Post Vaccination Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a second cruise ship problem...precautions seem to be useless.

I wouldn't call it useless. There were two who were room mates and both were asymptomatic. Compare that to the cruise ship mess of March 2020.

Crap - fully vaccinated cruise? Hmmmm - seems like there may have been some fraud? I can’t read the article yet.
It was required that everyone over 16 both be vaccinated and have a negative COVID test result within 72 hours of boarding. All crew is vaccinated. Two passengers sharing a cabin tested positive two days before the end of the cruise. Asymptomatic.

I suspect someone lied.

Crap - fully vaccinated cruise? Hmmmm - seems like there may have been some fraud? I can’t read the article yet.

Just another illustration that "proving" vaccination is challenging. The cards from the CDC are easily reproducible and I would guess that on a ship of 500 passengers...SOMEONE probably lied. And fully vaccinated? Apparently this means "95% of passengers were vaccinated" according to CNN. I'm sorry...wouldn't FULLY be 100%?

No paywall, same story: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/celebrity-cruise-two-covid-positive-guests/index.html

Nonetheless, 2 positives out of 500 PAX and undisclosed number of crew members (Wiki shows 920-990 but probably not that many since they had a nearly 75% vacancy rate) is pretty darn minimal.

About 500 passengers are on board, over 95% who are fully vaccinated. Children who could not yet receive vaccinations were required to show negative Covid-19 tests.

Last edited:

Doubtful it was fraud. A certain number of fully vaccinated people are going to still get Covid. The bad thing is that the couple that tested positive is going to be left on an island and the question is how will they ever get home?

It was required that everyone over 16 both be vaccinated and have a negative COVID test result within 72 hours of boarding. All crew is vaccinated. Two passengers sharing a cabin tested positive two days before the end of the cruise. Asymptomatic.

I suspect someone lied.
Yep - seems the most likely explanation.

Just another illustration that "proving" vaccination is challenging. The cards from the CDC are easily reproducible and I would guess that on a ship of 500 passengers...SOMEONE probably lied. And fully vaccinated? Apparently this means "95% of passengers were vaccinated" according to CNN. I'm sorry...wouldn't FULLY be 100%?!?

No paywall, same story: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/celebrity-cruise-two-covid-positive-guests/index.html

Maybe 5% of the passengers were under 16. And even they were required to have a negative test prior to boarding.

Doubtful it was fraud. A certain number of fully vaccinated people are going to still get Covid. The bad thing is that the couple that tested positive is going to be left on an island and the question is how will they ever get home?

I can see how two unrelated people on a ship of 500 could be detected with a breakthrough infection. I think that it happens to be just the two people traveling together is very suspicious.

Same way anyone who gets left behind...which happens often. They will sit until the quarantine period is up then probably catch flights home. They weren't left on Gilligan's island. ;)

*The press release shows that they are still on board and restricted to their state room.

Same way anyone who gets left behind...which happens often. They will sit until the quarantine period is up then probably catch flights home. They weren't left on Gilligan's island. ;)

*The press release shows that they are still on board and restricted to their state room.

Not asking you specifically, but I wonder who's footing the bill. Is there travel insurance that covers this type of event?

Just another illustration that "proving" vaccination is challenging. The cards from the CDC are easily reproducible and I would guess that on a ship of 500 passengers...SOMEONE probably lied. And fully vaccinated? Apparently this means "95% of passengers were vaccinated" according to CNN. I'm sorry...wouldn't FULLY be 100%?

Nonetheless, 2 positives out of 500 PAX and undisclosed number of crew members (Wiki shows 920-990 but probably not that many since they had a nearly 75% vacancy rate) is pretty darn minimal.
Thanks, that’s actually a better version with more details.

5 days in - certainly could have been exposed just before boarding.

No vaccinations required for passengers under 16, just testing, so I suppose that could make up the 5% not vaccinated allocation.

Not asking you specifically, but I wonder who's footing the bill. Is there travel insurance that covers this type of event?
I think many found out in 2020 that travel insurance did not cover COVID situations.

2 people out of an entire cruise ship testing positive and being asymptomatic does not seem like reason to panic. As long as they are requiring almost everyone on the ship to be fully vaccinated it is highly unlikely there will be a major breakout. It’s even possible that the tests were false positives.

There are at least some available that cover Covid quarantine and trip interruption. Here's an example I looked at before a dive trip (that got canceled for other reasons). https://diveassure.com/en/corona-virus/

And one resort we know about provides Covid trip insurance coverage as part of their package.

2 people out of an entire cruise ship testing positive and being asymptomatic does not seem like reason to panic. As long as they are requiring almost everyone on the ship to be fully vaccinated it is highly unlikely there will be a major breakout. It’s even possible that the tests were false positives.
It's certainly not a reason to panic. It more calls into question how effective the screening can possibly be. Probably means people have to continue to be tested during the voyage.

That the only two with false positives would be the very two people traveling together - again that just seems very unlikely.

Last edited:
Yes, I know. If there is anything this past year has taught me it’s that the more implausible a story, the more people will believe it!!! :facepalm:

I dont think there will ever be a scenario when a cruise company will guarantee you can get back home. They can put you off pretty easily (friend hurt her ankle, was not considered stable, and was thrown off our first port of call in Ketchikan Alaska to find her own way back home on her own dime, prepaid cruise fare be damned. land excursions could not be cancelled either as they were an exception. they sent her on her own dime via ambulance to the local hospital to be examined. and then she had to make a 2 day flight journey back home. you dont just pop out of ketchikan on a whim and cross the country) One word from the medical officer that they cannot support your needs (whatever they are) and your butt is off for "your safety"

If they used fraudulent cards, they may be prosecuted.

If they used fraudulent cards, they may be prosecuted.

The Celebrity cruise departed from St Maarten and never entered U.S. waters, so the U.S. has no jurisdiction. If they forged a CDC vaccine card, that would have to be a crime in St Maarten and the locals there would have to choose to prosecute. Apparently the cruise line will allow the two affected Americans to stay on the ship in isolation and will return them to St Maarten for the regularly scheduled disembarkation on Saturday. It's not clear how or where they'll be quarantined once the ship docks.

The other ship that had two passengers test positive was an MSC ship in the Mediterranean. Those passengers (nationalities unknown) were not related and they and their families were disembarked in Sicily. That cruise line provided "protected transport" to their homes.

The other ship that had two passengers test positive was an MSC ship in the Mediterranean. Those passengers (nationalities unknown) were not related and they and their families were disembarked in Sicily. That cruise line provided "protected transport" to their homes.
That ship did not require vaccinations, just used testing multiple times plus required masks and social distancing in the public areas.

Like Audrey - I am skeptical about whether these two passengers were actually vaccinated. Not exactly random that passengers who shared a stateroom both had breakthrough covid.

Like Audrey - I am skeptical about whether these two passengers were actually vaccinated. Not exactly random that passengers who shared a stateroom both had breakthrough covid.
Right. They should have verified vaccination with a magnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom