Pickleball Life

Why did you give up golf for pickle ball?

Is it better exercise? Less demanding of time than driving to the golf course, waiting for tee times?

I want to mix up my walks with some other activity which isn't too stressful on my knees and body. I can't even shoot baskets without my arthritic knee bothering me afterwards.

How much do you move in pickle ball with hard starts and stops? Or lunges?

I would say that Pickleball has more cardiovascular benefits than golf, although probably close to tennis if playing doubles in each sport. Also even though I am a decent golfer, I am a better Pickleball player and just have more fun.

Yeah in terms of time, the most time I wait between games is about 10 minutes but usually less time. Plus in golf there is a time commitment typically if one is playing with their buddies vs. most pickleball games for me are with random large groups of folks and thus no commitment to stay if one wishes to stop.

As for stress on the body, it largely depends on what level one plays at and with what age group.
The older the age group and the lesser the level, usually the less stress on the body.
At the higher levels of play, there does tend to be some starts/stops, more lateral movement, some stress on the knees and the lower back.

Why did you give up golf for pickle ball?

Is it better exercise? Less demanding of time than driving to the golf course, waiting for tee times?

I want to mix up my walks with some other activity which isn't too stressful on my knees and body. I can't even shoot baskets without my arthritic knee bothering me afterwards.

How much do you move in pickle ball with hard starts and stops? Or lunges?
I play golf and pickleball. Pickleball is definitely better exercise, and far less time - in my case 1-1/2 to 2 hours versus 4-5. How stressful pickleball is on your body is up to you, you can hard start/stop and lunge - or not. But if shooting baskets bothers your knee, I can’t imagine enjoying pickleball.

Just heard on a podcast that there have been fist fights breaking out. Especially like in some homeowner communities which installed and then removed pickle ball courts because of the noise.

Now they're coming out with special equipment with coating to reduce noise. Racquets and balls would have this sound-deadening tech. But it could change the dynamics of the sport, maybe ball doesn't move as fast. That could impact competitive matches.

There are also disputes over noise at some public venues too.

John McEnroe will demonstrate this less noisy equipment at some event.

Wow, no wonder tennis players are sore, their sport is being usurped by pickle ball.

Most courts in the newer communities in Florida are built with some distance away from the housing.
There are also many courts built in sports complexes where there isn't any housing.
I have heard and read about the tennis/Pickleball feud but have not witnessed it personally.
Yes, some tennis courts are being converted to Pickleball courts and amongst some tennis players there is not a full recognition of Pickleball as a sport.

I have not seen the deadening type balls/paddles and if it would change the game enough, not sure it would be accepted by the players unless mandated.

I play indoors during the winter in a remodeled retail store converted to five pickleball courts. The game and where people play is still evolving. Except at lower/beginner levels, pickleball is much harder on the body than walking or golf. I’ve had a number of injuries this year, although nothing that hasn’t resolved with rest/taking days off. I’m bad at golf but pretty good at pickleball.

Yes, for sure. I was playing 2-3 times a week and recently injured my knee while playing. Not sure when I can play again now...

my very active 81 year old MIL injured herself playing pickleball a few months ago. Broke her hip and wrist on the same fall, probably going for a low shot. She said her pickleball days are over.

They are building a new "sport" facility here. It will have many pickle ball spaces, along with a lap pool and large olympic type pool, and I don't know what else. They passed a bond a few years ago and are just now getting around to building.
A lot of the outside courts have been shut down due to neighborhood noise complaints.

I have not played pickleball, but with a weak knee, probably not a good idea to try. I will go swimming once they open. Our current community pool is older than I am and in very bad shape.

Be careful with injuries. It could cost $400,000,000. New article.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/27/business/pickleball-injuries-cost-health-care/index.html

I saw an article a while back about people living in the vicinity of pickleball courts complaining about the noise generated from playing the game affecting life in their neighborhoods.

Wear hearing protection to be safe.

I play with a large group of seniors and have seen many injuries. Unlike tennis, it is very prone to falls. So be very careful and don't back up. I play tennis as well, which I still prefer, mainly because you have more time to think about your shots.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom