Pow!Pow!Pow! Pow! Pow! Pow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scary stuff HaHa, I hope this turns out to be a one-off.

HaHa’s experience would freak me out also. We have a lot of gun shots in my neighborhood - lots of gun enthusiasts target practice. So I hear a lot of shots, but I haven’t had to hit the ground for safety reasons on my own property.

HaHa, hopefully it was just a quirk and this won't be a trend. I've been fortunate to never hear such shots where I live.

---

Oh, and can we stop complaining about Chicago? Stuff happens everywhere.

For Chicago: if you look at the map, the Chicago problem is concentrated on specific areas one needs to avoid. That does not include downtown or Wrigleyville, two common tourist spots.

Despite how wonderful the Chicago Conservatory is supposed to be, that area was strictly off-limits to me and my friends. Apparently it has been that way a long time, since that was 40 years ago. I never even came close and hence have never seen the Conservatory. Our family avoided it. The map proves that this is a dangerous gang area. Reading current reviews, you can apparently take the El to a stop close by. If you do, don't stray anywhere else.

Chicago shooting victims - Chicago Tribune

Last edited:
Despite how wonderful the Chicago Conservatory is supposed to be, that area was strictly off-limits to me and my friends. Apparently it has been that way a long time, since that was 40 years ago. I never even came close and hence have never seen the Conservatory. Our family avoided it. The map proves that this is a dangerous gang area. Reading current reviews, you can apparently take the El to a stop close by. If you do, don't stray anywhere else.

The Garfield Park Conservatory is a beautiful, peaceful place. I doubt anything much has changed since the last time I was there - convenient parking, low visitor volume. Those high homicide rates are not random shootings of passers-by. They are largely gang members fighting the equivalent of trench warfare. I guess you have to be wary of getting hit in a cross fire driving through the neighborhood but what, really, are the odds of that?

HaHa, hopefully it was just a quirk and this won't be a trend. I've been fortunate to never hear such shots where I live.

---

For Chicago: if you look at the map, the Chicago problem is concentrated on specific areas one needs to avoid. That does not include downtown or Wrigleyville, two common tourist spots.

I believe this too about Chicago but then three days ago things like this happen: https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnew...er-phd-student-fatally-shot/story?id=57590455 A young man moves here to study for a PhD and four hours later is killed in crossfire in not a bad area. There are a lot of guns being used here. I can’t blame anyone who decides to cross Chicago off his list.

The Garfield Park Conservatory is a beautiful, peaceful place. I doubt anything much has changed since the last time I was there - convenient parking, low visitor volume. Those high homicide rates are not random shootings of passers-by. They are largely gang members fighting the equivalent of trench warfare. I guess you have to be wary of getting hit in a cross fire driving through the neighborhood but what, really, are the odds of that?

But the innocent bystander does get killed, and not in the scary neighborhood.

Last edited:
Now I may have to go!

I worry less about driving than some tourist walking off looking for a coffee shop or something. The reviews say you are fine if you go from the El stop to the Conservatory directly (very short). Don't stray, and you should be OK. Try not to look like a tourist either. Crime of opportunity (robbery) is always possible. This is true in all world cities.

Now I may have to go!

I worry less about driving than some tourist walking off looking for a coffee shop or something. The reviews say you are fine if you go from the El stop to the Conservatory directly (very short). Don't stray, and you should be OK. Try not to look like a tourist either. Crime of opportunity (robbery) is always possible. This is true in all world cities.
Try it, you'll like it. Here is a picture there from about 40 years ago.

Attachments

• BillyTobyGarfield.jpg
    BillyTobyGarfield.jpg
    806.3 KB · Views: 37
But the innocent bystander does get killed, and not in the scary neighborhood.

In 2008 I went back to Baton Rouge to work for the last 2 years before I retired. The 16 year old son of a long time friend and colleague was at a “bonfire on the levy” evening with his 14 year old girl cousin and while they were looking out towards the Mississippi at the big fireworks display, behind them a fight between 2 youths broke out and they drew guns and started shooting. Missed one another of course, but one bullet hit the girl in back, severing her spinal cord, and another bullet hit my friend’s son in the back of the head, exiting through an eye socket. They both lived, the girl a paraplegic and the boy was paralyzed and with a huge loss of brain function. When I retired and moved away in 2010 my friend was in the process of having their house modified for disabled access as they hoped their son would soon be in a state where they could care for him at home.

My minister worked with children living in a housing project in a city of one million people. In Friday and Saturday nights, it was common for them to hear as many as 125 sbots. The little kids had PTSD and were receiving therapy.

I returned home last night from Chicago. While I didn't go into the most dangerous parts of town, the mall next to my hotel had been excavated. There were more boarded businesses than businesses open. This suburb is dying. All the neighborhoods we hear of major gang and drug activities have already killed their communities. People.shouldn't be required to live in such dangerous places.

---

Here is the map of the 2018 Homicide shooting locations, doesn't seem to be in One area to me, unless you call that area CHICAGO
Homicide Watch Chicago

UK poster - don’t want to be controversial, but if you live somewhere where guns are very rare, there are very few shootings.

UK poster - don’t want to be controversial, but if you live somewhere where guns are very rare, there are very few shootings.

US poster and I agree.

Wow Ha! I certainly hope this is a very infrequent occurrence in your neighborhood.

Alan: It is those stories of your friends child and girlfriend that are some of the saddest.

I am glad I live in a small city of 8,500 + people but we have crime here as well. As some said, it is everywhere.

True but then stabbings would dramatically increases as in the UK.

"Shocking statistics show incidents of stabbing have risen by 22 per cent in a year, with children as young as 13 among the victims"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ers-reasons-increase-london-why-a8326171.html

Sure, we have inner city gangs and drug problems etc. just like every developed country. The difference is that our underworld is not routinely armed with guns (there are exceptions of course) hence shootings are rare and mostly contained within the criminal community. The same is true with knives. Gang members in inner city may carry knives and cause bad assaults. The difference though is that no one, literally no one, has a gun at home and so can’t get drunk or drugged or angry and so shoot someone. Seems like common sense to me.

Last edited:
Wow Ha! I certainly hope this is a very infrequent occurrence in your neighborhood.

Alan: It is those stories of your friends child and girlfriend that are some of the saddest.

I am glad I live in a small city of 8,500 + people but we have crime here as well. As some said, it is everywhere.

Also in Baton Rouge our best friend’s brother and his teenage daughter were murdered when she broke up with her boyfriend who came back later in the day armed with a handgun.

I used to be a soccer ref until I was threatened with a gun one afternoon by a drunken parent after a U17 boys game. As I ran to the car I decided to give up the refereeing. I had already given up refereeing High School games after I had heard gun shots outside the ground one night.

In fairness, that applies to most of the US as well.

Exactly. We also lived for 12 years in a town north of Houston, population 120,000, where we felt extremely safe and never heard of any violent crime.

Here it is normally called "A settling of accounts" which sounds like a bookkeeping function as opposed to a Homicide and makes things feel safer and more orderly.

Posts about gun rights, gun ubiquity, and other related topics will doom this thread to a well-known pattern of claims and counterclaims that ultimately result in a spiral of increasing nastiness, sniping (pun intended) and the appearance of Porky.

Let's avoid this, please.

This is Seattle right? They just enacted a $0.05 per round tax on ammunition, so I hope the perps understand that cost them $0.30 extra! (If the six pows is accurate).

Probably gang violence, which is increasing in Seattle.

Perhaps the dead guy had fled to the "rich people's" neighborhood, hoping it would somehow protect him (more cops? ironic)

Or maybe the gangsters don't look at house prices when pursuing their enemies.

Either way, I'm sorry you had to witness such a horrible thing right in front of your home.

YThis was once a truly crappy neighborhood, and i hope it is not reverting. Single family 3 story town homes on very small subdivided lots sell quickly at $850-$950K. Who wants people shot in the street when he pays that kind of money for a home?

The difference though is that no one, literally no one, has a gun at home and so can’t get drunk or drugged or angry and so shoot someone. Seems like common sense to me.

"literally no one, has a gun at home" - how do you know this? I could *literally* go to home depot and get the parts necessary to construct a firearm in my garage, in an afternoon. Should I post the parts for you?

"and so can’t get drunk or drugged or angry and so shoot someone." - but they could use a knife, or a hammer, or a baseball bat, or a chainsaw, or a vehicle, or a ...

One must be careful with "common sense". Of course, Thomas Paine's "common sense" pamphlet was pretty good, as it was a driver in the colonies becoming independent from England. He also wrote:
The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside. Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

p.s. This thread is doomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom