Palm Beach Post cancelation horror show

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
When we moved to southern FL, I subscribed to the Orlando Sentinel online, to get Florida news and weather. After a year, I switched to the Palm Beach Post online.

Canceling the Orlando paper was no problem; customer service did it with ease. Billing was monthly, not yearly, so I only paid for part of one month.

I've decided to go back to the Sentinel, which I liked better than the Post. Unfortunately, the Post subscription has just auto-renewed. They bill by the year. Their web site wouldn't allow me to cancel; had to call customer service. This I did (I'm very patient) five times.

The first 3 times, I was routed through a series of ads: "Are you over 50" (I said no). "Do you want $100.00 worth of coupons." (No). "Are you on Medicare" (No). "Are you on SSDI" (No). "Do you take more than 8 meds per day?" (NOOOOOO!) Finally, "Your call is very important to us...please wait..." Then, the call hung up.

The fourth time, I got a customer service menu: Subscriptions, billing, cancellation. I pressed 3 for "cancel." Long wait. Then "beep beep beep" - the call had been cut off.

I was ready to elevate the issue, but didn't know where to start. So I dialled one more time, got the menu, and pressed for "billing" instead of "cancellations."

After a short wait on hold, a person answered. I explained the situation. They processed the cancellation. When I asked if my nearly-unused subscription fee would be refunded, she said no...the year-long subscription would merely run out. She offered to elevate my complaint about this.

This is a rip-off. Is there anything else you can think of, that I can do?

Presumably the renewal was by credit card. Dispute the bill. You've clearly made a good-faith effort (above and beyond, actually) to resolve this with the merchant, so your credit card should reverse the charge quickly.

Owned by Tribune. Sold to Alden Global Capital in May of 2021. Big media. Certainly not local, and like most things that are just too damn big...terrible customer service.

Will do. Thanks for the reminder of something I was too annoyed to think of.
Even while the ridiculous ads were going on and on, I kept thinking "Don't get distracted...don't get distracted" but I did anyway.

Presumably the renewal was by credit card. Dispute the bill. You've clearly made a good-faith effort (above and beyond, actually) to resolve this with the merchant, so your credit card should reverse the charge quickly.

I agree dispute with credit card and state that you want to cancel now, not at end of the renewal. Newspapers are dead business, they probably make it difficult since they need the money.

Waste management has the same unethical policies. You must pay by the quarter, but cancel anytime during the quarter you already paid for, and they refuse to refund any unused portion.

When the previous subscription - not this recent renewal - was made, did it stipulate that one year auto-renewal was one of the terms and there was no cancellation? Those terms need to be spelled out clearly, and if they weren’t, they can be the basis for a successful dispute.

Auto-renewal was specified,but supposedly I could cancel any time. Well, that is true - they won't renew next year - but neither will they refund almost the full year's money.

I'll try the dispute route and see how it goes.

When the previous subscription - not this recent renewal - was made, did it stipulate that one year auto-renewal was one of the terms and there was no cancellation? Those terms need to be spelled out clearly, and if they weren’t, they can be the basis for a successful dispute.

Auto-renewal was specified,but supposedly I could cancel any time. Well, that is true - they won't renew next year - but neither will they refund almost the full year's money.

I'll try the dispute route and see how it goes.

Well you might not win your dispute but in a dying industry I can see no reason for this kind of customer treatment. All they have done now is absolutely, positively guaranteed you never give them another chance. They have turned you off for life.

2 other thoughts:
In my experience, the credit card company doesn't do a "Law and Order" investigation. As long as you point out your efforts with the merchant, they will likely give you a credit, probably without even contacting the merchant.
From a legal perspective [I am not a lawyer ] "cancel at any time" would be commonly construed to mean cancel with refund. Common definitions are the basis of the law whenever there is a contract dispute. If this gets to that level, you can cite this basic legal principle.

Darn tootin'. The five ads in succession had already done that, TBH. Even the New York Times - which I regularly cancel and then re-up when they offer a good deal - doesn't put me through that.

Well you might not win your dispute but in a dying industry I can see no reason for this kind of customer treatment. All they have done now is absolutely, positively guaranteed you never give them another chance. They have turned you off for life.

If you appreciate newspaper journalism. may I recommend the Tampa Bay Times. It's the last locally owned newspaper in the state, and it has the largest news staff. It has won five Pulitzer prizes in the last eight years.

I once worked with its editor, Mark Katches. He is the gold standard.

Update: It worked! The credit card company gave me a permanent credit for the 11 months. And the paper doesn't show up in my email any more.

I've already gotten one solicitation call to re-subscribe. Ha!

Update: It worked! The credit card company gave me a permanent credit for the 11 months. And the paper doesn't show up in my email any more.

I've already gotten one solicitation call to re-subscribe. Ha!

That's how you know it ACTUALLY worked! They know you no longer subscribe because now they are soliciting you. Good j*b!

Agree 100% - these tactics are outrageous. I understand that newspapers are in dire straights and need to watch their budget, but blatantly ripping off their customer isn't a smart longterm approach....

Back
Top Bottom