Permanent Portfolio- PRPFX

Yeah, I didnt know this was going to turn into one of THOSE conversations. I figured it for a legitimate discussion where people explain the rationale for making an investment and its explicable benefits and risks.

I oughta know better.

This is my first post here, and I am happy to see PRPFX being discussed.

I think CFB is being too harsh with the PP.

A couple of things to consider:

1. Although PRPFX is similar to Harry Browne's recommended allocation, it is different from HB's 25/25/25/25 recommendation. Although it wouldn't appear that the difference would affect returns much, it does. When you compare the PRPFX returns with the permanent portfolio returns on HB's website, you see that they are the same some years, but significantly different in others. I think it is the light long bond weighting in PRPFX and the presence of the Swiss bonds that accounts for the difference.

2. PRPFX has lost money for very few investors. The opportunity to get a 15% return or better in some years without a similar risk of losing that amount in other years makes it appealing.

3. The recent cut in the fund expense to .95% will juice the returns a little going forward (I believe the expense was 1.11% prior to this year).

4. For someone who simply doesn't want to lose any of their money, this is a good fund.

5. For someone who wants a counterpoint to aggressive equity investments, this is a good fund. I feel more comfortable with speculative plays knowing that PRPFX is likely to maintain its value relatively well.

6. PRPFX has only performed poorly in times of low inflation. If you know this up front, it should bother you too much. As I said above, it's sort of a counterpoint to more speculative investments which would benefit from periods of low inflation.

7. The fund is quite tax efficient. What makes anyone think it's not? Look at its dividend distribution amounts--about 1% or so a year. That's pretty efficient.

8. I'm not a gold bug, but I like gold as part of the PRPFX portfolio.

9. A fixed income fund doesn't help you much in a period of inflation. Thus, I don't think that comparing the fund to a fixed income fund is fair.

10. Where are the low returns since inception coming from? Here's what I've got from the PRPFX website:

1983 - 5.32%
1984 - (13.09%)
1985 - 11.98%
1986 - 13.42%
1987 - 12.94%
1988 - 1.10%
1989 - 6.20%
1990 - (4.01%)
1991 - 8.01%
1992 - 2.46%
1993 - 15.45%
1994 - (2.93)
1995 - 15.40%
1996 - 1.60%
1997 - 5.58%
1998 - 3.39%
1999 - 1.10%
2000 - 5.83%
2001 - 3.76%
2002 - 14.31%
2003 - 20.44%
2004 - 12.04%
2005 - 7.62%
2006 - 13.82%
2007 - 12.43%

Based upon those returns, I get an annual average return over 25 years of 6.97%. Considering that much of that 25 year period had low levels of inflation, I think that's pretty good for a fund tilted toward inflation protection.

Going forward, I think that there is reason to believe that inflation will be a bigger problem than in the past, based upon the level of U.S. debt and the likelihood that high energy costs are going to be with us for a while.

It's not for everyone, but I think it's a good fund and fills a niche that no other fund fills. I would, however, like very much to see a fund set up that literally tracked Harry Browne's 25/25/25/25 allocation and put it together with as much tax efficiency as possible.

One can, of course, just buy an S&P 500 fund, a Treasury money market, TLT and GLD and there you have it, but the income that three of these funds would throw off would make the arrangement very tax inefficient. If you are in an IRA it wouldn't matter, of course.

I'm interested in any more thoughts on PRPFX and Harry Browne's thinking in general. I'll post the returns from the 25/25/25/25 approach later for comparison purposes.

I wouldnt have bothered, but you did mention me by name. :)

This fund is doing really well. Since I said I didnt think it was a good investment its set a record for worst 3 month performance since inception. Down more than 6.5%. I'm guessing it has around another 7-10% drop to go before doing absolutely nothing for 10-15 years. Yep, almost as safe as a CD only with better returns. Wait...what? ;)

The problem with the delta in the return numbers is that the ones you've posted dont incorporate expenses, trading costs, taxes and the cost of selling the fund shares. You wouldnt really expect a fund company to give you the actual (lower) numbers, would you? The chart I attached to one of my posts above (#41) is also from the fund company, and includes all costs and taxes.

Did I mention that this fund is very tax inefficient? Did I also mention 'buy low, sell high' lately?

To be fair, why would you include the cost of selling the fund's shares and the capital gains it might trigger if you are not selling it?

The returns I cited were simply the difference between the fund price on the first and last day of the year, plus dividend distributions.

CFB, I understand that you don't like the fund, what I don't understand is why. Is it too conservative? Does it not meet it stated goals? Does it not provide an alternative to just bonds or equities?

How would a bond fund provide the same return in a period of inflation? How would a TIPS fund provide the same return in a period of deflation?

It's the only mutual fund that holds equities that has not had a negative return in any of the past 10 years. Check it out.

It's had a tough quarter, but haven't most equities had a tough quarter?

Does it surprise you that this fund's returns don't follow Harry Browne's 25/25/25/25 mix all that closely? It surprised me.

Tell me again why the fund is not tax efficient? It distributes the absolute minimum in dividends that it is required to. Isn't that the definition of tax efficiency? The figures you are referring to from the website show what your after-tax return would be if you sold your shares. If you're not selling your shares, that information is not relevant.

Generally, do you believe that gold has any place in a portfolio? If so, what percentage do you think is appropriate? If you think that no gold holdings of any kind are appropriate, how does one take advantage of the occasional excellent returns from the PM sector? These periods are not as rare as you suggest. Since going off the gold standard in 1971, there have been two long bull markets for gold--1971-1980 and 2001-present. Thus, out of the last 37 years, gold would have potentially been profitable in your portfolio for 18 of those years. In the 1970s bull market it went from $35 an ounce to $800 an ounce. In the current bull market it has gone from $300 an ounce to $1,000 an ounce.

I'm not a gold bug, I just see the value of having a little in my portfolio. PRPFX is 20% gold and 5% silver. That might be a little heavy, but I don't think it's crazy.

I'm guessing it has around another 7-10% drop to go before doing absolutely nothing for 10-15 years. Yep, almost as safe as a CD only with better returns. Wait...what? ;)

Not that I [-]know guess[/-] care what it does in the next 10 - 15 years, what does the bunny say will do well?

Not that I [-]know guess[/-] care what it does in the next 10 - 15 years, what does the bunny say will do well?

I think that there is about equal risk of an ugly inflation scenario as there is an ugly deflation scenario, ala Japan.

For these reasons, I think you have to have gold exposure for inflation and long bond exposure for deflation. Of course, you want to have good equity exposure (energy services is my favorite) as well. Add some cash and you're back at Harry Browne's permanent portfolio.

There is an excellent discussion of the true "permanent portfolio" as conceived by Harry Browne over on the bogleheads forum (this portfolio averages over 9% when tested back to the early 1970s).

For those who are unfamiliar with Harry Browne's investment thinking, I suggest you check out "Fail Safe Investing" (available for download for about $10 from his website) or "Why the Best Laid Investment Plans Usually Go Wrong", which is out of print, but can be picked up used for almost nothing on Amazon. The latter book is a much more exhaustive discussion of the permanent portfolio strategy.

I am a big Harry Browne fan. I don't think it's different this time. Money moves around like a nervous locust swarm. The four asset classes of the permanent portfolio capture the gains from its movement in an elegant manner over time.

If "minimizing future regret" is one of your investment goals, the permanent portfolio strategy is an appealing option. As I mentioned above, however, the PRPFX fund does NOT really track Harry Browne's strategy that closely.

PRPFX is broken down as follows:

20% gold
5% silver
15% aggressive growth stocks
15% natural resource and real estate stocks
10% Swiss franc short term bonds
35% treasury instruments (of which about 20% are short term and about 15% long term)

As you can see, this portfolio is tilted more toward inflation protection than deflation protection, and it was the brainchild of Terry Coxon, a Harry Browne protege, but not nearly as bright a light IMHO.

If I were putting together a similar fund, I would do it this way:

20% gold
25% 30 year treasuries
20% short term treasuries
20% energy (no majors, just independents and service companies)
15% S&P 500

The only future assumption on which this portfolio is based is that energy infrastructure will require a greater chunk of world wealth to maintain, and that fiat currencies will be more volatile than in the past. Other than that, I am assuming the future will be similar to the past (which is an assumption on which the permanent portfolio is based).

Wow, so taxes and costs associated with ownership and sales of funds dont matter if you dont plan to sell? Then the investment has no value and any changes to the valuation dont matter either. How magnificent to measure only the benefits and none of the expenses of an investment!

I already well covered why I dont think this fund is a good investment: it lost money to inflation for 20-something years and then had a run-up only when gold and oil shot through the roof due to speculative pressures and are now headed back down. And so is the fund. Much further down. Its an expensive fund that has underperformed for most of its history, has not been positively or negatively correlated to inflation or deflation, has had a speculative run up, and is going to go down. Down, down, down.

Gold hasnt reacted as a positive or negative correlation to inflation in 28 years, so unless you're prepared to produce a chart showing data to the contrary, can we discontinue the 1930's mantras about gold and inflation? Any movements in gold are purely speculative.

As far as using the long bond against deflation, we havent seen serious deflation in almost a hundred years, and at the current rates, they wouldnt be very helpful in that unlikely scenario. With the small spread between long and short bonds, they're a lousy investment. And you're going to get killed when rates rise, as they most certainly will.

"It" is different this time. "It" has been changing constantly and its going to change more.

As far as minimizing future regret, if you'll be happy with your investments losing money and then losing ground to inflation when you could have done better with TIPS, then you'll be free of regret with this fund.

In the meanwhile, it seems the proponents of these investments either have a poor grasp of how they work, their risk levels, and unreasonable expectations for their returns, or they express talking points about the investments that arent borne out with actual data.

Perhaps you can go back to the beginning of the thread, look at the charts, data and trends that I posted that show that most of the platitudes surrounding these investments arent demonstrated in the real world, and produce some contrary data?

Maybe I'll change my mind.

Just in case the 'vs tips' point wasnt well taken, see below where a regular tips fund trounces PRPFX for the last 8 years , excepting the year and a half when gold shot up and the dollar dropped...but in the end the tips fund caught up. BTW, this is a period when PRPFX actually performed well...I wish there were TIPS-like results going back to the 80's because in that instance TIPS would have pounded PRPFX.

By buying and holding the TIPS directly, you'd have picked up an extra .5% in expenses you didnt need to pay to a fund.

Before anyone says "yahbut, this other fund does more than inflation protection", lets observe that it hasnt reliably done that over its history. The stated intent of the fund is to preserve the value of the principal and in some cases, improve the value. TIPS does that very reliably.

Also very tax efficient.

Attachments

• prpfx vs tips.JPG
    prpfx vs tips.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 9
Wow, so taxes and costs associated with ownership and sales of funds dont matter if you dont plan to sell? Then the investment has no value and any changes to the valuation dont matter either. How magnificent to measure only the benefits and none of the expenses of an investment!

I think you misunderstood me. What I meant was that I would prefer to have this fund's 1% dividend and more capital gain than the typical 3-4% in dividends a less tax efficient fund would throw off annually. For someone who wants to own it for a long time in a taxable account, I view this as a plus.

I already well covered why I dont think this fund is a good investment: it lost money to inflation for 20-something years and then had a run-up only when gold and oil shot through the roof due to speculative pressures and are now headed back down. And so is the fund. Much further down. Its an expensive fund that has underperformed for most of its history, has not been positively or negatively correlated to inflation or deflation, has had a speculative run up, and is going to go down. Down, down, down.

Oil shot through the roof. Gold followed it. Short term there has been speculative pressure on oil, but long term I think we will see a new floor around $100 per barrel, rather than $10 a barrel that we saw only a few years ago. Time will tell.

Gold hasnt reacted as a positive or negative correlation to inflation in 28 years, so unless you're prepared to produce a chart showing data to the contrary, can we discontinue the 1930's mantras about gold and inflation? Any movements in gold are purely speculative.

What is your definition of "speculative"? If an asset goes up in value consistently for several years, I don't know why you wouldn't want to capture some of those gains.

As far as using the long bond against deflation, we havent seen serious deflation in almost a hundred years, and at the current rates, they wouldnt be very helpful in that unlikely scenario. With the small spread between long and short bonds, they're a lousy investment. And you're going to get killed when rates rise, as they most certainly will.

I'm sure that the Japanese would have had similar disdain for a deflation argument 20 years ago when the Nikkei was at 35,000.

"It" is different this time. "It" has been changing constantly and its going to change more.

Inflation or deflation and recession or expansion are the only options. It can't be different.

Interesting discussion, though.

Google "price of gold adjusted for inflation. You'll see that its largely lost real value. It doesnt "go up in value consistently". It goes sideways and downwards consistently with very infrequent periods of speculative spikes, with very poor correlation to any economic data. I'm not going to have the "GOLLLLDD!" discussion again, its been done. The data doesnt support it as a useful asset class except in small amounts for speculative purposes.

We dont live in Japan and dont run our economy the same way.

Lastly, how various asset classes respond to the four economic conditions you mentioned are very different now than they were 50 or 100 years ago.

Google "price of gold adjusted for inflation. You'll see that its largely lost real value. It doesnt "go up in value consistently". It goes sideways and downwards consistently with very infrequent periods of speculative spikes, with very poor correlation to any economic data. I'm not going to have the "GOLLLLDD!" discussion again, its been done. The data doesnt support it as a useful asset class except in small amounts for speculative purposes.

Let me be clear--I do not want to have the gold discussion either. I am well aware that gold is very volatile and can just as easily go up or down. The fact is, however, that gold was $35 an ounce in 1971 and it was $800 an ounce this morning. Not that great compared to some investments, but pretty good compared to others. You know enough about HB's thinking to understand how gold works in the PP strategy. HB's PP strategy is far more subtle than "GOLLLLDD!", however.

We dont live in Japan and dont run our economy the same way.
In what way is out economy different from Japan's that precludes a long deflationary period in the U.S.?

If you included the decline in housing prices in the CPI, we would have a core rate right now of under 2%, which would mean that the long bond market is not nearly as irrational as some people believe.

I assume you are aware that it is not possible to escape deflationary forces simply by printing more money if you are in a serious and systemic credit contraction....sort of like right now.

Lastly, how various asset classes respond to the four economic conditions you mentioned are very different now than they were 50 or 100 years ago.
What's different? Credit contraction is deflationary. Inflation expectations, easy credit and poor fiscal policy lead to inflation. High energy prices lead to recession and inflation. Economic growth leads to expansion. I'm really curious about why these forces are different today.

It's true that since the demise of the gold standard, there does appear to be a long term controlled devaluation of fiat currencies, but that's about the only fundamental difference I see in today's world compared to the past when it comes to investments. Can you elaborate more on how investing is different today? Hasn't it always been a matter of finding the most efficient places to deploy capital, finding the most creditworthy borrowers at a given interest rate, and finding reliable stores of value?

Far from a bubble, I think that the price action in gold since 2001 confirms the soundness of Harry Browne's original PP allocation strategy. His strategy provides over a 9% annual return since 1972. How much longer of a period than 36 years do you need before you say that the strategy may be a sound one?

What portfolio allocation do you like going forward?

What has your investment return been for the past one and five year periods (if you care to share)?

BTW, here is the bogleheads discussion I mentioned above: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15434&sid=d7b6b6401e4069581c4219d5ac4a8882

Here are the results of HB's actual 25/25/25/25 allocation (through 2003): http://harrybrowne.org/PermanentPortfolioResults.htm

Here is a YTD comparison of the permanent portfolio to other passive strategies: http://madmoneymachine.com/portfolios/

I think I already answered all of your questions in prior posts in this thread. Have a gander.

Aside from that, did you actually just link to a chart with a custom graded Y axis to make a line thats almost flat look like it goes smoothly upwards towards the upper right quadrant? ;)

Investment returns? I retired a multimillionaire at 39. My average annualized returns are in excess of 14%. I'm down this year, but I was also down in 2001 just prior to making a killing. I'm up about 90% total in the last 5 years.

What would I recommend vs this dog of a fund? I'd buy broad based equities over the next few months and if I was in the right area, I'd look for bargain priced real estate over the next couple of years. I like "endowment" style investments such as the vanguard managed payout funds.

I wouldnt touch commodities or things that the investor doesnt understand, especially if the investor is buying them simply because they went up a lot in the last couple of years. I wouldnt buy gold or gold related products until they hit about $300-350 an ounce. Then I'd buy a very small amount simply because there are a good set of people that'll buy it and run the price up, independent of any economically or financially sound reasons.

I'm not above making money on other peoples irrationality.

I think I already answered all of your questions in prior posts in this thread. Have a gander.

I didn't see anything about why the deflation that has plagued Japan for 15 years can't happen here.

That's probably the thing I'm most curious about, especially since lots of folks think that fiat currencies can't experience deflation.

Aside from that, did you actually just link to a chart with a custom graded Y axis to make a line thats almost flat look like it goes smoothly upwards towards the upper right quadrant? ;)

It's the chart on HB's website. Starting value was 100 in 1970 and 2000 in 2003. That's not an almost flat line.

Investment returns? I retired a multimillionaire at 39. My average annualized returns are in excess of 14%. I'm down this year, but I was also down in 2001 just prior to making a killing. I'm up about 90% total in the last 5 years.

What was the source of your millions, if you don't mind sharing?

Wouldn't you be up 90% over the last five years if you'd been in PRPFX?

I'm not above making money on other peoples irrationality.

Irrationality is a relative term. You're the one who is down for the year, right?

I didn't see anything about why the deflation that has plagued Japan for 15 years can't happen here.

Principally because socially, economically, financially and culturally the two countries have practically nothing in common. To experience Japans deflationary economic situation, most americans would have to sharply reduce spending and begin massive savings programs, companies would have to stop capital expansion and begin shifting profits to paying off debt, and government supported corporate zombieism would have to spread far past the "big three".

I suppose one could argue that freddie and fannie and a couple of the financial institutions that have had to be bailed out are functional zombies, but I dont think that problem is going to continue on and be as widespread and tolerated as long term as Japan has. Most of this smells more like criminal endeavor that will end up being punished in some manner than broad based, widespread government sponsored corporate stupidity.

So I guess the thesis that strong deflation could happen here is possible, just highly implausible. And should it become prevalent, eh...stocks and bonds have traditionally produced fabulous returns in deflationary economies presuming that they werent accompanied by a depression.

You could say "But japans stock market has gone nowhere!"...the stocks of the well regarded non-zombie companies have done just fine. So I suppose the key learning from that would be to avoid index funds full of zombie companies.

I have to say that its sort of a boring topic to talk about, principally because it is so unbelievably unlikely to happen, and secondarily because its one of the first quick-draw responses often seen in goldbug conversations. As soon as someone points out that gold went nowhere for 30 years despite inflationary pressure, the "what about deflation just like japan!?!" comes out, only the person throwing that out usually has absolutely no idea about the implications that would have to be fulfilled for such a comparison to be fully drawn.

I know you keep saying we're not having "the goldbug conversation", but when you're pumping up a fund that holds significant amounts of gold, and proposing an alternative thats 20-25% in gold...well...yes we are!

It's the chart on HB's website. Starting value was 100 in 1970 and 2000 in 2003. That's not an almost flat line.

It is when you factor in inflation and then compare the results to other investments that arent full of lead weight. When the vanguard wellesley fund kicks your ass over a 30 year period using only two mundane asset classes with equally low volatility, very good inflation response, better dividend payouts and no threats of mailing out bags of securities if the fund should liquidate...you've got a stinky fund! :)

Plus the Y axis WAS manipulated to make the trend line look stronger.

What was the source of your millions, if you don't mind sharing?

So many questions about ME! ::)

Stock options given for job outperformance, real estate, and general investing...in roughly equal proportions. I didnt make any of it by buying underperforming, overpriced assets that I didnt understand and then watching them drop like a rock.

Wouldn't you be up 90% over the last five years if you'd been in PRPFX?

I guess I'd have to go look and see. Only problem is that I dont think that 5 years ago I'd have been very interested in a fund that had extremely weak appreciation over its entire existence and was full of obscure investments largely designed to overcome problems that I dont think we're going to see and for which available data shows an inadequate correlation.

Standing here now as its 'shot its wad' on substantial coincidental speculative appreciation that is already reversing itself, I think I'm still not interested. One last time..."buy low, sell high!"

Irrationality is a relative term. You're the one who is down for the year, right?

Hey, nice jab! I usually define irrationality as someone who looks at the available data and then makes a decision that is contrary to all of that data. Buying this fund would qualify. Anyone who looks at an investment and says "Oh my, its gone up a lot over the last 5 years, its full of stuff that is supposed to act in a certain manner but thirty years of available data shows otherwise, and its got GOLD! in it...where do I sign up?" is not a very good investor and is showing signs of irrationality. A rational investor buys underpriced products with good prospects for future returns, or steady return products that produce a reasonable real return equal to or in excess of the assumed risk.

And isnt practically everyone down this year? If you're invested in a manner to have avoided all paper losses, you probably missed out badly on all the upside in the past and the future. If you changed allocations just in time to avoid the downturns in almost every asset class, then you were nothing short of lucky.

Why...even PRPFX is down for the year!

Anyone that bought this fund 5 years ago and lucked out into a nice speculative return...you might seriously consider divesting yourself of it promptly. You may thank me profusely in a year or two...

This has been a fascinating conversation to have had for the third or fourth time, thanks for all the memories...:p

Those are good thoughts bunny. I appreciate the feedback.

Believe it or not, on the WHOLE internet, yours is the only voice that I have found that is solidly anti-PRPFX with a lot of coherent reasoning behind it.

Hopefully people who are interested in this fund will come across this discussion.

It will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Which of Harry Browne's writing have you read? I've read most of them, and he was really a unique voice. If you haven't checked out that bogleheads thread I linked to, you (or anyone else here) might want to. It's a good discussion of the PP strategy and other similar approaches.

What are your thoughts on the baby boomers mass exodus from the work force and what that might do to future stock market returns and the productivity of the U.S. economy? Part of what hurt Japan in the last 20 years has been a similar aging of a large band of the population.

Does the level of U.S. government debt and unfunded future entitlements trouble you? It bothers me a little. I don't know how healthy an economy can be with the levels of taxation that will be necessary to pay all those future promises. If you add in a few more energy security related military engagements, that just muddies the water even more.

If you are interested in a little different take on things that may have a few nuggets of truth, check out the "Crash Course" here: http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse

You probably won't agree with all of it, but I think it is a useful perspective to have as part of an overall investment strategy.

1. US stock
2. US intermediate treasuries
3. Foriegn fixed - closed end fund
4. Foriegn stock
5. Real estate
6. Physical PM - gold, platinum, silver
7. Mining, resource stocks - gold, copper, other, oil, gas.
8. I skipped commodities ??

My version of Harry Browne from the late 70's early 80's before the relentless march of my Index 500 in 401k overwhelmed it in the long haul.

The portfolio wasn't all that bad - but I picked the wrong two decades and became more and more a Boglehead as time went on - including some Psst Wellesley(a little forum humor).

heh heh heh - :cool: Now my crystal ball is giving hints of inflation ahead - but I am not going back - will stick with Target Retirement and adjust to hold an SEC yield 'floor' of 3% plus this time around.

anti-PRPFX

I'm not against any particular thing. What I'm against is people buying investments they dont understand, with unrealistic performance expectations coupled with an inability to articulate where they expect those returns to come from.

Right next to that are folks who persistently make claims about investments and asset classes when a mountainload of data suggests a very different conclusion.

Right next to that are people who get excited about an asset class that has run up and want to jump on the bandwagon, figuring the train will keep on rolling.

As far as being the only voice on the internet who doesnt think this is a worthy investment, a quick google search turned up the following:

Permanent Portfolio PRPFX

Lots of discussion on the fundalarm board, not much of it very positive.

As far as being the only voice on the internet who doesnt think this is a worthy investment, a quick google search turned up the following:

Permanent Portfolio PRPFX

Lots of discussion on the fundalarm board, not much of it very positive.

Fundalarm has a significant user base which is invested in this fund- myself included.

Most of the core posters (rono, others) are still holding and in some cases buying more (I am also buying more). There have een negative posts about performance chasers getting out.

I use this fund for my "secondary cash"- cash I would have in taxable accounts for mid term expenses 3-10 years down the line. The position I have is less than 1/200 of my portfolio. That is less than 1/2 of 1%.

Thats a very good amount.

Fundalarm has this to say about the fund:

"1. Mr. Cuggino is the manager, sole member, President and Chief Executive Officer of Pacific Heights.
2. shareholders of the Permanent Portfolio fund have paid $10,641,000 to Pacific Heights for its services over the past three years. For the year ended 1/31/07, shareholders paid $5,615,303 for Pacific Heights' services.
3. Mr. Cuggino's total investment in the Permanent Portfolio fund is somewhere between $1 and $10,000. And that ownership occurs "[t]hrough Mr Cuggino's ownership of Pacific Heights" rather than through a personal investment. I guess that's an improvement from last year when "As of April 30, 2006, Mr. Cuggino and his immediate family members owned no shares of the Fund" (SAI, 5/30/06).
Mr. Cuggino also "has day-to-day management responsibilities [for] certain personal accounts. The management of the Fund's Portfolios and these other accounts may result in Mr. Cuggino devoting unequal time and attention to the management of the Fund's Portfolios and these other accounts. If Mr. Cuggino identifies a limited investment opportunity which may be suitable for more than one Portfolio or other account, a Portfolio may not be able to take full advantage of that opportunity."
So, the warning is that Mr. C. might become too interested in management of his personal account to devote full time and attention to his fund. And if he finds a really interesting little investment, he might allocate it between his personal account and his fund in a way that doesn't allow the fund "to take full advantage of that opportunity." ."

Rather faint praise. The fund manager and his family have practically no money in the fund and his contract lets him keep his best discoveries in his own account to the exclusion of the fund.

Could you point me to a thread on Fundalarm where this 'significant ownership' and positive comments are made? All the threads I looked at basically said the same thing I've been saying. Maybe I missed something.

Thats a very good amount.

Fundalarm has this to say about the fund:

"1. Mr. Cuggino is the manager, sole member, President and Chief Executive Officer of Pacific Heights.
2. shareholders of the Permanent Portfolio fund have paid $10,641,000 to Pacific Heights for its services over the past three years. For the year ended 1/31/07, shareholders paid $5,615,303 for Pacific Heights' services.
3. Mr. Cuggino's total investment in the Permanent Portfolio fund is somewhere between $1 and $10,000. And that ownership occurs "[t]hrough Mr Cuggino's ownership of Pacific Heights" rather than through a personal investment. I guess that's an improvement from last year when "As of April 30, 2006, Mr. Cuggino and his immediate family members owned no shares of the Fund" (SAI, 5/30/06).
Mr. Cuggino also "has day-to-day management responsibilities [for] certain personal accounts. The management of the Fund's Portfolios and these other accounts may result in Mr. Cuggino devoting unequal time and attention to the management of the Fund's Portfolios and these other accounts. If Mr. Cuggino identifies a limited investment opportunity which may be suitable for more than one Portfolio or other account, a Portfolio may not be able to take full advantage of that opportunity."
So, the warning is that Mr. C. might become too interested in management of his personal account to devote full time and attention to his fund. And if he finds a really interesting little investment, he might allocate it between his personal account and his fund in a way that doesn't allow the fund "to take full advantage of that opportunity." ."

Rather faint praise. The fund manager and his family have practically no money in the fund and his contract lets him keep his best discoveries in his own account to the exclusion of the fund.

Could you point me to a thread on Fundalarm where this 'significant ownership' and positive comments are made? All the threads I looked at basically said the same thing I've been saying. Maybe I missed something.

Here are the threads I found with a search of PRPFX

Hey Rono, Jughead, Desi, Betty, and all

PRPFX redemptions

Permanent Portfolio (PRPFX) is it time to buy??

PRPFX

long term chart of PRPFX

Permanent Portfolio (PRPFX) is it time to sell??

forgive thread duplication- I tried to only link to first post of numerous threads. I think some of these are pro, some are con and the advice to anyone is worth exactly what you paid for it.

I had read those. I frankly didnt find much of anything constructively positive about the fund in them, nor did I see anything about widespread significant ownership of the fund by the Fundalarm membership. Looks to me like a handful of people have a very small amount of money invested and maybe one or two have a little more.

Interesting that your first quoted thread runs off another thread "to all goldbugs".

I think that pretty much sums it up. The few people in the fund were using it as a gold substitute in case 'things go bad' and several were concerned by how much the fund had run up and were considering bailing.

Not much praise, and faint at that.

Here are the threads I found with a search of PRPFX
Hey Rono, Jughead, Desi, Betty, and all
FWIW, Rono admits that he trades like a hyperactive overcaffeinated bunny rabbit. Good guy but his annual portfolio turnover is probably measured in the thousands of percent.

Jughead sold his house in 2003 because he feared that its resale value would [-]crash[/-] revert to the mean any minute. While he moved into a rental he "rebalanced" his portfolio into (among other things) at least 25% cash and 25% gold. I don't know if he's ever going to own a home again.

These people are not nuts or whackos, although as of a couple years ago they weren't retired either. But they don't view asset allocation like 99.99% of the rest of the human race, let alone like Bernstein or Malkiel.

Ah, what a difference three months can make....

[The reason Japan-style deflation couldn't happen in the U.S. is] principally because socially, economically, financially and culturally the two countries have practically nothing in common.

To experience Japans deflationary economic situation, most americans would have to sharply reduce spending and begin massive savings programs, companies would have to stop capital expansion and begin shifting profits to paying off debt, and government supported corporate zombieism would have to spread far past the "big three".

I suppose one could argue that freddie and fannie and a couple of the financial institutions that have had to be bailed out are functional zombies, but I dont think that problem is going to continue on and be as widespread and tolerated as long term as Japan has. Most of this smells more like criminal endeavor that will end up being punished in some manner than broad based, widespread government sponsored corporate stupidity.

So I guess the thesis that strong deflation could happen here is possible, just highly implausible. And should it become prevalent, eh...stocks and bonds have traditionally produced fabulous returns in deflationary economies presuming that they werent accompanied by a depression.

You could say "But japans stock market has gone nowhere!"...the stocks of the well regarded non-zombie companies have done just fine. So I suppose the key learning from that would be to avoid index funds full of zombie companies.

I have to say that its sort of a boring topic to talk about, principally because it is so unbelievably unlikely to happen, and secondarily because its one of the first quick-draw responses often seen in goldbug conversations. As soon as someone points out that gold went nowhere for 30 years despite inflationary pressure, the "what about deflation just like japan!?!" comes out, only the person throwing that out usually has absolutely no idea about the implications that would have to be fulfilled for such a comparison to be fully drawn.

FWIW, I think that both Wellesley and PRPFX are good buys right now.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom