Poll:Immigrant: experience or heredity?

Your experience of immigration

• I am an immigrant to the US

Votes: 34 21.5%
  • Both my parents were immigrants to the US

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • All 4 of my grandparents were immigrants to the US

Votes: 22 13.9%
  • I am 100% Native American (Get off my lawn!)

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Some other combination , feel free to explain

Votes: 78 49.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maternal grandmother immigrated from Russia-actually What is now Georgia in mid-1900s due to religious persecution. She had 10 siblings-a couple stayed behind, one died along the way. Maternal grandfather was born in Siberia and immigrated near the end of WWI. Same religious sect, settled in SF. On dad’s side, before revolutionary war, from Germany and England. We’re all immigrants, but second generation on mom’s side.

Me and my parents and all 4 grandparents and their grandparents are Canadian born in Canada. I am a Legal immigrant (now dual citizen) in the US. I am also Black, which throws people off track as they didn't think there were native born Black people in Canada.

This reminded me of a story my Dad use to tell. My parents were also Canadian but moved to the States after WWII. Like you, I also have dual citizenship.

Dad's high school's b-ball team had two people of color. Until I looked at the team picture a few minutes ago, I thought there was only one person. The team made it to the playoffs in Toronto sometime in the mid/late 30s. The coach hesitantly approached him and asked if he would share a room with his black teammate as they would need to spend the night. Growing up with 9 siblings and not much money, he had no problem sharing. He did not hesitate to agree. It wasn't until he grew a little older that he learned about how many people would have expected him to respond to the request. Having said that, I know he would have made the same decision. He was friends with Doc (I think his teammate went on to become a doctor) but I really do not know the rest of the story and now no one to ask.

This reminded me of a story my Dad use to tell. My parents were also Canadian but moved to the States after WWII. Like you, I also have dual citizenship.

Dad's high school's b-ball team had two people of color. Until I looked at the team picture a few minutes ago, I thought there was only one person. The team made it to the playoffs in Toronto sometime in the mid/late 30s. The coach hesitantly approached him and asked if he would share a room with his black teammate as they would need to spend the night. Growing up with 9 siblings and not much money, he had no problem sharing. He did not hesitate to agree. It wasn't until he grew a little older that he learned about how many people would have expected him to respond to the request. Having said that, I know he would have made the same decision. He was friends with Doc (I think his teammate went on to become a doctor) but I really do not know the rest of the story and now no one to ask.

Canadian Blacks native to Canada are a hidden group to this day. Most blacks you meet in Canada now adays are children of West Indian and African immigrants. If someone Black from Canada tells you they come from or their relatives are from Nova Scotia or New Brunswick--9/10 they are originally Canadian for many generations. I had an ancestor that escaped from the US in the 1700s; and some ancestors were from the UK where my last name is a common Midlands last name.

My father left Nova Scotia and moved to Western Canada in 1950. I grew up amongst all White people. Dad moved there to get a job on the railroad as a sleeping car porter. I know what its like to be ostrasized and singled out as "different".

Canadian Blacks native to Canada are a hidden group to this day. Most blacks you meet in Canada now adays are children of West Indian and African immigrants. If someone Black from Canada tells you they come from or their relatives are from Nova Scotia or New Brunswick--9/10 they are originally Canadian for many generations. I had an ancestor that escaped from the US in the 1700s; and some ancestors were from the UK where my last name is a common Midlands last name.

My father left Nova Scotia and moved to Western Canada in 1950. I grew up amongst all White people. Dad moved there to get a job on the railroad as a sleeping car porter. I know what its like to be ostrasized and singled out as "different".

Funny, my Dad was born in Sydney and lived in the area for part of his youth. They left Nova Scotia for Ontario given bad economic times . Mom was born in Ontario.

Immigrant grandfather... the other three grandparents were born here

that grandfather served in the Spanish-American War and nearly died

Sampling error. You have to have a large enough number of respondents.

But interpretation is another thing. What did the op mean exactly? I interpreted it as you did.

And then there’s just internet orneriness.

OP here. I intended it to refer to being Native American (aka First Nations) as you and Katsmeow interpreted it. Perhaps a definition at the time of poll inception was needed.

My intent with this poll was to see how many immigrants, first, and second generation-types were here. I'm impressed but not surprised.

I've really enjoyed the multitude of famiy stories...covering the range from Mayflower types to "fresh off the boat-types" such as myself.

omni

Other - My mother's parents were immigrants and my father's grandparents were immigrants.

My ancestors got off the boat from England in 1752.
Surprisingly, they had no trouble being "without papers".
As an Open Borders advocate, I would like to see new immigrants be welcomed under the same rules as my ancestors.
Not so sure the Native Americans ended up appreciating that policy quite as much as you seem to. They kind of got the bad end of the deal.

A couple of great grandparents came from Ireland to New England, others came earlier from France. My mother’s ancestors came from England/Scotland to Appalachia and eventually to the Midwest. DH’s came in the mid 1800s from Germany and Ireland, so we are pretty assimilated. But our children married a first generation and a second generation from different parts of the world and that’s been a lot of fun.

Mostly English, Irish, and Norwegian immigrants from the 18th and 19th centuries, but a serious genealogist in the family just told us that our 10th-great grandfather was the uncle of Pocahontas! Move over Elizabeth Warren!

My dad immigrated with his parents from Italy- legally- through Ellis Island.

Most of my ancestors were here prior to the revolution. Most recent immigrants arrived in 1831 (gggrandmother from France)

Back
Top Bottom