. The configuration also only works well in a wired configuration, not a wireless one.

Have you tried plugging the little network cable that came with the router into both the router and your PC?

Hmm. I have the ethernet connected from the pc to the router, the other cable from the router to my modem.

During the set up it says I am connected via the little computer graphics on the right corner of my desktop, but when I try to go online it doesn't connect.

I tried both the CD and the web set up... deleting the program and reinstalling it...

I'm sure I'm just missing a step somewhere, but their support stinks!

I've had a linksys up and running for the past 2 years and was looking forward to trying something new...

My laptop has an intel wireless card, and has been connecting fine/easily to the linksys (except for all the excessive dropping). A few times it could "see" the new one, but the signal was really low and wouldn't connect.

I told you I needed the Mac version! this might be simple for you, but not me...!

You do have the cable from the modem connected to the 'wan' port on the back and the computer connected to one of the lan ports, right?

Try turning the modem and the router and your computer off, then turn them on modem first, wait half a minute, then router, wait half a minute, then the computer.

If that doesnt work, try a factory reset on the box (see the manual, theres a little button on the back) and then try to connect via the LAN port like you have it set up now. If that doesnt work, try the "ez setup" instructions (again, different little button on the back).

ah, I'lll try the restore...gracias el guapo conejito muy rizado

Back
Top Bottom