Preparing for 2019 coverage

Rpharmer

Dryer sheet aficionado
I'm concerned about the (hopefully remote) possibility of living in a county with no participating insurers on the Exchange in 2019, as many counties only have one insurer now. There will be hints about this in the media in the coming months, as there were last year, but there won't be "assurances" of any sort until late Fall.

One way to obtain coverage appears to be by taking a class at one of our local universities, and enrolling in the student insurance plan. (Part-time students are eligible). It's actually not that expensive, the network appears to be good, and the deductibles and OOP maxs are in line with other group insurance offerings (as well as my current Exchange plan!). Just no premium subsidies, of course.

So, here's the deal: I've been accepted as a post-grad student for the Fall semester, classes starting in August. Have to buy the insurance within a couple weeks of first day of class. Effective date goes to January 20, 2019 (when the next semester begins), at which time I can re-enroll, or not, if Obamacare "survives."

Any thoughts? (No, I cannot afford any risk of a lapse in coverage, so this is my way of insuring against that). Thanks all.

Wouldn't an easier way be to look at insurer filings for 2019 rates? (which typically occurs mid 2018)... if your insurer doesn't file for 2019 rates then there would be cause for concern.

Where is your state insurance commissioner during all this?

Would it not be appropriate to have his/her office exert some influence on the insurance companies that are seeking to sell employer group insurance policies (aka lucrative policies) in your state?

take a look at the medi share type programs. We are seriously considering them for the time between ER & medicare. I'll post a link to someones excellent google doc that compared 4 of them. From what I could gather it was going to be about $6K a year for a family of 4.

take a look at the medi share type programs. We are seriously considering them for the time between ER & medicare. I'll post a link to someones excellent google doc that compared 4 of them. From what I could gather it was going to be about $6K a year for a family of 4.

Religious based Health Sharing Ministries?

I think that is a clever idea - my county only has one exchange insurer with a bad rep. I am still employed so not in immediate need but will be looking to see if I can speed up RE with enrollment. . . I have about 5 more years to work to qualify for retiree medical if they still have it . . .

Wouldn't an easier way be to look at insurer filings for 2019 rates? (which typically occurs mid 2018)... if your insurer doesn't file for 2019 rates then there would be cause for concern.

The CMS say that they "intend" to post information on proposed rate filings for consumers to review on August 1, 2018. OK, I guess, since the class (and my opportunity to enroll in the insurance plan) starts around August 20, I think. That's just cutting it rather close...

Is the rate filing a guarantee or just positive news? Seems like last year insurers were threatening to back out well after filing, given the uncertainties that persisted (and persist?) Granted, there were no bare counties in the end -- but I for one was sweatin' it !

Thanks to all for your ideas about other alternatives. Anyone have/had an experience with a college sponsored health insurance plan, eg, for your adult-child grad student (if not for yourself !?) The one I'm contemplating as my back-up plan to the Exchange is issued by Aetna.

Good suggestion! Keep in mind that those mid-year filings aren't binding. The deadline for insurers to stay in, get out, or reduce offerings for 2019 will be somewhere around the end of September. For 2018, that date was 9/29/17, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom