Portable USB Charger

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I picked up one of these last night:

Duracell Instant Charger | Portable USB Charger for Cell Phones, iPhones, iPods, and More

Was kind of expensive, over $30 after tax at Walmart. But it solves the problem I had of having a simple Motorola phone that doesn't charge via my USB port on my computer. Now I can charge this battery, than use that to "juice up" my phone when needed. Plus, when I drive now, I can use this for my phone instead of having to swap around cigarettel lighter cords between my phone and gps.

That's pretty cool. I like the flashlight and the compactness without a cord. It looks pretty good sized.

That's really cool. Great that it can charge either way (solar or not).

I'll throw in my usual caveat on this - If you want to buy the solar powered version for the convenience factor, fine.

But do NOT buy it to save the environment. It takes a (relatively) huge amount of energy to make a solar cell. A reasonably efficient one must be in the sun, without obstruction, pointed in the right direction and the right angle, all day every day, and have all the energy it produces being used for about TWO YEARS before it produces enough energy to offset what it used to produce it. IOW, a unit like this is an environmental NEGATIVE, as it will never produce more energy than it took to make it under typical usage.

ewww, I had to look :

4.Environmentally sound:
You can use solar energy to charge your mobile phone whenever wherever.

I wish some real environmentalists would sue people for making those claims.

-ERD50

Nice item!

I've been using the RichardSolo 1800 (Amazon.com: RichardSolo 1800 for iPhone - External battery pack + power adapter Li-Ion 1800…) for several months, and I like it a lot.
But your Duracell unit, although lower capacity, is noticeably cheaper, and probably just as reliable.

My 1800 mAh unit also has a flashlight and laser pointer in it, but they don't do me much good. If I had known about the Duracell, I would definitely have preferred it.

Just did a test with my Duracell usb charger. It also charges up my Garmin GPS too :D

I'll throw in my usual caveat on this - If you want to buy the solar powered version for the convenience factor, fine.

But do NOT buy it to save the environment. It takes a (relatively) huge amount of energy to make a solar cell. A reasonably efficient one must be in the sun, without obstruction, pointed in the right direction and the right angle, all day every day, and have all the energy it produces being used for about TWO YEARS before it produces enough energy to offset what it used to produce it. IOW, a unit like this is an environmental NEGATIVE, as it will never produce more energy than it took to make it under typical usage.

ewww, I had to look :

I wish some real environmentalists would sue people for making those claims.

-ERD50

Old WSJ Salt & Pepper cartoon:
Dad to young son: "Forget about the facts of life. Focus on the illusions."

I use mine (which is a different brand) on long international flights. My Ipod Touch battery can't make it if I am doing a lot of reading on it in the plane and internet in the airport.

I also find the USB battery charger handy if I happen to be staying in a hostel, I just charge everything inside my locked locker -- in any case, I don't need access to a plug as often and I don't have to worry as much about security for electronics items. Also, it is handy in some hotel rooms. I suppose it would also be useful for camping type trips.

I try to get every electronic travel item I can with a USB charging interface to lower the number of plugs I have to carry. I was actually looking for a USB-charged shaver -- they exist but I never found a good one. I do have a USB-charged mobile phone and would never get any other kind.

Kramer

I try to get every electronic travel item I can with a USB charging interface to lower the number of plugs I have to carry. I was actually looking for a USB-charged shaver -- they exist but I never found a good one. I do have a USB-charged mobile phone and would never get any other kind.

Kramer

+1

I posted on this a while back, looking for cameras with built in chargers that would connect directly to USB for charging, no dock or other special stuff required. Camera makers seem to be ignoring this.

Cell phones are supposed to be standardizing - this was pushed by the EU to reduce waste with so many people trashing their chargers when they buy a new phone, and after a few years the charger would be an optional buy, as you probably have one already (remember when it was a big deal to some when a printer did not include the USB cord? Now everyone has a bunch of 'em).

I was disappointed when the kids got new Samsung phones - they have what appears to be a micro USB port, but it is a special one that includes the headset connections. Close, but no cigar - at least with the right (special) cable it will charge from any USB slot, better than needing a special charger.

-ERD50

I've never had much sucess with solar chargers for AAA thru D size batteries.

Darn it. Just saw this at Amazon:

Amazon.com: Tekkeon TekCharge Mobile Power and Battery Charger: Cell Phones &…

Looks pretty swift. (Someone has a great video review of it). Now I'm having some buyer's remorse. But I still like my Duracell too.

Well, I went ahead and got one of these too. I really like the Tekkeon. I've just recharged my cell phone (when it only had one bar left) and the Tekkeon still shows 3 LEDs (full state). With the Duracell, after one charge, the portable charger's battery would show low and I'd have to recharge it again.

p.s. Of course, to keep it simple, I could just carry along a USB charger that plugs into the wall, but that wouldn't be cordless and portable :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom