Phones that record our location very well

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I checked this out and it is amazing how the iPhone really does track where you spend your time to within a few houses on a block. I turned the location tracking off.

Your iPhone knows where you’ve been, puts it on a map - TechBlog

This isn't new, but what amazed me was how easy it is to get a map showing everywhere I have been. If you enemies get their hands on this, it's all over! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I checked this out and it is amazing how the iPhone really does track where you spend your time to within a few houses on a block. I turned the location tracking off.

Your iPhone knows where you’ve been, puts it on a map - TechBlog

This isn't new, but what amazed me was how easy it is to get a map showing everywhere I have been. If you enemies get their hands on this, it's all over! :rolleyes:

I want a map that shows me where my phone is right now. And my car keys too if it's not too much trouble.

You betcha an iphone knows where you're at. Here's a screen shot from this morning's hike. I walked across the footbridge that is maybe 10' from where my hiked path per GPS in red.

Attachments

• hike.jpg
    hike.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 20
Apple makes it easy to track other folks too - it's opt in of course - using the Friends and Family app on the iPhone. I use this to keep track of both of my parents.

I do reciprocate - they can see where I am too. I'm sure I bore them ;-)

I guess that is why everyone in Breaking Bad had cheap old fashioned mobile phones and regularly destroyed them. Saul had a whole drawerful!

Smart phones have built-in GPS, the same as what is in your dedicated navigation devices such as Garmin, TomTom, etc... Hence, the position is just as accurate.

More than that, when inside buildings where no line-of-sights exist to the GPS satellites, a cruder position can be estimated using the adjacent cell towers that the smartphone can get signals from. That's what a Garmin cannot do.

Smart phones have built-in GPS, the same as what is in your dedicated navigation devices such as Garmin, TomTom, etc... Hence, the position is just as accurate.

More than that, when inside buildings where no line-of-sights exist to the GPS satellites, a cruder position can be estimated using the adjacent cell towers that the smartphone can get signals from. That's what a Garmin cannot do.

I'm waiting for smartphones to get survey grade GPS accuracy. Today's survey grade GPS receivers not only receive data from GPS satellites, but also maintain data links to continuously operating reference stations having known positions. These data links are generated through cell phone sim cards. The result is centimeter accuracy.

Smartphones should be able to incorporate this technology easily if they can receive the data from the referencing stations. I'm not sure how important it is to know a cell phone's location within a centimeter though

Sorry when I casually compared smartphones to a Garmin.

I meant the common consumer-grade Garmin, not the surveyor grade. Of course we know that, but laymen do not appreciate the difference.

While all of my coworkers have company issued iphones I stick to my old flip phone. I have the same mobile number I had 20 years ago and refuse to turn it over. I keep using the same excuse that I just renewed a 2 year plan and can't switch over now.

No GPS or big brother stuff here. I also note that many long time top producing salesmen that I call on have antique cell phones. It's amazing what you can get done when you just talk to someone.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for smartphones to get survey grade GPS accuracy.

Probably not far off. DW and I use the Find Friends app frequently to see where each other is, and I've noticed that it will often show me which room of the house she is in. Pretty impressive!

Back
Top Bottom