PC security and hacking!

albireo13

Full time employment: Posting here.
As I am getting older I am more concerned about hackers and my pc, phone, etc security. Hackers are getting more sophisticated each year.

We have an Apple MAC and a WIN10 laptop. The McAfee on the laptop has lapsed so I want to add something to that. Our MAC does not have any security SW added to it.

A few random questions ...

Should I get something for my MAC? Does it need it? I hear Apple security is very good. What do you use?

Same for my WIN laptop. What do you like?

As for password management, we have been using eWallet for several years now but, I am wondering if the security is good with it.

What password managers do you like?

I am not looking forward to being hacked in the future.

Thx,
Rob

For Win 10 I use Windows Defender which comes as a freebie with Windows. Just make sure it is enabled.

Also the only thing I pay for is Malwarbytes which runs concurrently on Win 10.

Good backups are an important. I just backup my critical data to flash drives weekly and rotate 3 flash drives on a monthly basis. This also gives me the ability to look back at a file to see some previous content if it was revised several times. I also have a Microsoft 365 subscription which gives me Onedrive as a primary backup to the cloud and also version control.

Yes, we use Onedrive for the laptop backups and iCloud for the MAC. I also have a local HD doing backups of the MAC.

We use 1Password to manage logins for our family members.

As we age, besides internet security, we become increasingly vulnerable to social engineering of many shapes. So your local network and systems can be tighter than a bull's ass at fly time, but the scams are increasingly likely to get us.

Another vote for 1Password, and when I had a Macbook I used ClamXAV when I bothered, and the built-in Windows Defender on my Windows machines now. But I'm IT-adjacent, and I rely mostly on good security habits rather than software.

We have an Apple MAC and a WIN10 laptop. The McAfee on the laptop has lapsed so I want to add something to that. Our MAC does not have any security SW added to it.

No third party security software required for you Mac. Apple takes care of it.

We have had many different security programs over the years and nothing works as well as our current one - ESET.

No third party security software required for you Mac. Apple takes care of it.
That’s what I’ve found as well re: Mac’s. Add on software has its own risks, it’s not necessarily all upside or better security.

I’ve considered a VPN, but that’s not all upside either. The good thing is individual users are small fish to hackers, so we’re usually not primary targets, but sometimes individuals can get caught in the net.

As I am getting older I am more concerned about hackers and my pc, phone, etc security. Hackers are getting more sophisticated each year.

A few random questions ...

Should I get something for my MAC? Does it need it? I hear Apple security is very good. What do you use?

Same for my WIN laptop. What do you like?

As for password management, we have been using eWallet for several years now but, I am wondering if the security is good with it.

What password managers do you like?

I am not looking forward to being hacked in the future.

Thx,
Rob

Don't have a MAC but on we use the ioBit suite and Windows Defender on our Win10 desktop and Win10 laptop. ioBit now has security for MACs. AFAIK we've never been hacked :angel: As for PW manger we use Roboform Everywhere. Auto updating between the Win10 and Apple devices.

https://www.iobit.com/en/index.php

https://www.iobit.com/en/malware-fighter.php

https://purchase.iobit.com/aff/en/a...aQOflVuENROe6WXenFQwqAKjKy8oZ0GBoCa5sQAvD_BwE

https://www.iobit.com/en/products.php

https://www.roboform.com/

As we age, besides internet security, we become increasingly vulnerable to social engineering of many shapes. So your local network and systems can be tighter than a bull's ass at fly time, but the scams are increasingly likely to get us.

+1

As much internet security that one can set up, it can be bypassed if one chooses to visit "sketchy" sites, or click on links in emails promising something for nothing, and/or push your for some type of urgency. So one has to be aware that one can be hacked "internally" if one is not aware of those possibilities.

As a minimum, you should only connect to the internet with a computer with a currently supported OS. If you’re on a Mac, you should be running OSX 10.15 or new or Windows 10 or 11. Microsoft clearly states which OS versions are supported, but Apple not so much. A good guide in my opinion - if your tax software supports your OS then you’re good.

As others have mentioned, Microsoft Defender (part of Windows 10/11) works well.

What am I talking about? Show me an Apple document that states OSX 10.15 is still getting security updates.

+1

As much internet security that one can set up, it can be bypassed if one chooses to visit "sketchy" sites, or click on links in emails promising something for nothing, and/or push your for some type of urgency. So one has to be aware that one can be hacked "internally" if one is not aware of those possibilities.

And the odds of that happening far exceed the risk of being targeted thru your network. We ran phishing awareness campaigns at work, with trap emails, and high level IT folks fell for it at embarrassing rates

It's foolish to think you're safe from old and emerging threats. You can be in a safer position, or not. But there isn't an OS or device that is impenetrable.

The likelihood of one threat being greater than another is not important. Every day users fall victim to unlikely threats.

There are obviously some businesses and individuals who will never get to a functioning, safer state. There's some level of smarts, experience and tools that hardens your internet experience. Here we're discussing tools, but you also need to keep looking for unusual events. That is really difficult to achieve. Effort is involved.

The best defense is your own brain. Old people are gullible and trusting, and often lonely.

Scammers don't need to hack/steal when old people willingly give them what they're after.

I use BitDefender on both my Mac and my PC. I am a long-time 1Password user across all my devices. I couldn't be happier with that.

What am I talking about? Show me an Apple document that states OSX 10.15 is still getting security updates.

You won't find that because Apple only provides security updates to the latest major macOS release (and other Apple Ones).

That's a different policy from Microsoft's for Windows, but it's not really hard to understand. Run the latest OS for the latest security updates on Macs.

The best defense is your own brain. Old people are gullible and trusting, and often lonely.

Scammers don't need to hack/steal when old people willingly give them what they're after.
I know plenty of old people that are brilliant and would never get suckered into these scams where many young people will still fall for them. I wouldn't make generalizations. Anyway, you are correct. Your own brain can protect you more than using an outdated OS. An updated OS can still get you into trouble if you're stupid. It's no silver bullet.

A generality in the 2nd sentence that is incorrect .

“All generalities are wrong including this one”

In addition to the great advice above
- make sure you have multi-factor authentication on all your "important" accounts which include social media, email, telephone, utilities & of course banks/investment & government accounts

- Social engineering is where most criminals get your credentials.

• Don't speak to anyone who calls un-invited. Ask to call them back if they say they're from.. say the utility or bank. & use the advertised numbers to call back.
  • Same with texts, invites to Social media etc.
  • Don't click on unknown links etc.
  • Use a password manager.
  • Bookmark links to your important sites like banks, utilities etc so that you don't mistype a url & get phished.
  • If a friend emails you asking for help, pick up the phone & call them back..
  • simple logical things, but we forget sometimes & it may take just one error.

Back
Top Bottom